Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone got info on the top 2007 draft prospects?

Re: Anyone got info on the top 2007 draft prospects?

I havent found a better Draft Prospect site as what Minor League Baseball.com has going on right now with their draft reports. Seems like they will be adding players every week too.

Here it is
    http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/n...milb&fext=.jsp

2. Turn Off Ads?
    One Man Army

The fact that Wieters is an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Adam Dunn amazes me. Seriously, how can someone with that kind of body have the ability to stick behind the dish?

Yeah, I know agility and whatnot are different for the two, but still, sheesh.

Thanks for the milb.com link Shaknb8k!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    I'd take Brackman every day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    Brackman would be fantastic, but I really worry about his durability. There have been a slew of pitchers with his frame going back to Ryan Anderson aka The Little Unit, most have been derailed by injuries. There are lots of moving parts associated with these ultra tall pitchers. I would be more leary of drafting a pitcher 6'7" and over. That just seems to be the dividing line. You might argue your typical high school arm is more likely to pan out then a super tall pitcher.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    Brackman would be fantastic, but I really worry about his durability. There have been a slew of pitchers with his frame going back to Ryan Anderson aka The Little Unit, most have been derailed by injuries. There are lots of moving parts associated with these ultra tall pitchers. I would be more leary of drafting a pitcher 6'7" and over. That just seems to be the dividing line. You might argue your typical high school arm is more likely to pan out then a super tall pitcher.
    Most taller pitchers end up having back problems before its said and done. Althogh with that said I feel the need to address the HS pitcher comment. HS pitchers are coming forward and flourishing like never before. The reason is probably due to how they are being treated, unlike the past where they were just thrown into the fire. A HS pitcher is a much safer bet now than it was say 15 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Most taller pitchers end up having back problems before its said and done. Althogh with that said I feel the need to address the HS pitcher comment. HS pitchers are coming forward and flourishing like never before. The reason is probably due to how they are being treated, unlike the past where they were just thrown into the fire. A HS pitcher is a much safer bet now than it was say 15 years ago.
    I agree doug. I was just saying that given the relative dislike of HS pitchers in the first round from some, taking a tall pitcher is much worse. I would still rather have a college pitcher in the first round assuming he has the talent and results, just as long as he isn't too tall.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

The fact that Wieters is an inch shorter and 10 pounds lighter than Adam Dunn amazes me.
    Wieters is only 230. Dunn's like 275.

One Man Army

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Wieters is only 230. Dunn's like 275.
    Huh. I've seen Dunn listed as 240 in some places, but 275 elsewhere.

*Shrugs*

My point remains; Wieters is surprisingly large for a catcher. I'll be impressed if he's still playing there in five years.

Also, one point about Brackman that's worth noting. The mileage on his arm is much, much lower than the majority of other pitchers his age. Playing and focusing on basketball until recently has kept overzealous managers and coaches from throwing him out there and riding him into the ground. Because he's older, his body might be able to shoulder the load more.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    What's the love for Julio Borbon? Since when do speedy slap hitters with mediocre patience warrant a top 10 pick?

My favorites right now are Beau Mills, J.P. Arencibia, and Joe Savery. Of course this time last year Jordan Walden looked like an OK pick at #8, so who knows.
    Guess your signing up for the actual draft lol. PS RED LEADER! I better get a team for this year like last I am so in
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Reds2006champs

Jason Heyward, OF, L-L, 6’4, 220, Henry County HS, McDonough, Ga.

Having already taken a high-end college pitcher, the Blue Jays may shift their focus to a high-ceiling prep player. Years ago they traded for a young first baseman named Fred McGriff, who went on to belt almost 500 big league homers. Jason Heyward has drawn comparisons to McGriff for the last two years thanks to his size, his lefty stroke and his power potential.

The best thing about Heyward is that, unlike McGriff, he won’t be limited to first base as a pro. Sporting an arm that has touched 90 mph during stints as a pitcher and above average speed, Heyward profiles as a very capable everyday rightfielder in the majors. He is also adept at working counts to get his pitch and won’t shy away from walks.

At present, his power is impressive even though he sprays hits from foul pole to foul pole. Once he learns how to turn on pitches consistently he’s going to be a monster power source for years to come. J.P. Ricciardi has shown that he will take a high school player in the right situation, and Heyward’s skill set will provide Toronto with just that situation.
    That is a player I would LOVE to see the Reds draft.

The Reds might be able to snag a HS who's better than the #15 slot. Perhaps a kid like Tanner Robles, though HS pitchers who throw a lot of curves terrify me from a health standpoint.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I'd like to see a mix of HS and college arms with the high draft picks. Seems to me that this is the draft WayneK can really put his own stamp on... and I hope it is with pitching!
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I am in the Mock draft as well.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Baseball America has started a free draft blog
    Check it out.
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/

Quote Originally Posted by Reds2006champs View Post
    That is a player I would LOVE to see the Reds draft.
    If/when they go bats, I would like to see a righty.

I would like to see the Reds correct their organizational lack of young catchers - starting by drafting 2 catchers in the first 5 rounds - pick the best College catcher and the best HS catcher on your list (that way they will play at different levels so both will get playing time).
    Pitching is needed, as always, and I hope good pitching is emphasised in early round selections.

Turn Off Ads?