Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BCS Declares Germany Winner of WWII

BCS Declares Germany Winner of WWII

I don't know who wrote this originally it came to me from my brother in-law who is a huge Texas fan. I google'd it. It's going around on a lot of message boards, but no one seems to know who the author is. If anyone finds the original please link it, they deserve credit.

US Ranked 4th

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants, the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolf Hitler said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented " France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.
    Last edited by Razor Shines; 12-07-2008 at 01:25 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: BCS Declares Germany Winner of WWII

Germany's SOS was atrocious.

Ummmm, interesting.

Did they take into consideration that the US was actually playing in one of those 'lessor' conferences (you know, MAC, WAC, GAC [opps, sorry that's the G-man ]?

Anyway, there we were (the US) just bligthly going about our game and all of a sudden we're scheduled against Japan and Germany! Come on! I thought we had Panama and Lichtenstein on the schedule! Darn, without airmail it's tough to keep up the frentic pace of the '40's!

Anyway, since the BCS has finally gone to a playoff system, and we kicked butt head-to-head, I think we'll be number one in '46.

Rem

The U.S. was an up-and-comer and therefore was lowly ranked in the preseason poll...

That's because our head coach (Ike) made some really terrible game time decisions early in the game.

He should have listened to his offensive coordinator (Patton).
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

A couple of the German linemen did become quality players for the Soviet and U.S.

I saw that on the College Football newsgroup. I thought about posting it myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I thought Germany lost to England too. That's a road loss to a much smaller opponent, which I think should've bumped them further back in the polls than it did.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    I thought Germany lost to England too. That's a road loss to a much smaller opponent, which I think should've bumped them further back in the polls than it did.

Germany had problems with Finland which was a 1-AA team. They won but Finland gave them a game.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I'm sorry but if it happened before 1950 doesn't that automatically make Notre Dame or Michigan the winner?

Appropriately, Army claimed a 3-peat between 1944 and 1946.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    Appropriately, Army claimed a 3-peat between 1944 and 1946.
    Everyone knows the AP doesn't matter anymore.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

This thread is worthless without a photoshop of Lee Corso wearing an oversized SS hat on the set of GameDay.

Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Yet just another shining example of why the BCS is flawed. I hope (real) controversies continue every year until a playoff system is adopted. Funny satirical article though, mad props to the author.
    "Trying is the first step towards failure." Homer Simpson

"I wasn't looking too good but I was feeling real well." Keith Richards

Quote Originally Posted by PedroBourbon View Post
    Yet just another shining example of why the BCS is flawed. I hope (real) controversies continue every year until a playoff system is adopted. Funny satirical article though, mad props to the author.
    The B12 just settled their conference championship on the field like everyone is always screaming for and it seems to still have some controversy. All a playoff will do is change what people complain about and cheapen the regular season.

As far as yearly controversy forcing some type of change I'd point out that there has been controversy over the CFB NC every year since the 1950's. How much change have we seen?

Turn Off Ads?