Turn Off Ads?
Page 8 of 37 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Freel traded for Ramon Hernandez

Re: Trade Idea- Freel for Ramon Hernandez?

There's a 4:15 meeting with Jocketty. We'll wait and see.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by HeatherC1212 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how this is going to work (and I'm reading both here and the Orioles board, LOL) but it's been speculated over at the Orioles board that they would also be paying his buyout amount. Does that mean he automatically becomes a FA at the end of next season if the buyout is all ready complete?
    NO just means we will have the money to buy him out if we so choose to do so. Which I expect we would, which likely means no compensation.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think the Reds have to bring back Hairston now. Hopefully for a one year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Ross had an excellent half-season with the bat. Most of the rest of the time he was sub-abysmal. And his defense was gigantically overrated, in my opinion.
    I really disliked Ross, particularly behind the dish. And I loath a streaky (meaning half-seasons in the abyss [lulz], like Aaron Boone) hitter.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

The Ryan Freel "Dirty Shirt Night" will stay go down as one of the best promotions ever. The Jay Buhner haircut day was pretty sweet in Seattle as well.
    For Love of the Game

"If you aren't first; you're last"

Quote Originally Posted by penantboundreds View Post
    . The Jay Buhner haircut day was pretty sweet in Seattle as well.
    The fans chanting at Junior "We've got buzz cuts, yes we do, we've got buzz cuts how about you?" was friggin sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He won't touch Ross's 2007. Pretty much a monster year with the bat. But I guess if he can replicate Ross's 2008, I'm okay with it.
    Wait, 2007? Or do you mean 2006? 06 was his big year, in 07 he hit 17 dingers but that was the only impressive part of his offense.
    Code:
      Year Ag Tm  Lg  G   AB    R    H   2B 3B  HR  RBI  SB CS  BB  SO   BA   OBP   SLG *OPS+  TB   SH  SF IBB HBP GDP 
    +--------------+---+----+----+----+---+--+---+----+---+--+---+---+-----+-----+-----+----+----+---+---+---+---+---+
     2006 29 CIN NL  90  247   37   63  15  1  21   52   0  0  37  75  .255  .353  .579  130  143   4   5   7   3   4
     2007 30 CIN NL 112  311   32   63  10  0  17   39   0  0  30  92  .203  .271  .399   68  124   5   2   4   0   9
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    He won't touch Ross's 2007. Pretty much a monster year with the bat. But I guess if he can replicate Ross's 2008, I'm okay with it.
    Do you mean 2006 (good year) and 2007 (not so good year) for Ross instead of 2007/2008?

Code:
    YEAR NAME             AGE   PA  EqA  OBP  SLG  VORP  RAR   RAP
    2007 Ramon Hernandez   31  409 .244 .333 .382   8.4  5.8  -0.1 
    2007 David Ross        30  348 .223 .271 .399  -3.0 -2.5  -8.2 

2006 Ramon Hernandez   30  560      .343 .479  28.8 
    2006 David Ross        29  296      .353 .579  22.6
    As far as magically plopping him in the Reds lineup last year...

Code:
    YEAR NAME            AGE  PA   EqA  OBP  SLG  VORP  RAR   RAP 
    2008 Ramon Hernandez  32  507 .252 .308 .406   8.3  11.2  -0.9 
    2008 David Ross       31  173 .267 .381 .366   4.9   6.4   2.2 
    2008 Javier Valentin  32  144 .254 .326 .411   2.6   3.4  -4.0 
    2008 Paul Bako        36  338 .217 .299 .328  -6.9  -4.1 -12.1
    Not thrilled about the move as hypothisized but if we can take the catching position from the suck that was Bako to mearly average that is significant improvement. Especially considering the curent state of the catching core.

A platoon with him and Hannigan isn't optimal, but it's (on paper) workable.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

The O's pitching staff the past few years hasn't been the best (not meant as a slam on them....I think they know it too which is why they currently only have one starter returning for sure this year, LOL) so Ramon could be excited to catch for Cueto, Volquez, Harang, Arroyo, and Mr. #5 Starter. That's a pretty great staff and I get the impression that catchers enjoy when they have talented pitchers throwing to them.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think the Reds have to bring back Hairston now. Hopefully for a one year deal.
    I was thinking something like this too. The Reds will need at least one more outfielder. You have to figure the OF right now is Dickerson, Bruce, and Hopper. Unless Edwin or Votto move out the Reds will be forced to bring in someone else.

I'm going to miss Freel. Yeah, he's likely a shadow of his former self, but he was damn fun to watch. Again, go look at the Dodger game from a few years back when he swiped 5 bags or that ridiculous catch in RF off I believe Pujols vs the Cards.

Good player with good skills and a body that just couldn't hold up.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

I guess this means it's time to say hello to the bad guy:

I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I was thinking something like this too. The Reds will need at least one more outfielder. You have to figure the OF right now is Dickerson, Bruce, and Hopper. Unless Edwin or Votto move out the Reds will be forced to bring in someone else.
    Well, I certainly they hope they bring in more than just Hairston to play the OF. They need a Dye type to go along with Hairston.

Now we need to sign Diesel and start the New World Order of Cincinnati Reds baseball.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I'm going to miss Freel. Yeah, he's likely a shadow of his former self, but he was damn fun to watch. Again, go look at the Dodger game from a few years back when he swiped 5 bags or that ridiculous catch in RF off I believe Pujols vs the Cards.

Good player with good skills and a body that just couldn't hold up.
    I like the bunt he caught in the air in Chicago as well.

Turn Off Ads?