Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Refreshing Honesty

Refreshing Honesty

I just have to say that I really enjoy the honesty in broadcasting from Brennaman and Brantley. Nothing against Grand and Welsh but I find it enjoyable that these guys say what all of us (well some of us) have been thinking for years. They called out Griffey today and Brantley wouldnt let it die, but he was right. They called out Valentine for swinging at 2 bad pitches after Aquino had thrown ten straight balls. While watching the game with my father today, I remarked that these guys must not have seen much Reds baseball the last couple of years, because they are amazed at things that have been going on for years, and Brennaman remarking "I am going to get off my high horse, as I was all over them in Arizona", as he was speaking about the Reds swinging at bad pitches in a hitters count. Brantley then remarked "I dont think the Reds have a take sign". Not that I like to see the Reds make mistakes or play bad ball, just like the announcers being honest and observant.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Refreshing Honesty

I like all four of our announcers,they all really tell it like it is. Brennaman and Brantley really tell the truth and I love it.Thats the main reason I like Marty b/c he tells the facts and thats what I want to hear when watching or listening to a game.
    I can spell,I just can't type!!

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    I like all four of our announcers,they all really tell it like it is. Brennaman and Brantley really tell the truth and I love it.Thats the main reason I like Marty b/c he tells the facts and thats what I want to hear when watching or listening to a game.
    Marty often confuses fact with fiction (opinion).
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post
    Marty often confuses fact with fiction (opinion).

love him or hate him he always tells it like it is.

Quote Originally Posted by WVPacman View Post
    love him or hate him he always tells it like it is.
    No. He doesn't. But you can always count on him to tell it like he THINKS it is.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by runfreelrun View Post
    They called out Valentine for swinging at 2 bad pitches after Aquino had thrown ten straight balls.
    the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

No. He doesn't. But you can always count on him to tell it like he THINKS it is.
    Quoted for truth. (It is hard for me to cut on a guy that speaks his mind.)

I have to admit that I have enjoyed the duo of Thom and Brantley these last few games. I also REALLY enjoyed having Joe back in the booth.

GL

/Yes I am complimenting Reds announcers. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the 2-0 pitch was thigh high right down the middle, exactly the kind of pitch he should be swinging at (the 2-1 pitch they rightly called him on) but in those situations you are looking for a pitch to drive and score multiple runs. Why let the pitcher off the hook by taking a really good pitch to hit?
    I'm with you.

On topic of the main post, Thom beats things to death. But thankfully he knows that and didn't mention plate patience tonight.

Brantley is only refreshing for me basically because he can recognize pitches, especially changeups. I swear no non-player can recognize a change up and it drives me crazy when they sit there and talk about the slider when it is not.

I agree with you flyer on the first strike,he did'nt have to swing but any batter would have.Dad and I laughed are butts off when they both said that he should not have swung then he slamed the ball for a three run double.lol

Isn't that part of his job?

agreed.... Welsh and Grande are homers

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doro View Post
    agreed.... Welsh and Grande are homers
    aren't we all though...

Amen TB
    Go Gators!

Props to Thom B. for showing some self-awareness. His acknowledgement that he DID beat it to death in Arizona gives me hope. That line most of us see, where he can impart a criticism without leaving the point lifeless and strewn all over our tv sets, was found last night. He and Brantly had a solid broadcast...
    Last edited by membengal; 04-18-2007 at 08:48 AM.

Recovering Cubs Fan

When Thom gets too critical he comes across as Marty's little mini-me. I'm guessing someone told him to ease up.

Turn Off Ads?