Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Offering Roy Williams in a Trade

Offering Roy Williams in a Trade

I have Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, and Roy Williams at WR. My RBs are Addai, Ronnie Brown, Julius Jones, and Brandon Jackson.

I'm not thrilled with Brown (actually, Miami's O-line is the culprit), so I'm looking to get another RB2.

The guy who needs Williams the most has Marques Colston, Reggie Brown, and Vincent Jackson at WR, plus Larry Johnson, Cedric Benson, and Lamont Jordan at RB.

Anyone see a decent fit there?

I'm thinking Williams for Benson and Colston. Could I do better?
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Offering Roy Williams in a Trade

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I'm thinking Williams for Benson and Colston. Could I do better?
    Be careful trying to get Benson. He was benched yesterday after not playing well and then fumbling on top of it. Granted, they played the Chargers but he seems pretty overrated to me.

Colston is a good target if you're in a PPR league. If it is PPR don't brush off LaMont Jordan's big day yesterday. Lane Kiffin is going to make sure his backs stay involved and Jordan is undervalued because he played on a simply horrible offense last year. Even if the Raiders only become mediocre or decent Jordan could have a big year.

Roy Williams is good, but if I got Jordan and Colston for him I wouldn't be dissapointed. But I take risks so.

Could, though is key. Jordan will definately take a big hit in value as the season progresses as Dominick Rhodes comes back. The raiders also have a very talented Micheal Bush on their RB depth chart and as the season progresses and he gets his legs back they will be forced to see what he can do.

That was my concern with Jordan -- the Raiders just gave Rhodes a ton of cash, so I expect them to give him a share of the carries. Benson is flawed, but he's got the job to himself at this point.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

i would take the benson and colston deal in a second. Benson is going to be a dominant back this year. He has had 1 bad game so far but who really can run the ball against the chargers? Also as the season progresses Calvin Johnson will start getting more and more looks. Yes 2 big time wide recievers work for a few teams (harrison-wayne, holt-bruce, johnson-houshmandzadah, fitzgerald-boldin) but those teams have a better QB than John Kitna...

That was my concern with Jordan -- the Raiders just gave Rhodes a ton of cash, so I expect them to give him a share of the carries. Benson is flawed, but he's got the job to himself at this point.
    I don't think Benson will have the job solo past week 5. Adrian Peterson is a solid back and unless Benson turns it on the next 2-4 games he will be splitting carries.

The Bears should have never traded Thomas Jones. Now a days, unless you have LJ or LT, you need two good RBs to be really successful. (unless you have Manning)

What about Williams, Ronnie Brown and Julius Jones for Larry Johnson? You give up depth at RB and a top WR for an absolute stud. Not too likely to work... but perhaps he'd go for it.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    What about Williams, Ronnie Brown and Julius Jones for Larry Johnson? You give up depth at RB and a top WR for an absolute stud. Not too likely to work... but perhaps he'd go for it.
    I like your thinking, but A) I'm not convinced LJ will put up top-10 numbers this season, because the Chiefs passing game is non-existent (meaning teams can stack the line against the run) and the O-Line is like a sieve, and B) LJ is the guy's favorite player.

I like your thinking, but A) I'm not convinced LJ will put up top-10 numbers this season, because the Chiefs passing game is non-existent (meaning teams can stack the line against the run) and the O-Line is like a sieve, and B) LJ is the guy's favorite player.
    I suppose your point A is the main reason I thought the other player might go for it... especially after Johnson's dismal performance last week, you might luck out and find him to be trigger happy. I don't think you're really taking much of a risk unloading Brown (less talent than LJ, similar problems with the O-Line) and Julius Jones is in a constant RB controversy with Marion Barber.

LJ is not that old (27) and he's a very talented back. Those facts alone should be good for 1,200 yards and 10 TDs... and probably much more. I think he might struggle early in the season, but he should still far out-perform both Jones and Brown at the end of the day. Roy Williams is a tough WR to give up, but I don't think he's going to be an elite one with so many other options in Detroit.

This is the kind of deal (trading a trio of level B players for a stud RB on a down trend) that I've risked twice in the past. One year, it won me the championship (I got Jamal Lewis right before his 2,000 yard season) and one year it blew up in my face (got Shaun Alexander right before he got injured). In both cases, I'd do it again.

Of course, if LJ is his favorite player, this might all be moot.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

I offered Williams and Julius Jones for Benson and Colston, but the guy turned it down.

Now the offer is Williams alone for Lamont Jordan and Colston. Does that seem fair?

Is he proposing that to you or are you proposing it to him?

If it's the latter, take it right away. Colston's value will never be so low -- and it's likely he will approach Williams' numbers at the end of the day. I actually like Lamont Jordan a bit better than Benson because he catches balls out of the backfield.

If it's the former, don't be surprised by another rejection. You might consider proposing Williams/Jones for Jordan/Colston... although maybe that's too close to a wash for your taste...

Can you add a third element to the deal? I still think Johnson is the one most worth pursuing, but we've already discussed that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedEye View Post
    Is he proposing that to you or are you proposing it to him?

If it's the latter, take it right away. Colston's value will never be so low -- and it's likely he will approach Williams' numbers at the end of the day. I actually like Lamont Jordan a bit better than Benson because he catches balls out of the backfield.

If it's the former, don't be surprised by another rejection. You might consider proposing Williams/Jones for Jordan/Colston... although maybe that's too close to a wash for your taste...

Can you add a third element to the deal? I still think Johnson is the one most worth pursuing, but we've already discussed that.
    Well, when he turned down my initial deal (after a couple of days spent thinking about it), he called Benson "his best RB." Maybe he's not so keen on LJ after all.

I asked him if he would consider Williams for Jordan and Colston, and he said he would. I haven't proposed the deal yet, though. I'll see if I can cook up a plan to get Larry Johnson.

I doubt I could get Johnson and Colston, but I could shoot for one of his other WRs -- Reggie Brown or Vincent Jackson.

Perhaps a Jones/Brown/Williams for Johnson/Jackson deal should be your next offer. Getting Jackson thrown in along with LJ has the potential to make this an absolute steal down the road. Act now, though... Johnson's value hasn't been this low in the last three years.

I'm offering Brown and Williams for Johnson and Jackson. Honestly, I don't think throwing in Julius Jones will help.

I'm offering Brown and Williams for Johnson and Jackson. Honestly, I don't think throwing in Julius Jones will help.
    Good luck... and let me know how it turns out. I'm pretty invested in your trade at this point!

Turn Off Ads?