Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm not sold on the Pirates

Re: I'm not sold on the Pirates

The Pirates are the only team in baseball not to score 200 runs on the season coming into today. They are 31st in BA, last in OBP, OPS, and OPS+, and 30th in SLG. The only player on their team with an OPS+ above 100 is Andrew McCutchen. If they are going to complete they have to improve their offense, regardless of their pitching.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

The Pirates are going to finish 2012 with a losing record -- because that's what they do. Failure is hard-wired into the franchise's DNA.

The only thing the Reds (and, by extension, Reds fans) need to worry about regarding the Pirates is beating them -- because the Pirates aren't going to win the NL Central, but losses to them could be what prevents the Reds from doing so.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

It would be nice to play the Pirates later in the season after they have done their fade.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    It would be nice to play the Pirates later in the season after they have done their fade.
    I find it ironic that the Reds have helped out in getting the Pirates record to what it is the last couple of years....just a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The Pirates are going to finish 2012 with a losing record -- because that's what they do. Failure is hard-wired into the franchise's DNA.

The only thing the Reds (and, by extension, Reds fans) need to worry about regarding the Pirates is beating them -- because the Pirates aren't going to win the NL Central, but losses to them could be what prevents the Reds from doing so.
    It wasn't so long ago that people said the same thing about the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    It wasn't so long ago that people said the same thing about the Reds.
    Of course. But do the 2012 Pirates have the talent of the 2010-2012 Reds?

Haunted by walks

I think it's hard to say "the Reds may have some problems but look, they're in first place; that's what matters," then turn around and say, "the Pirates may be be in second but they've got problems."

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    I think it's hard to say "the Reds may have some problems but look, they're in first place; that's what matters," then turn around and say, "the Pirates may be be in second but they've got problems."
    The Reds are in first place, and their underlying numbers suggest they will be in contention at the end of the 162 game season.

The Pirates, not so much.

After the Reds blew the home series against the Pirates, I predicted that the Pirates would be in first place by Sunday. A loss tonight and that will unfortunately come true. I remember scribes and blogs and Cardinal Nation were saying that the Reds wouldn't last until the end of the season. You can bet that this Pirate team will surprise just like the Reds did in 2010. Mark that one down.
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    After the Reds blew the home series against the Pirates, I predicted that the Pirates would be in first place by Sunday. A loss tonight and that will unfortunately come true. I remember scribes and blogs and Cardinal Nation were saying that the Reds wouldn't last until the end of the season. You can bet that this Pirate team will surprise just like the Reds did in 2010. Mark that one down.
    They've improved, but keep in mind your prediction of wins for the 2011 Pirates, found earlier in this thread.

To be clear I am very concerned about the Pirates in 2014 or so, just not this year. Believe me I wouldn't mind Appel slipping thru their fingers. They could have a filthy rotation in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    They've improved, but keep in mind your prediction of wins for the 2011 Pirates, found earlier in this thread.
    Yeah <blush>, but they never smelled first place and didn't have any pitching--just luck. Now they have the pitching to compete and a lucky horseshoe against their main competition--us.

Look, I hope I'm wrong, but I see it coming and I don't like it mainly because I have to spend next weekend in Pittsburgh at my in-laws. I'm thinking about faking a heart attack. Seriously. It won't be fun,
    www.ris-news.com
    "You only have to bat a thousand in two things; flying and heart transplants. Everything else you can go 4-for-5."
    -Beano Cook

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Yeah <blush>, but they never smelled first place and didn't have any pitching--just luck. Now they have the pitching to compete and a lucky horseshoe against their main competition--us.

Look, I hope I'm wrong, but I see it coming and I don't like it mainly because I have to spend next weekend in Pittsburgh at my in-laws. I'm thinking about faking a heart attack. Seriously,
    Without looking I believe they were in first place in July.

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Without looking I believe they were in first place in July.
    Standings on July 19, 2011

“I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Thank you Tom. I feel like I'm stirring up trouble with all this but I'm just trying to put things in perspective.

Turn Off Ads?