Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Closed Game Thread

Senor Votto

Re: Closed Game Thread

If discussing a game is that important then just go to the chat. Believe it or not nate and LTLabner have some deep meaningful conversations in there.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by robmadden1 View Post
    I know we got the damn chat room but nobody uses the damn thing.
    Not exactly true. While the number of people in the room fluctuates during the game (very few at opening pitch, the most around 3rd to 6th inning and then tailing off until the last out), there are almost always people in chat. Might only be a few people, but somtimes as many as 10 to 15.

There are a few of us regulars in chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    If discussing a game is that important then just go to the chat. Believe it or not nate and LTLabner have some deep meaningful conversations in there.
    Me...definatley. Very deep and meaningful...very heady baseball comentary. Especially my use of the ( and * graphics

Nate....he's a hippy.

Yea, chat is not everyones cup of tea, but we do have some good game discussions in there. And a lot of shenanigans.

Until GAC shows up. Then we have to behave and get all smart and stuff. He doesn't allow gum chewing on line.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    The Sun Deck(or Reds Live)used to have a game thread, but a few bad members caused the Mods to remove the game threads. The policy is now that you need to be a member of ORG to participate in a game thread. There are certain thing we in the Sun Deck can do, like discuss individual plays, or certain events that occur in a game. A game thread that discusses what happens pitch-by -pitch, however, is not allowed.

I realized that what was in the Sun Deck forum was an illegal game thread, so I was the one who suggested that the Mods close the threads and inform the member who created it to not create any further game threads. I suppose the closing of the game thread is therefore my responsibility.. Make intelligent posts, and all of us will be in ORG participating in game threads all you want. Now I think this thread should really be moved to Site Feedback.
    That little spot of brown on the end of your nose might help you get into ORG

Attack Cat!

I don't care about the split between ORG and Sun Deck, it serves the owner's/mod's purpose and, honestly, it works fairly well.

The only thing that bothers me is the strict no game thread in the sun deck rule. I know there is chat, but I simply do not enjoy real time chat. It's probably because I'm old. I also certainly understand and respect the opinions expressed here that the game thread is a wretched hive of scum and villany.

However, the volume of posts on the game thread (both before and after the "split") says there are simply more people that enjoy a thread over chat, and that many, MANY people consider the game thread to be worth perusing despite its flaws. And it's not just this site. In many forums (most?) the game thread is the heart and soul of the board.

Thus, not having a game thread is the very root of the (admittedly tiresome) claims of the sun deck posters being "second class citizens", as they are denied arbitrarily a very popular feature that many consider integral to building a sports forum community.

Frankly, having a game thread could be extremely advantageous the stated goal of the old red guard, to ensure quality posts. Evaluating the quality of a sun deck poster's game thread posts could go a long way towards understanding how well he would integrate into the community. I would argue that not seeing how a poster conducts himself in the most popular post category is a tremendous disadvantage in trying to maintain the quality of the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    That little spot of brown on the end of your nose might help you get into ORG
    That was uncalled for. It is against the rules for Sun Deck members to create game threads, so it was reasonable that I inform the mods and close it down. Furthermore, all other Sun Deck members should refrain from creating game threads in the future, as the same thing will happen in the future. You know what the rules are, even if you happen not to like them.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket_Fuel
    The board will slowly die. People don't like other people who think they're "better then the yare. Especially telling them to beg their way onto a "better" board or to go away. Because soon people will take you up on that and then all you will have left is that "big boy" board your proud of that the "big timers" go to.
    Maybe I'm being naive, but I don't notice anything dying at all.

If it is going to die, I wish it would hurry up and kick it so that I could find someplace else to talk baseball.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds
    Thus, not having a game thread is the very root of the (admittedly tiresome) claims of the sun deck posters being "second class citizens", as they are denied arbitrarily a very popular feature that many consider integral to building a sports forum community.
    Having two identical forums defeats the purpose of having two forums in the first place.

Basic carrot and stick kinda stuff. If you want to participate in the game thread, be cool in the Sun Deck for a bit and get posting access to the ORG.

It really isn't hard -- I mean, even I managed to get access.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Attack Cat!

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Having two identical forums defeats the purpose of having two forums in the first place.
    No it doesn't, the sun deck would have a specific goal regardless of having identical features. It's there so veteran posters can evaluate new posters and protect the quality of the main board.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Basic carrot and stick kinda stuff.
    I do understand that, but I think the game thread policy is poorly thought out. The carrot to get ORG posting access should be to participate in higher quality discussion. To restict access to game threads (when everyone can post in chat) is aribtrary and unnescessary. IMHO of course.

Quote Originally Posted by OUReds View Post
    The carrot to get ORG posting access should be to participate in higher quality discussion. To restict access to game threads (when everyone can post in chat) is aribtrary and unnescessary. IMHO of course.
    Let's not kid ourselves. Game threads are not the bastion of high quality and insightfull posts. 38 pages of "whoo whoo" and "why did he drop that ball" and "home run!!!!!!!!!!" or "Dusty makes me want to rip my hair out" gives no indication whatsoever of a posters ability to contribute to the discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    I agree, and have never understood why this folder isn't allowed to discuss a Reds game as it occurs. Seriously, who are the geniuses who came up with that idea. That doesn't stop them from rattling the old tip jar in this folder though.
    Just to clarify something that I think was already clear to most, the contributions we receive via the tip jar are used to pay the site's expenses, such as the monthly hosting fee. In other words, something very much needed and appreciated that makes this site possible.

When we went to the two forums setup, the easiest thing to do would have been to restrict membership to ORG members, which in turn would have drastically lowered our expenses. However, we chose not to do that, and all users continue to have the ability to post, with the exclusions of within game threads.

Quote Originally Posted by Boss-Hog View Post
    Just to clarify something that I think was already clear to most, the contributions we receive via the tip jar are used to pay the site's expenses, such as the monthly hosting fee. In other words, something very much needed and appreciated that makes this site possible.

When we went to the two forums setup, the easiest thing to do would have been to restrict membership to ORG members, which in turn would have drastically lowered our expenses. However, we chose not to do that, and all users continue to have the ability to post, with the exclusions of within game threads.
    So what you're saying is . . . the more that is donated, the more it enables bad posters to participate in the forums?

Here's a weird, off the wall idea that I recommend not using: What if the forums automatically counted how many characters a person used, and at the end of the year, it would calculate a 'recommended donation' to help cover the expenses? I'm really curious as to how much it costs to cover my posts as opposed to someone who makes only three posts a year.

Or maybe the site could charge a "Game Thread" Fee; for a nominal amount a person not in ORG could get to post in the game threads.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Me...definatley. Very deep and meaningful...very heady baseball comentary. Especially my use of the ( and * graphics

Nate....he's a hippy.

Yea, chat is not everyones cup of tea, but we do have some good game discussions in there. And a lot of shenanigans.

Until GAC shows up. Then we have to behave and get all smart and stuff. He doesn't allow gum chewing on line.
    You're the one driving the VW Bus with a peace sign on the side.!

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    So what you're saying is . . . the more that is donated, the more it enables bad posters to participate in the forums?

Here's a weird, off the wall idea that I recommend not using: What if the forums automatically counted how many characters a person used, and at the end of the year, it would calculate a 'recommended donation' to help cover the expenses? I'm really curious as to how much it costs to cover my posts as opposed to someone who makes only three posts a year.

They'd make enough off of Krono that we could buy the Reds.

deleted
    Last edited by Heath; 03-03-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Turn Off Ads?