Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

Re: Dan Lebatard's HOF vote

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You guys still watch ESPN? It's like the MTV of sports.
    What's MTV?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

2. Turn Off Ads?
    For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    You guys still watch ESPN? It's like the MTV of sports.
    Listen on the radio while showering. No XM Radio for me until I get in the car. Of course Ozzy's Boneyard (XM35) does not talk sports either lol.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    The Mike-and-Mike NBA talk has been nauseating for years now. Some days they will discuss NBA for the first hour of their program and nothing else. Of course ESPN has a big TV contract with the NBA, so I guess we should expect it.
    Try watching ESPN when you don't care for the NFL.

As for LeBatard's actions, I loved it. He could have talked about it on his shows (and has been for years), but that sort of opinion is white noise in the sports world. You need to do something dramatic to have that kind of impact, and he did.

Dan stirred up a hornets nest when he went after fellow sports writers. They are very defensive about the privileges they have acquired over the years and Dan's statement that their votes are meaningless put that power in jeopardy. The writers then felt they had to come down hard on him. They understand that there is no real and tangible reason that they are the gatekeepers to the HOF or at least know that their role is tenuous.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedTeamGo! View Post
    Recently I have noticed ESPN focusing more and more on the NBA. I think with NFL Network and NBC Sports Network they have more competition with the NFL and as a result they are starting to really push the NBA. Almost every day I listen to ESPN radio in the morning and evening (terrible commute) and have noticed even on big college football or NFL days they will bring up Lebron, the Heat, the Pacers, Kevin Durant, Carmelo, the Knicks, etc.

I used to enjoy the NBA but I have completely lost interest. I find none of the storylines interesting anymore. Lebron is a great player, perhaps the greatest of all time, but I just don't care.
    They have the big contract with the NBA now, showing several games a week. Just follow the money trail.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    They have the big contract with the NBA now, showing several games a week. Just follow the money trail.
    What's the NBA?

7. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-12-2014),Joseph (01-10-2014),Red in Chicago (01-10-2014)

The whole thing really sounded like a publicity stunt to promote his poorly rated tv show and newly nationally syndicated radio show. A lot of people IMOP have given him too much credit.

He agreed to give his vote away to deadspin with no conditions. You have to give deadspin some credit for doing a web poll instead of making a joke of the process by only voting for JT Snow ect.

9. Likes:

bengalsown (01-10-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric from NC View Post
    The whole thing really sounded like a publicity stunt to promote his poorly rated tv show and newly nationally syndicated radio show. A lot of people IMOP have given him too much credit.

He agreed to give his vote away to deadspin with no conditions. You have to give deadspin some credit for doing a web poll instead of making a joke of the process by only voting for JT Snow ect.
    I agree. The fact that he admitted it was him immediately after makes me think someone was attention whoring...

Nissan runs a poll online and gives the fans an official Heisman Trophy vote, this doesn't really seem any different, other than the right people weren't getting paid.

Agree with the above post about Le Betard though. It's one thing to take a contrarian stance because you truly believe it, but he plays the contrarian just for contrarian's sake role so often that it's hard to respect anything he does.

A couple points -

- I believe Lebatard's reasoning for participating in this was not simply to draw attention to what at least some may think is an absurd process. Lebatard's beef has more to do with his irritation about steroid guys not getting votes. They reported that guys like Bonds and Clemens, who were users but thought to be HOF-worthy by some regardless of their usage, lost votes this time around. Lebatard may not have been able to predict this result, but giving his vote up probably had to do with him having some knowledge through the grapevines that guys like those two were not going to pick up any momentum in their candidacies this year.

- So along with the point above, what of it? People pointed that Deadspin's ballot selections wasn't bad, but that's not really the point. Lebatard apparently wants to take his ball and go home because the guys he likes aren't going to get voted in. That being the case, I think a better angle for him to take would be to vote for the Bonds/Clemens types, then use his shows as a platform to make the case for why he's voting his way, regardless of what anyone else thinks. In other words, fight the good fight and stop playing the victim.

- I believe Mike & Mike made the point that people like Vin Scully and Bob Costas, who have been involved in sports reporting or otherwise for quite some time but are not writers, do not have a vote. The vote is limited to sports writers - which leaves out commentators, sabrmetrics guys, etc. So that being the case, I believe you're getting a warped view of who is "deserving" of a vote because you're allowing only people with a certain perspective/background to vote. To me, it would be like polling white people to see what their views are on racism toward minorities.
    Xavier University Football - undefeated since 1973

13. Likes:

757690 (01-11-2014),Tony Cloninger (01-12-2014)

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by indyscott View Post
    Not sure what one has to do with another, but no I dont. Not sure how one can associate a guy being banned from baseball be allowed to be in the HOF.

Now spin away
    Because gambling is banned for fear of inauthentic results.

Steroids give you the same thing, just in the bloodstream.

The response from the BBWAA seems to be focuses on LeBatard giving his vote away to people who haven't "earned" the right to vote. It's pure hubris. These clowns still want to pretend they're the gatekeepers of the game, despite their general ignorance and incompetence. So how dare LeBatard give his vote away to regular people.

Well, this is a board filled with regular people and I am 100% positive we've got a brighter, better informed HOF voting electorate here than the BBWAA.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

16. Likes:

*BaseClogger* (01-12-2014),blumj (01-12-2014),Chip R (01-12-2014),dubc47834 (01-12-2014),pahster (01-11-2014)

Perhaps Lebatard's actions will have the consequences he desired.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/20...?event=event12

The Baseball Writers’ Association of America has formed a committee to discuss, and possibly recommend changes to the Hall of Fame voting system.

The committee, of which I am a part, has not yet met, but the recent logjam of worthy candidates for induction has created interest in some circles to expand the ballot from the maximum 10, allowing voters to cast ballots for as many players as they like.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

Cafardo being on the committee is probably not a good sign.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by cacollinsmba View Post
    A couple points -

- I believe Lebatard's reasoning for participating in this was not simply to draw attention to what at least some may think is an absurd process. Lebatard's beef has more to do with his irritation about steroid guys not getting votes. They reported that guys like Bonds and Clemens, who were users but thought to be HOF-worthy by some regardless of their usage, lost votes this time around. Lebatard may not have been able to predict this result, but giving his vote up probably had to do with him having some knowledge through the grapevines that guys like those two were not going to pick up any momentum in their candidacies this year.

- So along with the point above, what of it? People pointed that Deadspin's ballot selections wasn't bad, but that's not really the point. Lebatard apparently wants to take his ball and go home because the guys he likes aren't going to get voted in. That being the case, I think a better angle for him to take would be to vote for the Bonds/Clemens types, then use his shows as a platform to make the case for why he's voting his way, regardless of what anyone else thinks. In other words, fight the good fight and stop playing the victim.

- I believe Mike & Mike made the point that people like Vin Scully and Bob Costas, who have been involved in sports reporting or otherwise for quite some time but are not writers, do not have a vote. The vote is limited to sports writers - which leaves out commentators, sabrmetrics guys, etc. So that being the case, I believe you're getting a warped view of who is "deserving" of a vote because you're allowing only people with a certain perspective/background to vote. To me, it would be like polling white people to see what their views are on racism toward minorities.

It is crazy that Scully and Costas would not have a vote.

I always thought Bonds was a HOF before the obvious juicing began, which to me was around 2000-01...when he started to look like he grew an extra head.

Clemens looked done before he went to Toronto and magically rediscovered his fastball and quit getting injured.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Because gambling is banned for fear of inauthentic results.

Steroids give you the same thing, just in the bloodstream.
    And if they want to ban steroid users for life I could understand and back. Once again, whats one have to do with the other?

Turn Off Ads?