Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Lefty relief

Lefty relief

Should the Reds stick with Bray, and Herrera in reserve at AAA, as the number two lefty reliever?

Or should they be looking for a trade for veteran lefty relief down the stretch?

I'm assuming Chapman isn't the guy quite yet. Some may feel differently.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-21-2010 at 04:20 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Lefty relief

Chapman will be there by September. You can quote me.

That kid's gonna go all David Price on everybody. Should be fun to watch.

In the meantime, stick with Bray. He blew up a bit last night, but I still like him. He's just the second lefty anyway.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I don't think Chapman is going to come up here and be a LOOGY, though. It'd be nice to have a guy to bring in to get a lefty out. Rhodes is the 8th inning guy.

I'm not giving up on Bray, though. Last night was bad, but I still like his stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I don't think Chapman is going to come up here and be a LOOGY, though. It'd be nice to have a guy to bring in to get a lefty out. Rhodes is the 8th inning guy.

I'm not giving up on Bray, though. Last night was bad, but I still like his stuff.
    I agree with you.

I think they're going to use Aroldis as some kinda uber setup/part time closer.

Cordero can like it or lump it. We're talking about a pennant race here.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Bray has dynamic stuff. Last night he was put in a high leverage situation that wasn't his doing and alot of factors got to him IMO. He does need to pound the zone a touch more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Should the Reds stick with Bray, and Herrera in reserve at AAA, as the number two lefty reliever?

Or should they be looking for a trade for veteran lefty relief down the stretch?

I'm assuming Chapman isn't the guy quite yet. Some may feel differently.
    Thinking like that is what brings you the Mike Stantons and Rheal Cormiers of the world.

I'm not trading anything for a reliever--especially a left-handed reliever--unless that guy is a real hammer. (Think Billy Wagner-type stuff.)
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Thinking like that is what brings you the Mike Stantons and Rheal Cormiers of the world.

I'm not trading anything for a reliever--especially a left-handed reliever--unless that guy is a real hammer. (Think Billy Wagner-type stuff.)
    Nobody is saying get ineffective relievers.

But if the Reds aren't getting a TOR starter, let them use some modest trade bait for a good, solid lefty reliever.

I think the team is short handed in this area. Bray is coming off a long injury and who knows if he is really ready to contribute. Herrera was sent down. Chapman doesn't seem ready.

The logic of "not trading for a reliever" overlooks that the pen is very important - yet probably the weakest part of the Reds team this year. If they ignore it, it won't get better.

Nobody is saying get ineffective relievers.

But if the Reds aren't getting a TOR starter, let them use some modest trade bait for a good, solid lefty reliever.

I think the team is short handed in this area. Bray is coming off a long injury and who knows if he is really ready to contribute. Herrera was sent down. Chapman doesn't seem ready.

The logic of "not trading for a reliever" overlooks that the pen is very important - yet probably the weakest part of the Reds team this year. If they ignore it, it won't get better.
    If solid relievers could be had for modest trade bait, I think Jocketty would've done so already. All the reports are suggesting that teams are asking for the moon in any trade.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    If solid relievers could be had for modest trade bait, I think Jocketty would've done so already. All the reports are suggesting that teams are asking for the moon in any trade.
    Before they got Escobar, the Blue Jays supposedly asked the Red Sox for Cuban SS Jose Iglesias, who the Red Sox gave a $6M signing bonus less than a year ago, for Scott Downs, who isn't quite Billy Wagner.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Before they got Escobar, the Blue Jays supposedly asked the Red Sox for Cuban SS Jose Iglesias, who the Red Sox gave a $6M signing bonus less than a year ago, for Scott Downs, who isn't quite Billy Wagner.

As the deadline nears, the asking prices get more reasonable.

They still need a starter. Steady at the tiller. Starter.

I'd bring chapman up in late august so that he can be on playoff roster if he tears it up rather than waiting until September.

As the deadline nears, the asking prices get more reasonable.
    Oh, sure, if teams really want to deal a guy. There just isn't much out there that's all that appealing, and there seems to still be much more demand than supply of what little there is.
    Last edited by blumj; 07-21-2010 at 09:31 PM.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Chapman is the guy! (IMO) Walt wouldn't have made that move if he wasn't serious about it. And he said it was just for the stretch run and they would move Chapman back to being a starter next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    They still need a starter. Steady at the tiller. Starter.
    Who should they get and what would you trade to get them?

Turn Off Ads?