Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miguel Olivo

Miguel Olivo

Today's Enquirer mentioned him as a possible option at catcher if the Reds are unable to work things out with Ramon Hernandez. I was wondering what you thought of this guy as the Reds catcher?

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/players/miguel-olivo/7028?flv=1
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Miguel Olivo

He has good power but terrible on-base skills. He's 30 years old and is, at best, a guy you give a minor league contract with an invite to spring training to.

Code:
    Miguel Olivo	 OBP 
    2006 Fla 	.287 
    2007 Fla 	.262 
    2008 KC 	.278 
    2009 KC 	.292
    Career Stats
    http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/...lHXnwGPRmFCLcF

Is he a very good defensive catcher?

In a time share with Hannigan I think Olivio would be OK, but I am pretty sure his hacktastic approach at the plate would have folks ready to strangle him about a month in. After all he has more career HR's than walks. He has a really good arm but doesn't do a good job of blocking the plate allowing lots of balls to get by him. My biggest thing with a catcher is how is he going to handle the young guys we have pitching.
    If you have a losing record at Reds games, please stop going.

Olivo's probably a better bet offensively than Corky, but not much else.

If I had to rank them, the possibilities would be:
    1. John Buck
    2. Ramon Hernandez
    3. Miguel Olivo
    4. Corky Miller
    5. Craig Tatum

Not exactly a murderer's row here. I'd love to see Cincinnati find someone who can actually hit and play D behind the plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd love to see Cincinnati find someone who can actually hit and play D behind the plate.
    Yes, that and or find three of them in the outfield that can hit and play D, some that could perform well against right handed pitching would be pleasing.

I think the OF has a pretty good chance to be anywhere from just above league average to well above league average across the board.

But this offense can't afford two black holes, one each at C and SS. Perhaps one, definately not two.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Josh Bard is the guy I'd like to see brought in to push Hanigan.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I think the OF has a pretty good chance to be anywhere from just above league average to well above league average across the board.
    But this offense can't afford two black holes, one each at C and SS. Perhaps one, definately not two.
    If the outfield is as you have otmistically put it, then the SS and C positions as far as offense should not be as critical as it has been.

.781 OPS in 09. The team could do worse.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    .781 OPS in 09. The team could do worse.
    So could Olivo......
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Bring back Javy. Problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    If the outfield is as you have otmistically put it, then the SS and C positions as far as offense should not be as critical as it has been.
    Both SS and C have a chance (a good chance) to be as bad as... well, CF and SS were last season. No offense can have three (including the P spot) black holes and expect to win.

And an OF that includes Bruce, Stubbs/ Dickerson, and Gomes should be around or better than league average overall for each spot, IMO.

He's always been on my short list of catchers we might pick up this winter. True, he doesn't draw walks and his OBP is lousy, but he does hit HR (23 in 2009) and turns up his offense a notch with men on base (65 RBI this season in 390 AB).

He's got a strong arm and can shut down an opponent's running game. He's not in Hanigan's league on his overall defensive skills, but he can reliably catch 75+ games, enough so Hanigan can rest occasionally and not wear down so much as he did the second half of this year.

Also, hailing from the Dominican Republic, Olivo could presumably hit it off well with our Dominican pitchers -- Cordero, Cueto, Volquez.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    He has good power but terrible on-base skills. He's 30 years old and is, at best, a guy you give a minor league contract with an invite to spring training to.
    as opposed to Hernandez who has no power or on on-base skills.

Turn Off Ads?