Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Arroyo says he's happy in Cincinnati

Arroyo says he's happy in Cincinnati

Arroyo says he's happy in Cincinnati
    Listen to this article or download audio file.Click-2-Listen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Tuesday, February 19, 2008

SARASOTA, Fla. — Bronson Arroyo says not to take him seriously, especially when he is strumming his guitar and tinkering with words to songs.

Some Cincinnati Reds fans became disjointed when they heard about a charity concert Arroyo did in Boston in January. He sang a song called "Boston" by Augustana.

But he changed the lyrics and they came out like this: "I said I think I'll go to Boston. I think I need a ballpark where all the fans are there. I gotta get out of Cincinnati. I'm tired of the summer. I think I need the Olde Town to fill my heart again. Ah, yeah."

Arroyo said Tuesday, Feb. 19, he was playing to the crowd, to New England folks, to Red Sox Nation.

"That's all built into my personality," he said. "Once in a blue moon, I say something that people consider outlandish. New England has been good to me and I still enjoy going back.

"It was a great event to raise money and those people paid like $7,500 for a ticket," Arroyo added. "It's a great song and I was just entertaining people. I enjoy my time here in Cincinnati and I wouldn't have signed a four-year deal if I didn't want to be here.

"If I was traded from here and had an opportunity to come back to RedsFest, I'd do that same thing (change words in a song to fit Cincinnati). It is just part of my gig. I've changed words in songs every year that I've performed," he said.

Around the cage

Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. took their first rounds of batting practice Tuesday in Ed Smith Stadium and, as usual, levity reigned.

Griffey hit a towering drive to right and Dunn said, "Is it out?"

"No," said Griffey as the ball sailed over the wall.

"Well, you're 0-for-1 this spring calling homers," said Dunn.

Dunn drilled a ball into the right-field corner and yelled, "triple." As the laughter subsided, he said, "Why not? I got my knee fixed."

Of his off-season, Griffey said, "I thought I opened Christmas presents about a week ago and here I am in spring training already."

Griffey and his family moved into a new home near Orlando just two weeks ago, an abode designed by Griffey that he called, "a little bungalow, a nice little villa."

That little villa features 36,000 square feet with two bowling lanes in the basement.

A point of view

Pitcher Jon Coutlangus, standing in line at a food table in the clubhouse, said aloud to nobody in particular, "I got married in the off-season."

Said catcher David Ross, "Oh, that's too bad."

Quote of the day

"Matt Belisle looks like Paul Bunyan or Jack Johnson — a big, strong guy who won nine games last year for a not-very-good team and there is no reason for him not to win 15 this year." — Manager Dusty Baker.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...edsnotes1.html

2. Turn Off Ads?
    You're being very UnDude. sonny's Avatar

Re: Arroyo says he's happy in Cincinnati

Pitcher Jon Coutlangus, standing in line at a food table in the clubhouse, said aloud to nobody in particular, "I got married in the off-season."

Said catcher David Ross, "Oh, that's too bad."
    That's funny
    Witty signature.

Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    That's funny
    I think that is something to keep an eye on this year, how loose these guys are and how much fun they are having out there.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Haunted by walks

"If I was traded from here and had an opportunity to come back to RedsFest, I'd do that same thing
    Tomorrow's headline: Arroyo Asks for Trade

Arroyo is Cincinnati's version of Manny Ramirez. Every offseason we hear about how he misses Boston, but then says how much he loves the Reds (and not to mention signing a LTC). It reminds every year how Manny says he wants out of Boston and then magically he wants to stay with Boston until the next offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    "Matt Belisle looks like Paul Bunyan or Jack Johnson — a big, strong guy who won nine games last year for a not-very-good team and there is no reason for him not to win 15 this year." — Manager Dusty Baker.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/s/con...edsnotes1.html
    Kind of a fluff piece from McCoy, but that quote was meaningful IMO. I'm liking Dusty more than I thought and I'm happy that he hasn't pre-judged Belisle on his "traditional" stats. I agree that he can take a big leap in 2008.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Every time Arroyo reminds Bostonites about his Boston love scab, the media in Cincinnati can't resist the urge to pick at it.

Here's my open memo to Reds beat writers:

Bronson Arroyo probably would prefer to be playing for Boston, but he has a contract that says he plays for Cincinnati. If he admits his preference publicly, he blows his local merchandising opportunities and he can expect the boo-birds to come out every time he takes the mound at GABP. Please do your part to preserve the illusion that Bronson loves being a Red and quit asking him about his love for Boston!
    /r/reds

Turn Off Ads?