Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 International Signings

2008 International Signings

Baseball America is just now starting to reveal a list of the 2008 International signings. They are breaking them down by each team and giving a little summary on nearly every player. They haven't gotten to the Reds yet, but when they do, I'll try to summarize it and post it here. They did reveal a list of which organizations spent the most and topping that list was our Reds, and it wasn't really even close.

The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings. The next closest team was the Oakland A's, who spent $4.88 million, although $4 million of that was spent on Michel Inoa. That's nice to see. I'm hoping the Reds make this a yearly thing.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 2008 International Signings

Do they count Juan Duran on the 2008 signee list? Even if they counted Duran with this year's list that is still 1.2 million spent on other players besides him and Yorman.

good sign.

well, either that or a rathole

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Do they count Juan Duran on the 2008 signee list? Even if they counted Duran with this year's list that is still 1.2 million spent on other players besides him and Yorman.
    I'm 99.9% sure Duran counts as a 2008 signee. Yorman Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million, Juan Duran for $2 million, and Junior Arias for $300,000. That's a total of $4.8 million, so the Reds spent roughly $900,000 on other players. I'm anxious to see who those other players are.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I'm 99.9% sure Duran counts as a 2008 signee. Yorman Rodriguez signed for $2.5 million, Juan Duran for $2 million, and Junior Arias for $300,000. That's a total of $4.8 million, so the Reds spent roughly $900,000 on other players. I'm anxious to see who those other players are.
    Juan Duran does count, under the list of spenders they added that the 5.7 million the Reds spent is all on six-figure bonuses or higher. They also said they counted signings from January through September this year.

Quote Originally Posted by New Fever View Post
    Juan Duran does count, under the list of spenders they added that the 5.7 million the Reds spent is all on six-figure bonuses or higher. They also said they counted signings from January through September this year.
    Wow. Thanks for pointing that out. I completely missed that until you pointed it out. So in addition to Arias, Duran, and Yorman, I'm guessing the Reds signed at least three or more six figure prospects with that $900,000. And I'm guessing the Reds spent well over $6 million total when you factor in players that signed for five- and four-figure bonuses.

The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings.

Last year's payroll was $74 mil. I had heard rumors that it was going to be around $80. I wonder if those international signings represent the difference.

The Reds spent a total of $5,705,000 on 2008 International signings. The next closest team was the Oakland A's, who spent $4.88 million, although $4 million of that was spent on Michel Inoa. That's nice to see. I'm hoping the Reds make this a yearly thing.
    Didn't the Reds offer Inoa more than the As? Hell, our figure could have been $10 million.

Quote Originally Posted by kpresidente View Post
    Didn't the Reds offer Inoa more than the As? Hell, our figure could have been $10 million.
    Yep. The Reds offered him $5 million and a major league contract.

The Rangers offerred him even more, didn't they?

I believe the Rangers offered him $5.2 million.

Yep. The Reds offered him $5 million and a major league contract.
    What's your source on this...just curious.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    I believe an ESPN.com article stated that.

Quote Originally Posted by TOBTTReds View Post
    Inoa and his parents turned down more lucrative offers from the Cincinnati Reds and the Texas Rangers due to Oakland's positive results developing young pitchers. The Reds offered a $5 million signing bonus and a major league contract, while the Rangers offered $5.2 million, according to Inoa.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3470209

Wow, thanks.

Turn Off Ads?