Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Been hot here so I was outside listening to the radio more than watching the game this weekend, lost of Jeff and Marty and I think I caught a constant message from them:

What's important in baseball when you have a bat in your hands

• RBI's - The reason god makes money to give to baseball players is spelled R B I and anyone who disagrees is pretty much an idiot... did you know Joey Votto has BLANK RBIs?? Did you know Chris Davis and Cabrea have BLANK more RBIs? Those guys know how to get it done, unlike the sabermetric inclined Votto.

• Sacrifice Bunts - No one can do it, no one does it enough, no one doe sit like the old days, guys just don't appreciate it like they did in the past.

• Sacrifice flies - Good lord man, do your job... make an out to get in a run, don't you know that that is what expected of you?

Using that criteria I'm pretty sure that Marty's favorite ballplayer is in this group.

Code:
    RBI                           YEAR     RBI      SAC      SF     
    1    Roberto Alomar           1999      120       12       13   
    2    Wally Joyner             1986      100       10       12   
    3    Kevin Elster             1996       99       16       11   
    4    Larry Hisle              1976       96       11        9   
    5    Roy Smalley              1979       95       15        9   
    6    Dwayne Murphy            1982       94       12        8   
    7    Brooks Robinson          1960       88       13        8   
    8    Brooks Robinson          1962       86       10       10   
    9    Willie Davis             1962       85       10        8   
    10   Vic Power                1960       84       14        7   
    T11  Johnny Logan             1955       83       16        7   
    T11  Ken Landreaux            1979       83       10        8   
    13   Brady Anderson           1992       80       10        9   
    T14  Craig Biggio             1995       77       11        7   
    T14  Roy Smalley              1978       77       23        7   
    16   Marco Scutaro            2012       74       10        9   
    T17  Angel Berroa             2003       73       13        8   
    T17  Melky Cabrera            2007       73       10        9   
    19   Juan Uribe               2005       71       11       10   
    20   Joe Cunningham           1962       70       10        8

2. Likes:

919191 (07-02-2013),BoxingRed (07-01-2013),jhiller21 (07-01-2013),lollipopcurve (07-01-2013),RadfordVA (07-01-2013),RFS62 (07-02-2013),Tom Servo (07-01-2013),Unassisted (07-01-2013)

3. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Things Marty Loves to Complain about

Angel Berroa is among everybody's favorite ballplayers.

Thom is aboard the RBI train as well, I seriously thought we as a baseball society had advanced beyond using a clearly team dependent stat as a serious metric for an individual player.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

5. Likes:

Always Red (07-01-2013),westofyou (07-01-2013)

Don't for get PDoc...he can't get over Votto only having ## rbi's.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

7. Likes:

Always Red (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Been hot here so I was outside listening to the radio more than watching the game this weekend, lost of Jeff and Marty and I think I caught a constant message from them:

What's important in baseball when you have a bat in your hands

• RBI's - The reason god makes money to give to baseball players is spelled R B I and anyone who disagrees is pretty much an idiot... did you know Joey Votto has BLANK RBIs?? Did you know Chris Davis and Cabrea have BLANK more RBIs? Those guys know how to get it done, unlike the sabermetric inclined Votto.

• Sacrifice Bunts - No one can do it, no one does it enough, no one doe sit like the old days, guys just don't appreciate it like they did in the past.

• Sacrifice flies - Good lord man, do your job... make an out to get in a run, don't you know that that is what expected of you?

Using that criteria I'm pretty sure that Marty's favorite ballplayer is in this group.
    I love the bunt as well and hate the fact that so many players cannot do it. I am especially lost when an NL pitcher looks completely incompetent.

Big fan of the sac fly here too. Isn't that what's expected? If not, what is?

RBI will take of themselves if everyone does their job.

Color me as foolish as Marty I guess.
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

9. Likes:

GADawg (07-01-2013),icehole3 (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by TSJ55 View Post
    Big fan of the sac fly here too. Isn't that what's expected? If not, what is?
    Not making an out in order to score even more runs.
    ...the 2-2 to Woodsen and here it comes...and it is swung on and missed! And Tom Browning has pitched a perfect game! Twenty-seven outs in a row, and he is being mobbed by his teammates, just to the thirdbase side of the mound.

11. Likes:

AtomicDumpling (07-01-2013),gilpdawg (07-01-2013),marcshoe (07-01-2013),Nasty_Boy (07-01-2013),RedFanAlways1966 (07-01-2013),RedTeamGo! (07-01-2013),The Operator (07-03-2013),westofyou (07-01-2013)

Long, late games with an early tee-time the next morning.

13. Likes:

Chip R (07-01-2013),Nasty_Boy (07-01-2013),RedsLvr (07-03-2013),Unassisted (07-01-2013),wlf WV (07-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by CySeymour View Post
    Not making an out in order to score even more runs.
    Reminds of what I have to tell my clients about being fit. "If were that easy, everybody would do it."
    Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted.

Them stupid newfangled phones with pushbuttons that you can't really dial.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Reminds of what I have to tell my clients about being fit. "If were that easy, everybody would do it."
    But no one is trying to make an out to score that run, nobody at all, it's a fallacy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

So hitting a fly ball about 275 feet is just an easy thing to do when the other guy is being paid millions to get you out?

18. Likes:

icehole3 (07-01-2013),Tom Servo (07-01-2013)

But no one is trying to make an out to score that run, nobody at all, it's a fallacy.
    I don't follow. Teach me something.

Exactly. In that scenario, a sac fly is probably no better then the 3rd best outcome. Certainly it beats a strikeout/popout/lineout and of course a double play, but not as good as a base hit or a walk.

Not saying hitting a sac fly is bad, just that it shouldn't be the hitter's goal.

I don't think that any batter comes to the plate with the thought of "OK, what I really want to do here is fly out to left field. I will do everything that I can to make sure that I hit the ball in the air in a place where the fielder can catch it."

Sure, the approach might be to hit the ball in the air, but I bet 101 out of 100 ballplayers would rather hit a home run than a sacrifice fly. The same goes for grounding out to the second baseman to advance a runner from second to third- what player wants to get out instead of getting a hit?
    Thus his team was punished
    Long live punishment
    Cut back on booze and pizza?
    Good god man get a hold of yourself

Batters don't try to lift fly balls into the OF. It's extremely hard to hit a moving ball at its size and velocity with a round bat intentionally into the air at least 300 feet. Some guys naturally have that swing. Others just try to use the middle of the field which is usually the best approach (IF'ers are back in the middle, pitcher is worst fielder, etc)

The other thing that is so silly about all of that is that Adam Dunn used to get beat up for this constantly. He had a long string of no sac flies, yet he was constantly hitting HR's, even with men on third. Should he have hit the ball 100 feet shorter? Also, many times players get base hits with a man on 3rd. That is much better than a Sac Fly, but no one sits there and counts how many hits he has with a man on 3rd, then puts that next to his sac fly stat.

The sac fly is mostly an accident. I'd say that is the biggest factor. Also, why is GO 6-3, RBI not a Sac Groundout? Use the middle of the field with IF back, and it's sort of the same thing, no?
    Last edited by TOBTTReds; 07-01-2013 at 02:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plus Plus View Post
    I don't think that any batter comes to the plate with the thought of "OK, what I really want to do here is fly out to left field. I will do everything that I can to make sure that I hit the ball in the air in a place where the fielder can catch it."

Sure, the approach might be to hit the ball in the air, but I bet 101 out of 100 ballplayers would rather hit a home run than a sacrifice fly. The same goes for grounding out to the second baseman to advance a runner from second to third- what player wants to get out instead of getting a hit?
    Ok, the logic of getting a base hit or hitting a home run trumping a sac fly is obvious. Of course that's assuming he sees a ball he can drive first.

But, if it's my teammate, he better expand his zone his zone a little bit and swing at something he can lift deep enough to score the run if given the chance.

24. Likes:

icehole3 (07-01-2013)

Turn Off Ads?