Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Some pictures of Crosley

Some pictures of Crosley

Some pictures posted on Uni-Watch from the Pirates 1960 season. The last two are from the visitors clubhouse. Must have been after they clinched in 1960.

http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80565110877170

http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80590266370210

http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80642540057074

http://picasaweb.google.com/larrymb5...80700826768466

You can click the arrows on top of the pictures to see more of the pictures from the album. They are worth looking at if you like old baseball pics. Some good pictures of Forbes Field and players from the '60 Bucs.
    Last edited by RollyInRaleigh; 12-16-2010 at 08:23 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Some pictures of Crosley

Watched game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night on the baseball network and couldn't believe how badly Clemente "stepped in the bucket," when hitting. Very unorthodox and worse than I remember when I watched him play in the late 60's and 70's.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Watched game 7 of the 1960 World Series last night on the baseball network and couldn't believe how badly Clemente "stepped in the bucket," when hitting. Very unorthodox and worse than I remember when I watched him play in the late 60's and 70's.
    I was thinking the same thing about nearly everyone, even Mantle stepped away from the plate. I thought it may have something to do with swinging bats that are much more heavy that they are now.

A few other things I was amazed at
    In the top of the 8th with runners on 2nd and 3rd and two outs the Yankees let their pitcher hit.
    In the bottom of the 8th the Pirates bunted their number 3 hitter with no outs.

Thanks, Randy. I love the experience of the old parks. I'm betting the boxes were under $5 in those days.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Kind of neat seeing all the cars of the era parked around the ballpark.

6 months of heartbreak Bob Borkowski's Avatar

Judging from the shot of the scoreboard at the end of the game, the Reds lineup looked like this:

2B Eddie Kasko
    CF Vada Pinson
    RF Gus Bell
    LF Frank Robinson
    C Ed Bailey
    1B Gordy Coleman
    3B Willie 'Puddin' Head' Jones
    SS Roy McMillan
    P Bill Henry

It's amazing how baseball fortunes work. 1960 was a BAD year, nothing worked well. Without a great deal of tinkering with the roster, 1961 was a delight. There were some key changes of course - Gene Freese to play 3B for example - but, in general, things just jelled in '61.

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Kind of neat seeing all the cars of the era parked around the ballpark.
    My mother-in-law said that around that time it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.

In The Longest Season Brosnan said that the uniform of the day in the clubhouse in Cincinnati was a "jockstrap and some shower slippers" no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    My mother-in-law said that around that time it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.

In The Longest Season Brosnan said that the uniform of the day in the clubhouse in Cincinnati was a "jockstrap and some shower slippers" no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.
    Any idea why? To save money?
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by George Anderson View Post
    Any idea why? To save money?
    I'd say yes, AC at that time was not everywhere, nor was it efficient. The clubhouse (no ac) allegedly was loaded with fans, too many to count at times.

no one was ready to pull on a heavy wool uniform and socks and wait until they had to play, that it was just too hot and the AC in the dugout didn't get turned on until game time.
    If I remember right, Brosnan emphasized just how brutally humid Cincinnati can get in the summer. And the way the ballpark was set right there in the Mill Valley amidst all that industry, whew....

it was not unusual for one to return to their car and find that someone had knifed your tires.
    I could be wrong about this, but I think that by the time my dad was taking me and my bro to games (mid 60s), the club had arranged for new parking for fans, to address these issues.

Anyway, always love the Crosley pix!

I remember going to a night game at Crosley with my dad, and having someone of dubious character offer to watch our car, and my dad telling me the "ways of the world".....

"watch our car" meant "pay us money or we mess it up"

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    I remember going to a night game at Crosley with my dad, and having someone of dubious character offer to watch our car, and my dad telling me the "ways of the world".....

"watch our car" meant "pay us money or we mess it up"
    When I was a kid we went to Tiger games in post riot Detroit, the key to a "safe" car was to park for $5 in someones yard, usually an older gent within walking distance of the park. Coming into town once past 8 Mile you were instructed to make sure your car doors were locked.

The city... she was dying a slow death.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Borkowski View Post
    Judging from the shot of the scoreboard at the end of the game, the Reds lineup looked like this:

2B Eddie Kasko
    CF Vada Pinson
    RF Gus Bell
    LF Frank Robinson
    C Ed Bailey
    1B Gordy Coleman
    3B Willie 'Puddin' Head' Jones
    SS Roy McMillan
    P Bill Henry

It's amazing how baseball fortunes work. 1960 was a BAD year, nothing worked well. Without a great deal of tinkering with the roster, 1961 was a delight. There were some key changes of course - Gene Freese to play 3B for example - but, in general, things just jelled in '61.
    Here's the Box Score - Henry finished the game

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bo...96009181.shtml
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Turn Off Ads?