Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Opening Day Lineup

Re: Opening Day Lineup

If BP or EE are batting second, I'll eat my hat.

1 - the CF, no matter who it is, but probably Hopper/Freel, if Bruce is there, slight chance he moves down, but then who? We have no lead-off candidates. Votto? Gimme a break
    2 - Votto, 1B, the only guy with patience on this team not named Dunn. Ideal #2 guy, although Dusty might not think so and give it to a Vet on opening day - like Hatte. Nobody outside of Keppinger is even a candidate for #2.
    3 - KGJ. It is pretty much set in stone
    4 - BP. Although it should be Dunn
    5 - Dunn. Although it should be BP
    6 - EE
    7 - Gonzo
    8 - Ross
    9 - Harang, obviously

As for the rest of the season lineups:
    When Keppinger starts, he should bat #2. When Hatte starts - which shouldn't be often, he should bat #2.

Dunn belongs just about ANYWHERE other than the #5 hole. Makes no sense to relegate your top OPS guy to potentially the middle of the 2nd inning. He batted well in the #2 hole, and 3 and 4 in his career. He needs more & better guys behind him to get him better pitches to see. Votto/Bruce behind him would help, but then we're back to the issue of 1 and 2 hole guys. We have too many guys who are mashers/free swingers. Good for offense I suppose. When KGJ retires/leaves, we put Bruce in RF, and then we can start a CF-er at #1 - maybe Hopper can continue to bunt/infield single his way on base, because we know he doesn't take a walk.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaRedleg View Post
    CF-Hopper or Bruce (Freel will be elsewhere by then)

I like the way you think

i like the thing you do
    \

Chettt's '08 Opening Day Line-up:

cf - Norris Hopper
    1b - Joey Votto
    2b - Brandon Phillips
    rf - Ken Griffey, Jr.
    3b - Edwin Encarnacion
    lf - Adam Dunn
    ss - Alex Gonzalez
    c - David Ross
    p - Aaron Harang

Quote Originally Posted by chettt View Post
    Chettt's '08 Opening Day Line-up:

cf - Norris Hopper
    1b - Joey Votto
    2b - Brandon Phillips
    rf - Ken Griffey, Jr.
    3b - Edwin Encarnacion
    lf - Adam Dunn
    ss - Alex Gonzalez
    c - David Ross
    p - Aaron Harang
    Your best offensive player hits 6th and has Gonzalez to protect him. Jerry is that you?

Given the following lineup:

C-Ross
    1B-Votto
    2B-Phillips
    SS-Gonzalez
    3B-EE
    LF-Dunn
    CF-Bruce
    RF-Griffey

We need to hit a LH leadoff because it will make it easier to spread them around in the order. I like Votto leadoff because he will have a high OBP and reports are that he is a pretty good baserunner. I put EE second because he will have the highest OBP amongst RH hitters. Third should be your highest OPS guy, which is Dunn. Next, cleanup should be your next highest SLUG, which in this case I believe to be Bruce. I'd follow him with the RH Phillips, because I don't expect his numbers to be very far off from Griffey. Griffey, sixth. Obviously, Gonzalez hits seventh and Ross eighth, followed by the pitcher. It wouldn't bother me too much to switch Griffey and Bruce in the 4th/6th spots if it will eleviate pressure from Bruce. That's BaseClogger's opening day batting order...

Quote Originally Posted by kbrake View Post
    Your best offensive player hits 6th and has Gonzalez to protect him. Jerry is that you?

Prediction for Baker's Lineup:
    CF-Freel
    2B-Phillips
    RF-Griffey
    LF-Dunn
    3B-Encarnacion
    1B-Votto
    SS-Gonzo
    C- Ross

My Opening Day Lineup
    1B- Votto
    3B-Encarnacion
    LF-Dunn
    CF-Bruce
    RF-Griffey
    2B-Phillips
    SS-Gonzo
    C-Ross/Valentin
    :thumbdown

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    :thumbdown
    care to explain what you dissaprove of?

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    care to explain what you dissaprove of?
    Well there is a few things... Votto leading off, I havn't seen enough of him to stick him at the top of the order .I wouldn't have Bruce hitting cleanup(I love the guy but he is yet to have his first ML at-bat) not when I have a guy (Junior) just about to hit his 600th homerun.BP hitting 6th the guy is a 30-30 guy I would have him batting higher than 6th.The problem is we don't have a true leadoff hitter in the lineup if Bruce start but I would rather have no leadoff than no Bruce

3rd-Encarnacion
    1B-Votto
    RF-Griffey
    2B-Phillips
    LF-Dunn
    CF-Bruce
    SS-Gonzo
    C-Ross

Quote Originally Posted by Lockdwn11 View Post
    Well there is a few things... Votto leading off, I havn't seen enough of him to stick him at the top of the order .I wouldn't have Bruce hitting cleanup(I love the guy but he is yet to have his first ML at-bat) not when I have a guy (Junior) just about to hit his 600th homerun.BP hitting 6th the guy is a 30-30 guy I would have him batting higher than 6th.The problem is we don't have a true leadoff hitter in the lineup if Bruce start but I would rather have no leadoff than no Bruce
    Your right we have no leadoff hitter with Bruce in the lineup. Votto is the best option, IMO.

As for the rest of your problems with the lineup. Jay Bruce still has plenty in his bat. I dont care that Junior is approaching 600 homeruns, he is lucky to have 50 HR's left in that bat. Lets not base our 2008 lineup on who was good in 1998.

Brandon Phillips might be 30-30 but he is still a hacker that makes entirely too many outs. 6th is perfect for him.

Your right we have no leadoff hitter with Bruce in the lineup. Votto is the best option, IMO.

As for the rest of your problems with the lineup. Jay Bruce still has plenty in his bat. I dont care that Junior is approaching 600 homeruns, he is lucky to have 50 HR's left in that bat. Lets not base our 2008 lineup on who was good in 1998.

Brandon Phillips might be 30-30 but he is still a hacker that makes entirely too many outs. 6th is perfect for him.
    Ok thats fine but lets not base it on what never have been either. Like I said I love Jay Bruce and I think he is going to be a great player for a long time but to stick him in the four hole right out of the gate may be asking to much of the kid.

As far as Junior only having 50 left in his bat well lets just say I would take that bet the old has been hit 30 just last year and as for Brandon 6th is perfect for him in your opinion.
    Last edited by Lockdwn11; 02-03-2008 at 04:36 PM.

Maybe he hits .241 because he has no one behind him. Let him hit 3rd and have Bruce/Griffey/Phillips or something to that effect behind him and watch him start to get pitched to. Not a good idea to have no protection for your best offensive player, yet we did it for all of 2007.
    I agree and I think it would help Ross if he could get some protection.

My guess for Opening Day

Freel
    Phillips
    Griffey
    Dunn
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Gonzales
    Ross
    Harang

My Lineup

Hopper
    Dunn
    Griffey
    Encarnacion
    Votto
    Ross
    Phillips
    Gonzales

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    I agree and I think it would help Ross if he could get some protection.
    It'd be great if we could get him some protection, but you can't possibly want to hit a guy with a .271 OBP any higher than eighth!?

Turn Off Ads?