Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big day for my son

Big day for my son

I live on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. I have been to a bunch of Reds games in Houston, but this June I am taking my 7 year old to his first game when the Reds play Texas. We got front row seats next to the Reds dugout, and his favorite player is Brandon Phillips. I hope he enjoys his first game, and I just wanted to share with you guys. If anybody has any stories to share, I would love to read them.

2. Likes:

Captain13 (03-19-2013),Falcon7 (03-26-2013),LexRedsFan (03-28-2013),redsfanmia (03-18-2013),texasdave (03-18-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Big day for my son

Awesome! He will never forget it. I am taking my freshman in high school daughter to her first opening day this year, and she is beyond excited.
    "Why are those Dodger pitchers in the Reds bullpen?"-GAC August 28, 2009

5. Likes:

Captain13 (03-19-2013),KC2135 (03-18-2013)

Awesome man, I am jealous you get to experience that with your son! BPhil is great with the fans; if your seats are that close have your son make a shirt or sign for Brandon and he is sure to come over and say hi, take pic, give an auto, etc. Enjoy!!
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

7. Likes:

KC2135 (03-18-2013)

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I've been to a few games in Arlington in the middle of summer. Hope it isn't scorching and 100 degrees like the last time I was there.

I took my daughter to her first game and Chris Reitsma came over and talked to her for 10 minutes.....it was early and there was not many fans around but soon as Chris walked up to her, she was about 7-9 years old at the time if I remember correctly, but soon as he walked up the fans started pushing and shoving their way to the front and my daughter got squeezed out.......I was sitting about 3 rows away watching the whole saga unfold and as i jumped up to go get her and speak my mind to a few adults, Chris actually told the adults to chill out and move out of the way that he was having a conversation with a friend of his....the adults moved and he asked my daughter to come closer to the edge so he could talk with her......I kind of stepped back and just watched it unfold, never jumping in to talk to him or anything.........this went on for almost 10 minutes and he ended up getting my daughter a reds hat that was his and he signed it and a ball and told her to keep it for when he turned famous and it would be worth money.......

To this day that Reds hat and ball sits on a shelf in her room and she still remembers the story like it was yesterday.....so do I.....needless to say Chris is her all time favorite Red and he holds a special spot in my heart too........not sure what was going through his mind that day but he made that day so special for her and he now will never be forgotten all because he took a few minutes out of his day to talk to her like a friend would.....

hope your son has a similar experience.....I have seen Bphil go out of his way to talk to kids at home games so I am sure he would love to see a fan while on the road.....get there early and make sure your son is wearing a BP jersey or shirt......Brandon will find him.

11. Likes:

bounty37h (03-19-2013),KC2135 (03-19-2013),thatcoolguy_22 (03-20-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I took my daughter to her first game and Chris Reitsma came over and talked to her for 10 minutes.....it was early and there was not many fans around but soon as Chris walked up to her, she was about 7-9 years old at the time if I remember correctly, but soon as he walked up the fans started pushing and shoving their way to the front and my daughter got squeezed out.......I was sitting about 3 rows away watching the whole saga unfold and as i jumped up to go get her and speak my mind to a few adults, Chris actually told the adults to chill out and move out of the way that he was having a conversation with a friend of his....the adults moved and he asked my daughter to come closer to the edge so he could talk with her......I kind of stepped back and just watched it unfold, never jumping in to talk to him or anything.........this went on for almost 10 minutes and he ended up getting my daughter a reds hat that was his and he signed it and a ball and told her to keep it for when he turned famous and it would be worth money.......

To this day that Reds hat and ball sits on a shelf in her room and she still remembers the story like it was yesterday.....so do I.....needless to say Chris is her all time favorite Red and he holds a special spot in my heart too........not sure what was going through his mind that day but he made that day so special for her and he now will never be forgotten all because he took a few minutes out of his day to talk to her like a friend would.....

hope your son has a similar experience.....I have seen Bphil go out of his way to talk to kids at home games so I am sure he would love to see a fan while on the road.....get there early and make sure your son is wearing a BP jersey or shirt......Brandon will find him.
    Thats awesome, I am sure made her day!! I wish more athletes knew how much it really means to the fans when they interact with them like this. And for the younger fans, it can mean the difference in just going to games with parents to actually being life long fans of the game and team.
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

13. Likes:

KC2135 (03-19-2013)

Great story, man. My son has his BP shirt ready to go. I just hope we don't run into any rude home fans. Texas is usually pretty relaxed.

Quote Originally Posted by KC2135 View Post
    I live on the border of Texas and Oklahoma. I have been to a bunch of Reds games in Houston, but this June I am taking my 7 year old to his first game when the Reds play Texas. We got front row seats next to the Reds dugout, and his favorite player is Brandon Phillips. I hope he enjoys his first game, and I just wanted to share with you guys. If anybody has any stories to share, I would love to read them.
    That's awsome KC, take lots of good quality pictures with you and him TOGETHER! Don't be afraid to ask a stranger to take them. My son was 5 when I took him to his 1st game at Riverfront Sept. 2000, I have one crappy picture of him and me together that night, (well I look crappy, he looks fine), and lots of far away pictures of the stadium, players, action ect.
    Now he's 18 and headed to College this fall! It goes so darn FAST, please please enjoy it!

Wow! Chris Reitsma! Now i can have 1 good memory of him

Radio

I don't remember the actual first Reds game that my parents took me to, but I will say that the fact that my parents took me to Reds games as often as they could as a kid is one of the things I am most thankful of from my childhood.

A tradition I will no doubt continue with my kids some day.

18. Likes:

KC2135 (03-30-2013)

Tweet Phillips closer to the game, make sure your kid has a BP shirt on... Get there early, and I think your son may have an even more special day than could be imagined (if possible!)

20. Likes:

KC2135 (03-30-2013),OfficerRodFarva (03-28-2013),redhawkfish (04-02-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by LexRedsFan View Post
    Tweet Phillips closer to the game, make sure your kid has a BP shirt on... Get there early, and I think your son may have an even more special day than could be imagined (if possible!)
    My wife and I got to see him at PNC park last year. We were in the front row just past the visitors dugout. He said hello and signed a baseball for us. I told him he was my favorite Red but that my wife was in love with Joey and he joked that he would get his phone # for her. Pretty awesome experience.

22. Likes:

KC2135 (04-05-2013)

when it nears the date you should tweet something to bphillips @datdudeBP
    He is a great guy and will make a point to see your son I would bet.

https://twitter.com/DatDudeBP

24. Likes:

KC2135 (04-05-2013)

Brandon will for sure talk to you and your son if he is near. I sat behind home plate last year and before every at-bat he would talk to me and my brother.Single best reds game i have ever been too, and made me like brandon even more.

Turn Off Ads?