Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Songs of All Time?

Re: Top Songs of All Time?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I'm sayin' "Pet sounds good".... unless coming from Puffy's direction.

Roger that.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm really struggling with this.

Comparing Eine Kleine Nachtmusik to Brandenburg Concerto to Kind of Blue to I'm So Lonesome to Strawberry Fields to Carmen to Rock Around the Clock to We Shall Overcome to Fireworks Music to La Boheme is just .... tough.

I might equate albums to songs since jazz, classical, opera, etc don't fit easily into a "song" category.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

All I know is any top songs of all time list has to have "The Warrior" by Scandal in the top 10.

Any thing by Led Zeppelin or Eric Clapton!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You know what's not on the list? "Half Breed" by Cher and anything by Frehley's Comet.
    Dude...."Hide your Heart", "Trouble Walking" and "Insane" kick it old school.

Agree about Boxer being SAG's best song.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Dude...."Hide your Heart", "Trouble Walking" and "Insane" kick it old school.

Agree about Boxer being SAG's best song.
    "Hide Your Heart" was performed by KISS, sans makeup. It was the first single from their "Hot in the Shade" album, which also featured the sugary quasi-ballad "Forever". So Frehley's Comets don't even get credit for that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Greatest? Perhaps. It's certainly an amazing piece of work.

Just not sure how influential it was.
    Very much so. Pet Sounds influenced how some of the other heavyweights in music approached songwriting and album-crafting and studio production, and in that regard, it moved the needle of popular music -- not an easy thing to do.

Most influential? Well, that's kind of hard to quantify. Sgt. Pepper was amazing, and it's the rare guitarist whose playing style doesn't pay homage to Clapton or Hendrix in some way... it must have been amazing to have been a music-loving youngster at that time.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    "Hide Your Heart" was performed by KISS, sans makeup. It was the first single from their "Hot in the Shade" album, which also featured the sugary quasi-ballad "Forever". So Frehley's Comets don't even get credit for that.
    Hide Your Heart is interesting. It was co-written by Desomond Child, Ace and Paul Stanley. Ace released it in October 1989 on the "Trouble Walking" album. Kiss released it in October 1989 on the "Hot in the Shade" album.

So technically Kiss and Ace (by default Frehley's Comet) get credit for the song.

The dates are from Wiki so they may be suspect. However, I know they helped co-write the song, and both bands released it because I have both albums. (one reason I'm glad you people only know my by my moniker of Ltlabner. To hide the shame).

Quote Originally Posted by IslandRed View Post
    Very much so. Pet Sounds influenced how some of the other heavyweights in music approached songwriting and album-crafting and studio production, and in that regard, it moved the needle of popular music -- not an easy thing to do.

Most influential? Well, that's kind of hard to quantify. Sgt. Pepper was amazing, and it's the rare guitarist whose playing style doesn't pay homage to Clapton or Hendrix in some way... it must have been amazing to have been a music-loving youngster at that time.
    Good points about the studio stuff. I'm just not sure from a musical standpoint how influential it was. It certainly doesn't have a lot of bands trying to mimic it the way that Led Zeppelin or even Nine Inch Nails albums get mimicked to this day.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Hide Your Heart is interesting. It was co-written by Desomond Child, Ace and Paul Stanley. Ace released it in October 1989 on the "Trouble Walking" album. Kiss released it in October 1989 on the "Hot in the Shade" album.

So technically Kiss and Ace (by default Frehley's Comet) get credit for the song.

The dates are from Wiki so they may be suspect. However, I know they helped co-write the song, and both bands released it because I have both albums. (one reason I'm glad you people only know my by my moniker of Ltlabner. To hide the shame).
    I wish I could unlearn all that.

Any song that contains the chorus "Uh huh huh huh, hey hey hey, a do do do do do do do do" deserves it's own circle in hell.

However, "Rock Soldiers" would have been a better representation of the crapulence that was Frehley's Comets.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Thinking about this makes my head hurt. I'm gonna' go study the balk rule instead.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

Any song that contains the chorus "Uh huh huh huh, hey hey hey, a do do do do do do do do" deserves it's own circle in hell..
    But Paul Stanley sung it with so much.....emotion.

Well, that and really good eye liner.

Pet Sounds.... Sgt Pepper.....obvious classics. But from a studio production quality, the Beatle's Revolver is one of the best. Eleanor Rigby one of my favs.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Yeah, the Boss needs to be on the list. That's a good choice.
    I was gonna say 'Jungleland'

a few more:

Rhapsody in Blue
    One for My Baby (And One More for the Road)
    Respect
    Lola (it can get annoying, but it is a truly great song)
    Lost in the Supermarket
    What's Going On
    I've Been Loving You Too Long (Otis Redding)
    A Change is Gonna Come
    Marquee Moon
    Street Spirit (Radiohead)

I'm really tempted to put Every Breath You Take on that list too, actually. But I'm also tempted to add Goodbye Stranger and I Can't Go For That (No Can Do), so take from that what you will.

This is incredibly difficult, though. I agree with Roy -- how do you compare? I was a classical music freak when I was younger, but I can't really consider an entire symphony a song. But I can't break it up either, and shorter works of classical music seem to pale next to them somehow. i also thought of a few songs that I think are way up there in the greatest spot but aren't terribly well-known. For better or worse, it seems to me that the greatest ever should be pretty familiar.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Turn Off Ads?