Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cubs sign Navarro

Re: Cubs sign Navarro

Not a surprise. I thought Navarro would get major league contract with someone. He's too good a hitter and a viable backup catcher not to be signed by someone. I was surprised the Reds had gotten him on a minor league contract last season. It's time now for Mez to step up and be the catcher we think he can be. I don't think anymore time in the minors would help him that much. More playing time at the big league level will do that. I hope they flip him and Hanigan next year. Mez 3 days or more and Hanigan no more than two days a week. Time to find out if he can handle the bigs or not.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm not sure that grossly overpaying for a AAA catcher because your regulars suck is the way to build a competent team.

Navarro didn't suddenly get better at his age after finding it hard to find even a minor league job last year.

BTW, the other Cubs catcher Castillo had an OPS of .754.
    Grossly overpaying? Like paying a cook $9 instead of $8.75. Mountain, meet molehill.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Grossly overpaying? Like paying a cook $9 instead of $8.75. Mountain, meet molehill.
    Last year he made 24 games of the major league minimum. This year he's making $1.75M. I think you are paying that fry cook about $100 per hour.

BTW, Ryan Hannigan is in the last year of a 3-year contract where he's averaged $1.33M per season.

Last year he made 24 games of the major league minimum. This year he's making $1.75M. I think you are paying that fry cook about $100 per hour.

BTW, Ryan Hannigan is in the last year of a 3-year contract where he's averaged $1.33M per season.
    Not really, in comparative dollars. He has to barely play above replacement level to hit the breakeven on such a small contract. Perhaps its a big deal to you, but I'm not sure why.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not really, in comparative dollars. He has to barely play above replacement level to hit the breakeven on such a small contract. Perhaps its a big deal to you, but I'm not sure why.
    AAAA catchers get tminor league contracts. The Cubs have given him established major league money for catchers expected to play 60-80 games.

Navaro is no better today than he was at the start of last year.

Yet he got a major league contract and guaranteed $1.75M.

AAAA catchers get tminor league contracts. The Cubs have given him established major league money for catchers expected to play 60-80 games.

Navaro is no better today than he was at the start of last year.

Yet he got a major league contract and guaranteed $1.75M.
    Navarro availed himself well in the Reds stretch run, which followed a strong showing in Louisville. Looks like he rebuilt some value. But don't forget this is the Cubs, they didn't lose 100 games by making great decisions. They are in a deep place and any upgrade to the stink they have is gonna cost some cash. They probably outbid themselves, but they had to do something to entice him to play for a loser since it appears he was ready to sign that type of deal with the Reds and be one injury to a catcher away from playing for a contending team. Cudos to his agent for recognizing the Cubs desperation and affinity for Navarro.

The Cubs are a bad team, they have to overpay even for potential slightly above replacement level players or they can continue to run out the same garbage for league minimum. They are trying to upgrade from Clevenger's OPS+ of 48 and Castillo, do you really think that he shouldn't be replaced?

For some reason, someone with the Cubs must see something that made him a target for their plans. In the current economy of MLB, I simply think you are extremely overstating the value of that contract.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-17-2012 at 10:36 AM.

Navarro struck me as a solid hitter, good enough to be on most teams' bench. I didn't get the impression that he was a particularly good defender or thrower.

I think the important take away here is that the Reds are not discouraged with Mes and expect him to be on the roster. They will likely pick up a veteran for AAA and possible major league fill in duty.

The Reds should and will give Mes more playing time next year. Hanigan is a terrific defender and gets on base well, but has very little power and has a limited offensive game.

IMO the Reds should go for it with Mes next year. Of course it is November so I reserve the right to change my view if Mes slumps early.

Turn Off Ads?