Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Detroit signs Jose Mesa...why?

Detroit signs Jose Mesa...why?

ESPN is reporting that Jose Mesa and the Tigers have agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million contract.
    This is unexpected. The Tigers were already supposed to have five locks for the pen in Todd Jones, Fernando Rodney, Joel Zumaya, Jason Grilli and Wilfredo Ledezma. Also, they still want to add a second lefty. If they do that, Zach Miner, Jordan Tata, Chad Durbin, Roman Colon and Rule-5 pick Edward Campsuano are all going to be on the outside looking in come spring training.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Detroit signs Jose Mesa...why?

I'd rather have 4 potential closers in my bullpen than 4 lefty set up men.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I'd rather have 4 potential closers in my bullpen than 4 lefty set up men.
    I really can't argue with that logic.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Maybe they can dangle one or two of the other relievers for help in other areas. I think you're seeing a lot more teams searching for good bullpen help these days, so they can have some significant value - especially if they're young, hard-throwing and cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by johngalt View Post
    Maybe they can dangle one or two of the other relievers for help in other areas. I think you're seeing a lot more teams searching for good bullpen help these days, so they can have some significant value - especially if they're young, hard-throwing and cheap.

I agree. Middle relief is the hot area to have stocked on your roster. It will get you what you want, (See Nationals/Reds). Teams will give the world to get some middle relief. The Reds have a ton of it right now. Old and Young. It will pay off for the Reds if we can all just sit back and relax until after Christmas. We have 60 plus days before Spring Training, so I am not worried yet.

Mesa has proven to be a decent relief guy the past few years for the Pirates and Rockies. I am not surprised the Tigers signed him. Jones has been a good closer, but he has also had arm problems the past few years and his ERA has been out of this world. Having a Mesa added to roster for a team that made it to the World Series last year can not hurt your team at all. I think it was a good move for the Tigers. Mesa has pitched in both leagues so he knows what it takes to get hitters out. He is getting up there in years, but is about the same age as Jones or pretty close to it.

If Roberto Hernandez can still get a job pitching, I see no reason Mesa can not be a good arm out of the bullpen. Besides he as that bulldog approach to pitching. Imagine having to face to tough UGLY guys in the 8th and 9th innings with Mesa followed by Jones.

We are in the age of Middle Relief being just as important as the closer. Usually the closer gets the bottom of orders for some reason. It is the set up guys who have to deal with the meat of orders after the starter gets into a jam. Jam is the key word. Middle Relief has to come into tough situations, while usually the closer gets to come out in the 9th to empty bases and can afford to give up a hit, while the middle or setup guy has to come in and get an out to keep the lead for the closer.

I am saying right now, I feel the set up or middle relief guy is the most important pitcher in the bullpen. If you do not have these guys, you do not need a closer.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

For a Level Playing Field

American League? Should make the Giants Omar Vizquel happy...

KISSIMMEE, Fla. - Jose Mesa says he wants to kill Cleveland Indians shortstop Omar Vizquel. Those are serious words, and they're his words.

The Phillies closer said it again and again in front of his locker on Sunday, and he didn't appear to be kidding one bit.

Asked if he wanted his words in print, Mesa said, "Of course.'' Mesa says he's not worried about getting suspended by Major League Baseball. Or perhaps even getting arrested. "Nope,'' he said. "I wanna kill him.''

Isn't Detroit a bit too close to Cleveland's Flats district?

December 1996: Jose met two women in a Cleveland bar. Within a week, the two alleged that Mesa sexually assaulted them. On the 27th of that month, the Lakewood Municipal Court issued a warrant for Mesa’s arrest on sexual assault charges. Jose was in his car in a parking lot in the "Flats," a nightclub and restaurant district near Jacobs Field, the home ballpark of the Indians, when the police arrested him.

After Mesa was arrested, his car was impounded. When police confiscate possessions they have to make a detailed record of what was taken in order to protect the person’s property while its in police custody. It also protects police against claims of lost, stolen or vandalized property. So before Mesa’s car was towed to the impound lot, the arresting officers conducted an inventory search of it.

Mesa’s car had a console in the armrest next to the driver’s seat. The console was closed but not locked. One of the officers opened it and discovered a loaded nine-millimeter handgun inside, further adding to Jose's troubles.

I am not sure how much of an effect it is going to have on the Reds bullpen this year, but I am crossing my fingers that Tom Hume's return as a full-time bullpen coach helps out immensely. Of course you can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a donkey.

Let's trade for Jose Mesa and then sign Josias Manzanillo again. The New Nasty Boys.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I am not sure how much of an effect it is going to have on the Reds bullpen this year, but I am crossing my fingers that Tom Hume's return as a full-time bullpen coach helps out immensely. Of course you can't win the Kentucky Derby riding a donkey.
    Hume's been there for several years and the bullpen hasn't exactly been good. Although you're right about the Kentucky Derby thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how his MLB profile claims with given no explanation that Mesa was born on 05/22/1966 while his first daughter was born on 1/15/74.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around how his MLB profile claims with given no explanation that Mesa was born on 05/22/1966 while his first daughter was born on 1/15/74.

We cleared that up earlier this year.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=10
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

Rodney and Zumaya are both better than Jones; I thought Jones did it with smoke and mirrors last year. I know, Zumaya did choke in the WS. Still, he's on his way up, and Jones on his way down. Todd Jones has had a very nice career, though.

Todd Jones may be available now? He seemed to like his first time around with the Reds well enough.

Remember, Leyland was the manager for the Pirates when the Reds bullpen (the "Nasty Boys") absolutely smoked his Pirates in the 1990 NLCS. He obviously learned a lesson, and along with the FO (DD) thinks his Tigers will be there at the end, again, NEXT year, and is putting a kick-butt BP together right now, in December.

But folks here keep telling us to relax, it's early, there's plenty-o-time for Wayne to cobble together a winning team. I was nearly exhausted by WK's frenetic moves during the regular season, and I am nearly in a coma over his inaction since. Patience.....
    sorry we're boring

Turn Off Ads?