Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Remaining Free Agents

Remaining Free Agents

Is there anyone(realistic) that the Reds could bring in these last few weeks before spring training? How about a guy like Doug Mientkiewicz(sp), has he signed yet? High contact guy, doesn't k a lot and seems to work pitchers. Could he be a target for the bench? I know he has played 1st, 3rd, and the corner OF last season.
    And whatever happened to all the Wiggington talk, is his asking price that high? I just can't believe the Reds are going as is into the season.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Remaining Free Agents

From F.O. word, you should believe it, sounds like we are sitting pat for awhile with this roster. Sure do hope S.T. comes around soon, at least before they announced they are done, I would be excited to check and see if anything new going on. There is no excitement now that we know nothing else going on, just sit and wait for it now....

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    From F.O. word, you should believe it, sounds like we are sitting pat for awhile with this roster. Sure do hope S.T. comes around soon, at least before they announced they are done, I would be excited to check and see if anything new going on. There is no excitement now that we know nothing else going on, just sit and wait for it now....
    I have to agree with bleedsred here. The reds just can't be done. As is, this is a sub-par team. The addition of one good bat could make all the difference. I have to believe that saying that they have met payroll and are standing pat is just rhetoric. Jocketty is not an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by roby View Post
    I have to agree with bleedsred here. The reds just can't be done. As is, this is a sub-par team. The addition of one good bat could make all the difference. I have to believe that saying that they have met payroll and are standing pat is just rhetoric. Jocketty is not an idiot.
    I hope so too of course, but Cast sounded pretty confident he was done and that he feels we have acontender in his recent interview, and seemed a lil bit moody over being questioned about not getting anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by bounty37h View Post
    I hope so too of course, but Cast sounded pretty confident he was done and that he feels we have acontender in his recent interview, and seemed a lil bit moody over being questioned about not getting anyone else.
    You may be right. I'm hoping, though, that he wants to win as bad as he says he wants to win. If so, he'll surely realize that the reds need one more solid run producing bat in the starting line-up.

If the Reds stand pat, I just don't see bringing my family to Cincy for our usual 4-5 weekends a year. I try to get to 8-12 games a season, but I can't fathom forking over the cash for tix, food, drink, and hotel stays along with gas $ plus loss of vacation days to see this team. I will watch this product from my recliner I guess. The Reds could have done a whole lot more with the 6+ million that will be tied up with Taveras and Weathers.

Why not stand pat now? We aren't going to sign any 10+ million dollar guys. And I don't think any of them left are worth that much anyway.

Doesn't anyone understand the idea of going into ST to figure the rest out? That's what ST is for. Besides, Walt will be looking at the bargains that will come with ST. Either in trade, released FA's or a FA who will be willing to sign for much less to have a job.

I'd be pissed if he wasted any more guaranteed money.

It's hilarious watching everyone on here "FREAK" over next years team. It's the best one we've had for years, so could you guys just give them a chance before you quit on this team for the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Why not stand pat now? We aren't going to sign any 10+ million dollar guys. And I don't think any of them left are worth that much anyway.

Doesn't anyone understand the idea of going into ST to figure the rest out? That's what ST is for. Besides, Walt will be looking at the bargains that will come with ST. Either in trade, released FA's or a FA who will be willing to sign for much less to have a job.

I'd be pissed if he wasted any more guaranteed money.

It's hilarious watching everyone on here "FREAK" over next years team. It's the best one we've had for years, so could you guys just give them a chance before you quit on this team for the year?
    You must be seeing something that i just don't see.

Old Red Guard Reject

The market right now is a buyers market. That's what I don't understand. The Reds are not over any predicted payroll number and by many estimates have 10 million or so to spend. I am betting Sheets ends up with an Andy Petitte-like two year deal which would work for the Reds because that is the same timeframe as the Harang and Arroyo deals. As for a bat, although I would prefer a righty, Dunn, Abreu, etc. are out there as is a flexible guy like Wigginton that crushed LH last year. I bet you could sign Sheets and Wigginton for around 10 together on incentive-based deals.
    If you ain't first, you're last! - Ricky Bobby

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

I see the Reds standing pat for now. There will still be some quality players available when spring training starts. Any recognizable player that hasn't signed with someone by then will be had for peanuts on a 1 year deal and, you can bet that Cast will open up the wallet if the price is right. A businessman has to understand the influx of cash that will happen with an improved product. Think Abreu/Sheets on a 1 year 6/7 million deal.

If there are no real obvious upgrades (except for CF we all know those upgrades will just be ignored) that are willing to sign for a cheap 1 year contract, then we will not see any more signings. I think WJ has enough pull to squeeze a few million out of BCast's pockets if the opportunity comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    ... It's hilarious watching everyone on here "FREAK" over next years team. It's the best one we've had for years, so could you guys just give them a chance before you quit on this team for the year?
    Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    ... If there are no real obvious upgrades ... that are willing to sign for a cheap 1 year contract, then we will not see any more signings. ...
    x2 on both statements.

RotoHester

Bobby Abreu Lowers Expectations
    By Tim Dierkes [January 27 at 3:02pm CST]
    According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, free agent outfielder Bobby Abreu has lowered his expectations to the three-year, $10-11MM range of Raul Ibanez and Milton Bradley.

The Dodgers, Reds, or Braves could get in on Abreu, but I imagine they'd still balk at the price.

Bobby Abreu Lowers Expectations

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2009/0...abreu-low.html

He would probably have to lower it to a one year deal before anyone was interested, but I see him and Dunn unsigned before Spring Training starts. They feel, correctly, that they can always get a one year deal, so why not wait to see if anyone blinks and gives them more.

(Looks like wojo beat me to it.)

Turn Off Ads?