Turn Off Ads?
Page 40 of 46 FirstFirst ... 30363738394041424344 ... LastLast

Thread: Chapman

Re: Chapman

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    IF Chapman's ERA is under 3.50 as a starter. Has he even had a minor league season as a starter with that? Everyone acts like he's a bona fide given ace. He's not.
    The way I read it is that the people that don't want him to start want a gurantee that he will be an ace.

Sorry, we can't do that.

Won't know if they won't try.

Doesn't look like they'll try.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    You're assuming our 5 guys never miss a start again.....that's a BIG if. I doubt that will happen again this year. We need Chapman starting cause then we have Leake as backup rather than LeCure/Corcino
    I'm not sure they're going to try to have the same 5 all season. I'm thinking (ok hoping) they learned from the playoffs last year and will have someone like Cingrani (maybe Hoover too) ready to take someone's place. Heck, I think they'll keep working on Chapman and have him in the rotation in the second half of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by NebraskaRed View Post
    Heck, I think they'll keep working on Chapman and have him in the rotation in the second half of the season.
    If he goes to the bullpen, it's for good, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    If he goes to the bullpen, it's for good, imo.
    I think if he is the closer, he's the closer for good, probably his career. But I can easily see him used in the pen to start the season, and be the first guy to start if someone gets hurt,
    Hoping to change my username to 75769024

The way I read it is that the people that don't want him to start want a gurantee that he will be an ace.

Sorry, we can't do that.

Maybe the guys who get paid to know know. Or at least have a pretty solid idea to make it not worth the risk.

Sorry, we can't do that.

It's always easy to argue against an absurd position which nobody has taken. Nobody wants or expects a guarantee. C'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Maybe the guys who get paid to know know. Or at least have a pretty solid idea to make it not worth the risk.
    It seems that decesion is still pending.

Price and Walt have been consistent in saying he should be a starter

It seems that decesion is still pending.

Price and Walt have been consistent in saying he should be a starter
    And now maybe they changed their mind?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    It's always easy to argue against an absurd position which nobody has taken. Nobody wants or expects a guarantee. C'mon.
    You haven't said so, but its certainly been implied by others.

In this thread, there have been people that have said they don't want to have chapman start since we don't know what he'll do as a starter.

If I wasn't on my phone, I'd pull up the examples

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    And now maybe they changed their mind?
    Or maybe they are being over rulled by the guy with the check book.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I don't know how many times I've read the phrase "There's no guarantee that Chapman will be a dominant starter" in the reasoning of posters (not you). To me, that sounds like, word-for-word, a demand for a guarantee.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

13. Likes:

redsfandan (03-21-2013)

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    There's a difference between insubordination and a difference of opinion on how to deploy personnel. Let's not pretend that Dusty vs. Walt is the first difference of opinions between the manager and the front office.
    IF he is undermining Walt then that's unacceptable and insubordination, IMO. On the surface this appears that it MAY be more than just a difference of opinion.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

15. Likes:

redsfandan (03-21-2013),remdog (03-22-2013)

Stat geek...and proud

Sorry, we can't do that.

Exactly! There's no guarantees in this game. But not trying to maximize potential is a crime.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

17. Likes:

remdog (03-22-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Trajinous View Post
    You're assuming our 5 guys never miss a start again.....that's a BIG if. I doubt that will happen again this year. We need Chapman starting cause then we have Leake as backup rather than LeCure/Corcino
    No I'm not. I said I'd take what we had last year. Which was a division crown and a shot in the playoffs.

The complexity of this decision also involves other players -

Not sure the Reds want to take Leake out of the rotation now. May feel Leake will advance if he stays in the rotation. Unlikely IMO they want to send him to AAA.

Not sure the Reds really want Brox as set up man. Walt may feel the whole Brox signing was based on him probably closing and that, whatever has been said publicly, Brox simply must close.

Walt may feel the rotation is thinner than it appears. Maybe he is less happy with Leake than I said earlier. Maybe he doesn't like Cueto's spring. Maybe he fears Arroyo's mileage and, of course, Bronson is due to leave next year. This would tend toward starting Chappy.

Walt's view of Cingrani and Corcino could also be relevant. Are they sufficient insurance with Gallaraga and whomever else.

Walt is a very pragmatic GM. I doubt this is as simple as whether Chapman will be a good starter. I think this is a complex decision, no matter what the Reds are saying.

20. Likes:

remdog (03-22-2013)

Turn Off Ads?