Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I Guess This is What it's All About

I Guess This is What it's All About

By most accounts, I can be sentimental, but not too overt. I can be described as an Objectivist, not religious, and an avowed political atheist. I need numbers, empirical proof and all of that.

Thing is, I saw that commercial on MLB Network today. You know the one. Cute kids riding on Dad's shoulders, sentimental music obvious in the foreground. I got choked up.

Last time I took Mom and Dad to a game, I thought it to be a logistical nightmare. They were in a terrible crash the previous Christmas and were dealing with various and sundry residual ailments. Slow to walk The steps leading from the parking garage to the main concourse. I was annoyed. They hated our seats, it was hot. The Red Sox were mercilessly bludgeoning Homer Bailey, and it wasn't a great time. I swore I'd never take them to another game.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Pop has been in a dizzy funk for the last eight months or so. Numerous tests were done, and an MRI found some suspicious abnormalities. Lots of them. The oncologist is flummoxed. This guy is trained to find cancers and either destroy them, or at least alleviate symptoms to make the transition to the hereafter a bit more palatable. I honestly don't know whether I should be happy that he couldn't diagnose the dreaded disease today, or if I should be ever more fearful of what tomorrow's cat scan will reveal.

See... Cancers in the brain almost never begin there in middle aged folks. He has shown no signs of lung cancer, he's had a colonoscopy recently. He doesn't feel sick. He feels drunk, and it's not getting worse. It seems like it's getting better. We aren't out of the woods, but we've still got a compass.

Point is... Baseball is my sanctuary. It's easy to forget that. It's easy to take it for granted. This is not that kind of game, though. This is a thread that binds families (especially one as small as ours). Mom, narrowly missed being hit by a scorching Adam Dunn homer in 2006 out in the Sun Deck. Me, sheepishly standing next to Tom Lawless on picture day, glove in hand, one sock higher than the other. Dad, rushing home to tell me he just wrote Paul Oniell's dad's homeowners policy, and how can I forget him for plopping down those two tickets to Game Two. He couldn't go, but he was fine with me and my best friend driving down to that World Series game by ourselves at age 16.

I don't know how this ends. I'm glad for that. I guess I will know more in the coming days, but I do know that the doc agrees that whatever this is, it isn't particularly aggressive. I have time, and I will drag those two whiners to another ballgame, or six. We need it.

Point is, it's easy to take it for granted. But we all know we shouldn't.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Likes:

bounty37h (07-09-2014),vaticanplum (07-08-2014),_Sir_Charles_ (07-08-2014)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: I Guess This is What it's All About

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    By most accounts, I can be sentimental, but not too overt. I can be described as an Objectivist, not religious, and an avowed political atheist. I need numbers, empirical proof and all of that.

Thing is, I saw that commercial on MLB Network today. You know the one. Cute kids riding on Dad's shoulders, sentimental music obvious in the foreground. I got choked up.

Last time I took Mom and Dad to a game, I thought it to be a logistical nightmare. They were in a terrible crash the previous Christmas and were dealing with various and sundry residual ailments. Slow to walk The steps leading from the parking garage to the main concourse. I was annoyed. They hated our seats, it was hot. The Red Sox were mercilessly bludgeoning Homer Bailey, and it wasn't a great time. I swore I'd never take them to another game.

Fast forward to this afternoon. Pop has been in a dizzy funk for the last eight months or so. Numerous tests were done, and an MRI found some suspicious abnormalities. Lots of them. The oncologist is flummoxed. This guy is trained to find cancers and either destroy them, or at least alleviate symptoms to make the transition to the hereafter a bit more palatable. I honestly don't know whether I should be happy that he couldn't diagnose the dreaded disease today, or if I should be ever more fearful of what tomorrow's cat scan will reveal.

See... Cancers in the brain almost never begin there in middle aged folks. He has shown no signs of lung cancer, he's had a colonoscopy recently. He doesn't feel sick. He feels drunk, and it's not getting worse. It seems like it's getting better. We aren't out of the woods, but we've still got a compass.

Point is... Baseball is my sanctuary. It's easy to forget that. It's easy to take it for granted. This is not that kind of game, though. This is a thread that binds families (especially one as small as ours). Mom, narrowly missed being hit by a scorching Adam Dunn homer in 2006 out in the Sun Deck. Me, sheepishly standing next to Tom Lawless on picture day, glove in hand, one sock higher than the other. Dad, rushing home to tell me he just wrote Paul Oniell's dad's homeowners policy, and how can I forget him for plopping down those two tickets to Game Two. He couldn't go, but he was fine with me and my best friend driving down to that World Series game by ourselves at age 16.

I don't know how this ends. I'm glad for that. I guess I will know more in the coming days, but I do know that the doc agrees that whatever this is, it isn't particularly aggressive. I have time, and I will drag those two whiners to another ballgame, or six. We need it.

Point is, it's easy to take it for granted. But we all know we shouldn't.

Wheels--

Sorry to hear that you have been going through all that. You are right to take note of the simple pleasures in life whenever you are faced with times like these.

God bless.

Best of luck to you and your family, Wheels. My Dad turned 70 last year, and he and I have always had a strong bond formed around the sport of baseball. I have been having the same thoughts the last couple years about not taking things for granted. Take your pops to a game and buy him a hot dog, maybe even splurge on some good seats. I have done so, and plan on continuing to do so until it isn't possible anymore.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

I really didn't think that post out all too well. I dont really care, though. Just thought it would be appropriate here. This is were my main baseball friends are. Things like this are really why The Old Red Guard was created. I just wonder how many of us remember those early days.

I didn't think I'd be using it for this reason so soon, and maybe I'm jumping the proverbial gun. I HOPE I am.

I'm not ready for that/this part of my life to be over.

It's precious, and Baseball is a huge part of it. We can't forget that, and we simply cannot allow ourselves to not appreciate every season, every game we watch. Kvetch, whine, comment, criticize.... But appreciate.
    Last edited by wheels; 04-30-2012 at 09:42 PM.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Well said, wheels.

Life sucks some of the time, but baseball is sanctuary.
    sorry we're boring

I really didn't think post out all too well. Just thought it would be appropriate here. This were my main baseball friends are. Things like this are really why The Old Red Guard was created.

I just didn't think I'd be using it for this reason so soon.

It's precious, and Baseball is a huge part of it. We can't forget that.
    I'm with you, brother. For the past several years I have called my Dad after EVERY Reds win in additon to taking several in with him personally either at his house or the ballpark. There isn't a word strong enough to describe how much I dread the day I reach for my cell after a win and he isn't there to call anymore. Makes me tear up just typing that, actually.

That being said, try not to stress out too much about it until you find out what it is. I had a similar episode a few years back. It didn't last 8 months...maybe 2 1/2 months or so. I went to the Dr. and he couldn't figure it out either. Same symptoms it sounds like, it felt exactly like I was drunk ALL the time. It was difficlut to sleep, I had no appetite, and to be honest it frightened me to the point of a near nervous breakdown at one point. Then, one day at work at about 8 in the morning, it just went away. I could actually feel it just come to a stop just as suddenly as the onset. Never did figure out what it was, but it never came back and I have checked out healthy ever since.

Obviously I don't know the details of what your Dad is going through, but I do know that I spent almost 3 months worrying, losing sleep, and not eating due to nervousness and it ended up being, well, nothing I guess.

Keep your head up and be strong...and at the very least watch a game on tv with your old man.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

As someone without their dad already, I can tell you its too soon no matter when it happens. I lost mine when he was but 46 and I was only 24. Way too early. We didn't get to do all the baseball games like you and yours have, so enjoy every chance you get. Take em, even if you have to roll your eyes at the situation once in a while. As the old saying goes, you only regret the things you didn't do.

Prayers to you and yours Wheels. We are here if you need us.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    As someone without their dad already, I can tell you its too soon no matter when it happens. I lost mine when he was but 46 and I was only 24. Way too early. We didn't get to do all the baseball games like you and yours have, so enjoy every chance you get. Take em, even if you have to roll your eyes at the situation once in a while. As the old saying goes, you only regret the things you didn't do.

Prayers to you and yours Wheels. We are here if you need us.
    Thanks. I really do know it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommyjohn25 View Post
    I'm with you, brother. For the past several years I have called my Dad after EVERY Reds win in additon to taking several in with him personally either at his house or the ballpark. There isn't a word strong enough to describe how much I dread the day I reach for my cell after a win and he isn't there to call anymore. Makes me tear up just typing that, actually.

That being said, try not to stress out too much about it until you find out what it is. I had a similar episode a few years back. It didn't last 8 months...maybe 2 1/2 months or so. I went to the Dr. and he couldn't figure it out either. Same symptoms it sounds like, it felt exactly like I was drunk ALL the time. It was difficlut to sleep, I had no appetite, and to be honest it frightened me to the point of a near nervous breakdown at one point. Then, one day at work at about 8 in the morning, it just went away. I could actually feel it just come to a stop just as suddenly as the onset. Never did figure out what it was, but it never came back and I have checked out healthy ever since.

Obviously I don't know the details of what your Dad is going through, but I do know that I spent almost 3 months worrying, losing sleep, and not eating due to nervousness and it ended up being, well, nothing I guess.

Keep your head up and be strong...and at the very least watch a game on with your old man.
    *deep breath*

Yup. Thing is, I really wish it was happening to ME instead of him. I'm not just saying that. I'd gladly rip those lesions off of his cerebellum and put them on mine. That's not hyperbole. That must mean I really care about the old cuss.

*deep breath*

Yup. Thing is, I really wish it was happening to ME instead of him. I'm not just saying that. I'd gladly rip those lesions off of his cerebellum and put them on mine. That's not hyperbole. That must mean I really care about the old cuss.
    I hear ya. I would feel the same way if I were in your position. I will be sending positive thoughts your way, Wheels. I really will.

Keep us posted.

I really didn't think that post out all too well. I dont really care, though. Just thought it would be appropriate here. This is were my main baseball friends are. Things like this are really why The Old Red Guard was created. I just wonder how many of us remember those early days.

I didn't think I'd be using it for this reason so soon, and maybe I'm jumping the proverbial gun. I HOPE I am.

It's precious, and Baseball is a huge part of it. We can't forget that, and we simply cannot allow ourselves to not appreciate every season, every game we watch. Kvetch, whine, comment, criticize.... But appreciate.
    The Old Red Guard is not what it used to be, but know that those of us who were here won't soon forget. Baseball is such a big part of my memories of my Dad, Grandfather, and Uncle who are now, all gone. Those memories of days spent at the ballpark, watching on TV, and listening beside the radio are ever present. Prayers go out to you and your family, my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN INDY View Post
    The Old Red Guard is not what it used to be, but know that those of us who were here won't soon forget. Baseball is such a big part of my memories of my Dad, Grandfather, and Uncle who are now, all gone. Those memories of days spent at the ballpark, watching on TV, and listening beside the radio are ever present. Prayers go out to you and your family, my friend.
    Yeah... Choked up again.

Thanks, Brother.

As an aside....

I know the ORG has lost it's focus, and I'm just as much to blame as anyone else.

We could have done a better job crowding out the noise if we would just stuck to what we always did.

It was always a mix of good Baseball sense, with an intrinsic personal touch.

We lost that for a while, but I can see it's coming back.

As an aside....

I know the ORG has lost it's focus, and I'm just as much to blame as anyone else.

We could have done a better job crowding out the noise if we would just stuck to what we always did.

It was always a mix of good Baseball sense, with an intrinsic personal touch.

We lost that for a while, but I can see it's coming back.
    I still think this place transforms back into it's old self when one of it's own really needs it to. Like this, for instance. Or when GAC and TRF needed it to, or when I was going through a tough point in my life in 2008 and needed support/advice. I got it here just as much, if not more, than anywhere else.

Turn Off Ads?