Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: when should Hamilton get promoted?

Voters
58. You may not vote on this poll
  • Now

2 3.45%
  • 3 weeks

2 3.45%
  • 6 weeks

9 15.52%
  • After the All Star break

23 39.66%
  • At the end of August

4 6.90%
  • Not at all this year

17 29.31%
  • I want to see him starting in the Reds outfield before the season ends

1 1.72%
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: If he keeps it up, when should Billy Hamilton be promoted?

If he keeps it up, when should Billy Hamilton be promoted?

Message board sports fans are a notoriously impatient and fickle lot, so I'm just curious what people's thoughts are on promoting Billy if he continues to terrorize hitter friendly high A. Of course, there is the issue of Gregorious ahead of him in Pensacola, but he's likely looking at a promotion to AAA at some point this year, most likely sooner rather than later.
    If nothing else, I think Hamilton would really help this club in a late season run as a September call up, just on pinch running ability alone.
    (Referring to Jack Hannahan signing with a Korean team)
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: If he keeps it up, when should Billy Hamilton be promoted?

Way too soon for a Sept. callup IMO. I think it'll be one heck of a stretch to see him reach AAA this season too. If he keeps it up, I'd promote him to AA around mid-season. That'll give us half a season to see if he's ready for AAA to start 2013.

That fifth option was supposed to say beginning of August. I realize there's no point in moving him to Pensacola at the end of their season/during their playoffs.

Also, the first 5 options imply a move to AA. I guess you can interpret option 7 however you want.
    Since there are no teams on the moon, I guess South Korea's far enough from Cincinnati to satisfy me.
    -RichRed

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Way too soon for a Sept. callup IMO. I think it'll be one heck of a stretch to see him reach AAA this season too. If he keeps it up, I'd promote him to AA around mid-season. That'll give us half a season to see if he's ready for AAA to start 2013.
    I'm curious why you think this. If the Reds are trying to lock up a playoff spot, isn't the whole point of call ups to add depth and players who can help put you over the top?
    If you're out of contention I don't think you call him up, but if the postseason is on the line, he could be crucial to helping you win ball games.
    -RichRed

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OGB View Post
    I'm curious why you think this. If the Reds are trying to lock up a playoff spot, isn't the whole point of call ups to add depth and players who can help put you over the top?
    If you're out of contention I don't think you call him up, but if the postseason is on the line, he could be crucial to helping you win ball games.
    Because there's no way he'll be ready to face MLB pitching yet. None. And a kid like that needs as many reps as he can get. He also needs to have his confidence kept high too. Pushing him too much too early is just asking for trouble. I'd much rather have him facing guys his age or slightly above his age instead of sitting on the Reds bench and being put to sleep. I understand that he's fast and he's excellent at stealing bases, but you don't want to call the kid up just to showcase his speed. We want him to develop his OTHER skills and not turn him into a one trick pony. Just my 2 cents.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

I'm really shocked at his power numbers. Thought he'd be simply a slap hitter with amazing speed. Seems like he's becoming more well rounded. Wish they'd move him to LF. Kid might be the future leadoff hitter this team has needed for years.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

I think he will spend most of his time in Bakersfield. With Didi/Greene being prospects as well ahead of him in the middle infield, then guys on the 40 man roster playing in AAA, promotions may not be easy to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Because there's no way he'll be ready to face MLB pitching yet. None. And a kid like that needs as many reps as he can get. He also needs to have his confidence kept high too. Pushing him too much too early is just asking for trouble. I'd much rather have him facing guys his age or slightly above his age instead of sitting on the Reds bench and being put to sleep. I understand that he's fast and he's excellent at stealing bases, but you don't want to call the kid up just to showcase his speed. We want him to develop his OTHER skills and not turn him into a one trick pony. Just my 2 cents.
    C'mon dude, are you even reading what I'm typing? I was referring to a September call up, not a big league promotion, as in his minor league season is over.
    I alson never once referred to him doing anything other than pinch running. If you're fighting for your playoff life the last few weeks of the year, I absolutely want him to be one of the 4 to 8 guys that get added to the bench.
    -RichRed

It would be REALLY REALLY dumb to add him to the 40 man roster just to let him pinch-ru etc.

I want to see him promoted to AA this year just so I can watch him when they come to town !!

C'mon dude, are you even reading what I'm typing? I was referring to a September call up, not a big league promotion, as in his minor league season is over.
    I alson never once referred to him doing anything other than pinch running. If you're fighting for your playoff life the last few weeks of the year, I absolutely want him to be one of the 4 to 8 guys that get added to the bench.
    Then you burn an option in 2013 for absolutely no reason.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Well, triple A and double A have a severe lack of offense. Nobody that impresses me. Triple A is full of either minor league lifers, retreads, their time has past, or former major leaguers waiting for injury or comeback. Nothing that excites at triple A. Double A is almost as bad as triple A.

I'm already ready for some promotions from Bakersfield.

Gregorious has 28 hits, all of them singles? Is that right?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Well, triple A and double A have a severe lack of offense. Nobody that impresses me. Triple A is full of either minor league lifers, retreads, their time has past, or former major leaguers waiting for injury or comeback. Nothing that excites at triple A. Double A is almost as bad as triple A.

I'm already ready for some promotions from Bakersfield.

Gregorious has 28 hits, all of them singles? Is that right?
    AA has Gregorius, Rodriguez and Guzman all over .300 right now. Ryan LaMarre is up to .270 and absolutely on fire. Cody Puckett is hitting .286 with an OBP over .400. Their offense is just fine.

Yes, Gregorius has 28 singles.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Then you burn an option in 2013 for absolutely no reason.
    Do you see Hamilton as a guy that is going to use even close to all of his options, though?

Edited to add: How many options did Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, and Cueto use?
    Last edited by OGB; 04-29-2012 at 05:24 PM.
    -RichRed

Do you see Hamilton as a guy that is going to use even close to all of his options, though?

Edited to add: How many options did Votto, Bruce, Stubbs, and Cueto use?
    Hamilton isn't in the same class as Votto or Bruce. He never will be either.

And yes, Hamilton is the kind of guy I could see needing the time to use his options. He is a guy who has to rely on not striking out and getting on base. Even this year, his strikeout rate isn't really that good for someone without an ounce of power. Most ETA's on him are for some point in 2014. If things go as planned, he will have burned two options by that point if you call him up in September. That means by the time he gets to the Majors, you can only send him down once and then he has to stick to the roster.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Hamilton isn't in the same class as Votto or Bruce. He never will be either.

And yes, Hamilton is the kind of guy I could see needing the time to use his options. He is a guy who has to rely on not striking out and getting on base. Even this year, his strikeout rate isn't really that good for someone without an ounce of power. Most ETA's on him are for some point in 2014. If things go as planned, he will have burned two options by that point if you call him up in September. That means by the time he gets to the Majors, you can only send him down once and then he has to stick to the roster.
    Hamilton not in the same class? In terms of contribution to the team I disagree. Bruce year 1 -0.3 WAR, not hard to keep up with that class. Year 2 0.8 WAR, again doesn't take much to whoop that class. Year 3 4.6 WAR - now we're talking. Year 4 whoops a 1.2 WAR.

Hamilton's first 4 years won't beat that? I guess we'll see.
    Attended 1976 World Series in my Mother's Womb. Attended 1990 World Series Game 2 as a 13 year old. Want to take my son to a a World Series Game in Cincinnati in my lifetime.

Turn Off Ads?