Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leake down for Arredondo

Leake down for Arredondo

Reds optioned RHP Mike Leake to Triple-A Louisville.
    He was sent down to make room for Jose Arredondo on the active roster. Leake was removed from the rotation earlier this month and struggled in the bullpen, so he's better off starting every fifth day in the minor leagues.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/player/mlb/5928/mike-leake

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Leake down for Arredondo

I would have rather seen Edinson Walkquez sent down and Leake back in the rotation

Of Leake's 6 starts 4 were quality starts
    Of Edinson's 8 starts only 1 was a quality start
    Last edited by Krawhitham; 05-14-2011 at 02:01 PM.

It's the correct move. No way Volquez was going to be sent out and LeCure has been very solid coming out of the pen.

Leake is a good pitcher, but he doesn't belong in the bullpen and he's going through a bit of a rough patch right now. Good move.

Welcome, Jose Arredondo!

Leake has an ERA of 6.24 since june 10th of last season. Nothing about that number means major league ready. He had a cpl good months, ala Gomes.

Good move

great move

malingered here too long malcontent's Avatar

About time.

Next up, what to do about Willis?

He's throwing strikes, something Volquez has forgotten how to do.

Quote Originally Posted by malcontent View Post
    About time.

Next up, what to do about Willis?

He's throwing strikes, something Volquez has forgotten how to do.
    We'll see where we are come July, I imagine. Volquez knows how to throw strikes for a month and a half as well, and you're seeing how that worked out in the long run. Sending up Willis, a project, based on short-term minor league performance and watching him get blown up by major league hitters isn't good management.

Winning the Human Race TheBigLebowski's Avatar

I have been very vocal in my criticism of Leake so, obviously, I feel that he is the correct choice for demotion. However, he may get some good coaching down there and some serious experience...and come back a different pitcher. I want him to prove me wrong. I really do. I'm also very excited to see Arredondo.
    “The crows seem to be calling my name,” thought Caw.

This is the right move. I think Leake will be a solid #3-4 pitcher. He should be in AAA getting some starts and staying fresh if he's needed. Since he's never even pitched in the minors, the experience could really help. He can work on some things without the pressure of being in the majors. Chances are at some point he'll be back this season.

It is not the right move, they just do not have the balls to send Edinson down.

67% of Leake's starts were quality starts
    13% of Edinson's starts were quality starts

How it is a good move to send down the pitcher that gives you a better chance to win the games he starts

Volquez has terrible stats, but anyone who's seen the games knows that he has had stretches where he looked good. He has the best stuff of any starting pitcher except maybe Bailey. He just needs to quit nibbling around the strike zone and go right after the hitters. Leake on the other hand has never even pitched in the minors. How can it hurt him to start a few games there and get a groove on? I'm sure if he's putting up great starts there he will be back in Cincy eventually.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krawhitham View Post
    It is not the right move, they just do not have the balls to send Edinson down.

67% of Leake's starts were quality starts
    13% of Edinson's starts were quality starts

How it is a good move to send down the pitcher that gives you a better chance to win the games he starts
    It won't matter. Late in July, this team trades for an ace that will be on the market. They know they can't go into the playoffs without a true #1 starter again.

Volquez will be sat down at that point if he's still struggling the same way.

I think if Willis were still pitching well, he'd be a threat to Volquez. He's struggled his last couple starts, so unless he turns it back up, we won't see him.

That being said, if Volquez keeps struggling and Willis has a few good starts in a row, I think we'll see him.

Turn Off Ads?