Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reds Acquire Broxton

Re: Reds Acquire Broxton

Quote Originally Posted by jfleur87 View Post
    Ok - fair enough, sorry for jumping to my conclusion. I rarely post, but I read the "we over payed" threads rather often. If we hadn't made a move, then I'm sure I'd be reading a thread complaining about that as well.

Out of curiosity, were you wanting him to replace Bray for the stretch run or the future? Both are viable answers, but putting a rookie in a lefty vs lefty situation when we have Marshal and/or Chapman would scare the bejeezus out of me during a playoff game.
    Next year. All im saying is that Bray is looking more and more like he can't get the job done.

And I thought that Joseph was gonna make a good major league reliever.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by UK Reds Fan View Post
    1. Donnie Joseph as part of this deal is hard to like...
    2. Not to also forget...Broxton is making 4M..so we also tie up salary in Broxton that could have been used to shore up holes elsewhere.

Personally...I don't get this move.
    Frankly don't understand the move either, considering the needs. But from what I read, he is only owed 1.3 million the rest of this year. So not that big of a financial commitment. Now, for a 2 month rental, perhaps they over payed, unless of course they win the World Series.

It is possible to resign Broxton. We did extend Marshall. You can't accurately grade a trade until a year or two has passed. I like the move, for now.

I can still see a waiver wire claim for a left handed bench bat.

Quote Originally Posted by SWIndRed View Post
    It is possible to resign Broxton. We did extend Marshall. You can't accurately grade a trade until a year or two has passed. I like the move, for now.

I can still see a waiver wire claim for a left handed bench bat.
    Sure...but likely Broxton is going to cost at least his current 4M per season if not more. We were so broke we could not afford to get into a LH bat in the OF...but we had the extra money to pay for a decent (not great) RH relief pitcher. The move is puzzling and speaks of overpay by Walt.

I don't want to grow up Red Raindog's Avatar

He's got 1.40 WHIP but a 2.27 ERA -- what I do like is 1 HR in 35 innings
    The older I get - the better I was

and yes - I hate the Cardinals (Reds fan since 1958)

I miss Raisor

Quote Originally Posted by TheBigLebowski View Post
    JC Sulbaran AND Donnie Joseph is too much. I no longer approve of this deal.
    How is it to much. Exactly what have Sulbaran and Joseph done on teh Major league level?

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    Next year. All im saying is that Bray is looking more and more like he can't get the job done.

And I thought that Joseph was gonna make a good major league reliever.
    How do we know that?

Quote Originally Posted by brm7675 View Post
    How do we know that?
    We don't I said I think he will be. What I do know is the Reds gave up two pretty good prospects for a bullpen arm for a couple months.

Quote Originally Posted by GoReds19 View Post
    We don't I said I think he will be. What I do know is the Reds gave up two pretty good prospects for a bullpen arm for a couple months.
    Key word being "prospects" meaning they have never pitched on the major league level and the odds of them being good isn't very good.

just b/c he's signed 2 months does not mean its only 2 months

If Broxton gets 3 big outs in October, the SunDeck will be loving this trade.

I don't hate it. Giving up Joseph who has been pitching well in the minors is a bummer, but the bullpen is now amazing and people will like this when we win a tight 1 run game in October.

Sulbaran and Joseph are likely bullpen arms in the majors. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them doesn't come back and "BJ Ryan" us, but that is the price of upgrading a shallow pen for a WS.

Just find the next one. Notice we didn't trade the guys they think as starters. Tells me how they feel about Cingrani.

Quote Originally Posted by Brisco View Post
    Game thread after game thread i keep hearing that Dusty is over-using Chapman... but the fact is that we did not have another reliever that had proven effective in the closer's role. This year is not the year to experiement with the unproven. Broxton has that closer's mentality and a great ground ball percentage which will play well with out excellent infield defense. now Dusty has the ability to sit Chapman from time to time even though it is a closing opportunity.

We gave up nothing that was helping us this year and apparently nothing that was surefire help in the future.

I like this move.

The walks do not worry as much because of the groundball percentage... that spells lots of DPs given our excellent middle defense.
    I didn't know that. Source? If true it makes me like this deal provided Brox is healthy.

Good thing we got a BP arm with the way we are over working them the last two nights,

Turn Off Ads?