Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trade Deadline Wish List

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Trade Deadline Wish List

With some big names being tossed around and some big names already in new uniforms I like to see what the Reds do. They should have swept the hottest team in baseball or at least took 3 of 4 but managed to split the series with the Mets. If this team is going to compete this late into the season they would likly need a starter and a right handed bat. So here is my logic.

- Sign Freddy Garcia to a two year contract with incentives.

Garcia will fit in the number 4 slot following Harang, Volquez, and Arroyo. Cueto would be your 5th starter.

- Trade Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Josh Roenicke, and Sam Lecure to Colorado for Matt Holliday.

Holliday would re-unite with Affeldt and Fogg from last years NL Championship team and would give the Reds the right handed power bat the desperatly need.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Re: Trade Deadline Wish List

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    - Trade Homer Bailey, Matt Maloney, Josh Roenicke, and Sam Lecure to Colorado for Matt Holliday.
    I wouldn't mind getting Holliday, that's for sure. But from that list, it looks like you may be overpaying to do it. I know people here are down on Homer...but he's still just a kid. He's still got great stuff. A little patience wouldn't hurt. Maloney (once healthy) has a great shot to be a quality middle of the rotation starter. Dumping one starting prospect is one thing...but two? And add to that Roenicke...he's got closer written all over him. Lecure I'm not that familiar with though. But regardless, that's over-paying in my book.

As for Garcia...pass.

For what it's worth, supposedly the Rockies wanted Adenhart, Kendrick/Aybar, and Santana/Saunders. A package headlined by Bailey wouldn't even come close.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    I wouldn't mind getting Holliday, that's for sure. But from that list, it looks like you may be overpaying to do it. I know people here are down on Homer...but he's still just a kid. He's still got great stuff. A little patience wouldn't hurt. Maloney (once healthy) has a great shot to be a quality middle of the rotation starter. Dumping one starting prospect is one thing...but two? And add to that Roenicke...he's got closer written all over him. Lecure I'm not that familiar with though. But regardless, that's over-paying in my book.

As for Garcia...pass.
    I'm on the other side of the debate than you SC. I think the Rockies would hang up on Jocketty if he called and offered that.

Maloney doesn't project as more than maybe a long guy. The right team might mold him into a passable swing man. Lecures been back and forth in AA, I'm not sure he's going to end up better than Belisle. Roenike is unproven, but promising, and Bailey is still a huge question mark.

If I'm the Rockies I'm asking for Bruce and Volquez, but willing to accept maybe Bailey, Bruce/Votto, and another couple young arms.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I'm on the other side of the debate than you SC. I think the Rockies would hang up on Jocketty if he called and offered that.

Maloney doesn't project as more than maybe a long guy. The right team might mold him into a passable swing man. Lecures been back and forth in AA, I'm not sure he's going to end up better than Belisle. Roenike is unproven, but promising, and Bailey is still a huge question mark.

If I'm the Rockies I'm asking for Bruce and Volquez, but willing to accept maybe Bailey, Bruce/Votto, and another couple young arms.
    I came across this on a trade rumor roundup, from the LA Times:

However, should the Angels wish to pursue Holliday, they'll need to dig deeper than one minor league pitcher. The Rockies are believed to be interested in completing a package with second baseman Howie Kendrick, who might hit 60 doubles in Coors Field, and one of the Angels' All-Star starters, Ervin Santana or Joe Saunders.
    http://www.faketeams.com/2008/7/20/5...umors-a-sunday
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

No thanks on Garcia.

According to his agent, Garcia is throwing 84-87 mph and has avoided setbacks, but is only interested in signing a contract for this season rather than also giving teams an option for 2009.

Agent Peter Greenberg said Wednesday that free agent Freddy Garcia (shoulder) is hoping to workout for teams by the end of this month. "We're hoping to showcase him, if possible, by the end of July," Greenberg said. "We think he's going to help somebody in the majors this year, September and October. If there's somebody that wants to sign him to a multiyear deal, we'll be receptive to that. Our preference is just to sign Freddy for the rest of this year."

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/pla...rt=MLB&id=2739
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

no, no and no ... man is another Coors Field illusion(and the numbers show it). 2005 thru 2007 he had an OPS of .805 away from Coors. He has very little power outside of Coors field.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

- Sign Freddy Garcia to a two year contract with incentives.

Garcia will fit in the number 4 slot following Harang, Volquez, and Arroyo. Cueto would be your 5th starter.
    Consider me crazy, but I prefer my #4 starter being healthy enough to actually pitch.

I wouldn't sign Garcia to a 2 minute contract.

Trading for 1.3 years of Holliday only makes sense if we are going all out for the penneant this year.

If we are, I missed that newsflash.

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I came across this on a trade rumor roundup, from the LA Times:

http://www.faketeams.com/2008/7/20/5...umors-a-sunday
    If this is what COL wants I wonder what we could get for Dunn without asking for a piece of their rotation.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    no, no and no ... man is another Coors Field illusion(and the numbers show it). 2005 thru 2007 he had an OPS of .805 away from Coors. He has very little power outside of Coors field.
    And the GABP is a pitchers park?

I would take a run at Holliday, but I don't know if the Reds have the firepower to do it. It would probably take a package of Bailey, Keppinger (I think he would be dynamite at Coors) Roenicke, plus something else not named Frazier, Soto, or Stubbs. It would be an interesting look for the Reds.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    And the GABP is a pitchers park?
    Not sure what your point is.

GABP will adds HRs to almost everyone(Coors also adds singles, doubles and triples) ... not just a guy like Holliday. However, when you hit the road the power is going to disappear almost completely. Not the kind of guy to spend a lot of talent or money on.

I wonder what Reds fans would think if Dunn had 5 HRs and 14 RBIs away from GABP.

I'd go get me some Josh Willingham. He can pretty much make up for the loss of Dunn...

First off I like the idea of us being buyers at the deadline, but it may be hard for us to win a playoff spot, but now is the time to gain momentum into 2009!!!! So no I want no part of Freddy Garcia and Holliday will cost an arm and a leg to land, so here are my ideas:

Reds/White Sox Trade---Bronson Arroyo and David Weathers for
    1)Clayton Richard-(AAA) LHSP 25yrs old
    2)John Ely-(A+) RHSP 22yrs old
    3)Brian Anderson-CF MLB

Reds/Marlins Trade---David Ross for
    1) John Raynor-(AA) OF 24yrs old

Reds/Rockies Trade----Devin Mesoraco, Matt Maloney, Sam Lecure, and Shaun Cumberland for

1)Clint Barmes-MLB SS/2B
    2)Chris Iannetta-MLB C

Just some ideas to get depth at the minors for pitching as well as bettering the bench for 2009...thoughts

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    First off I like the idea of us being buyers at the deadline, but it may be hard for us to win a playoff spot, but now is the time to gain momentum into 2009!!!! So no I want no part of Freddy Garcia and Holliday will cost an arm and a leg to land, so here are my ideas:

Reds/White Sox Trade---Bronson Arroyo and David Weathers for
    1)Clayton Richard-(AAA) LHSP 25yrs old
    2)John Ely-(A+) RHSP 22yrs old
    3)Brian Anderson-CF MLB

Reds/Marlins Trade---David Ross for
    1) John Raynor-(AA) OF 24yrs old

Reds/Rockies Trade----Devin Mesoraco, Matt Maloney, Sam Lecure, and Shaun Cumberland for

1)Clint Barmes-MLB SS/2B
    2)Chris Iannetta-MLB C

Just some ideas to get depth at the minors for pitching as well as bettering the bench for 2009...thoughts

For the most part, that's not buyers, that's sellers.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'd go get me some Josh Willingham. He can pretty much make up for the loss of Dunn...
    snap your fingers and click your heels

Turn Off Ads?