Turn Off Ads?
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Taylor "Swift" Trammell

Re: Taylor "Swift" Trammell

Quote Originally Posted by podgejeff_ View Post
    Looking over CF guys today I'm not seeing a ton of guys that profile as good bat, just ok power, plus defense, plus plus speed.

His ceiling would be something pretty special. Kenny Lofton?
    Let's go all out and say ceiling of Ken Griffey Jr low of Andre Dawson!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Don't get the Okey pick?

Mesoraco's future is in doubt so Reds wanted a college catcher.

Okey had the ability to go back to Clemson so he got $500,000 over slot.
    There was no way in this world he was going back to college as a senior and turning down $1.5M, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Muller was a bit of a favorite of mine as well.

But I want to know who Chuckie wanted.
    I liked Muller too, but I preferred the best college OF on the board with the 43 pick. And if the Reds wanted a college catcher, I wish they would have waited until the third round and taken Sean Murphy from Wright State. The A's drafted him a few picks later in the third round, so he would have been available when the Reds selected in the third. Murphy was ranked ahead of Okey entering the 2016 college baseball season. Murphy was very impressive in the Cape Cod league last year (Cape Cod All-Star) and the only reason he slipped in the draft was because half his junior season this past spring was wiped out due to a minor injury. Murphy signed for slot ($700K and change). I bet he ends up having a better career than Okey.

Reds put too much stock in Okey's 2016 season at Clemson. Murphy was always considered the better prospect before this year. And he signed for $1.3M less than Okey.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Alec Hansen was considered a better prospect than Nick Senzel before the year too. So freaking what? This year happened. Things changed.

6. Likes:

alwaysawarrior (07-08-2016),cincyinco (07-11-2016),Edd Roush (07-08-2016),SoTxRedsFan (07-07-2016),Tom Servo (07-07-2016)

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckie View Post
    Reds put too much stock in Okey's 2016 season at Clemson. Murphy was always considered the better prospect before this year. And he signed for $1.3M less than Okey.
    Okey's sophomore season (.315/.389/.545, 12 HRs) was only slightly less great than his 2016 season. And the ACC is a little tougher competition than the Horizon League that Wright State plays in. I think Okey's bat was better than the college outfielders available at #43 (Buddy Reed, Ryan Boldt, JB Woodman, Ronnie Dawson). I'm not sure which lists you are referring to, for instance this Baseball America list going into this season had Okey ranked ahead of Murphy and also Zack Collins.

I'm also not sure why the slot money spent on Okey is so important to you if you are, at the same time, bashing the Reds for not spending MORE of their money.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

8. Likes:

cincyinco (07-11-2016)

I wear Elly colored glass WrongVerb's Avatar

Does 18 year old Trammell remind anyone of 18 year old Jay Bruce?
    Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity, in all this vastness, there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. -- Carl Sagan (Pale Blue Dot)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Okey's sophomore season (.315/.389/.545, 12 HRs) was only slightly less great than his 2016 season. And the ACC is a little tougher competition than the Horizon League that Wright State plays in. I think Okey's bat was better than the college outfielders available at #43 (Buddy Reed, Ryan Boldt, JB Woodman, Ronnie Dawson). I'm not sure which lists you are referring to, for instance this Baseball America list going into this season had Okey ranked ahead of Murphy and also Zack Collins.

I'm also not sure why the slot money spent on Okey is so important to you if you are, at the same time, bashing the Reds for not spending MORE of their money.
    Fair enough. You asked me who I would have taken and I told you. Best college OF available at 43, then Sean Murphy in the early third. You're happy with Okey and Hanson in those spots, all good. I obviously hope it works out well for the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongVerb View Post
    Does 18 year old Trammell remind anyone of 18 year old Jay Bruce?
    Not particularly.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

I liked Muller too, but I preferred the best college OF on the board with the 43 pick. And if the Reds wanted a college catcher, I wish they would have waited until the third round and taken Sean Murphy from Wright State. The A's drafted him a few picks later in the third round, so he would have been available when the Reds selected in the third. Murphy was ranked ahead of Okey entering the 2016 college baseball season. Murphy was very impressive in the Cape Cod league last year (Cape Cod All-Star) and the only reason he slipped in the draft was because half his junior season this past spring was wiped out due to a minor injury. Murphy signed for slot ($700K and change). I bet he ends up having a better career than Okey.

Murphy runs like he's got a load in his pants. I know, he's a catcher and running aesthetics don't really matter. Still, that bugs me.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

13. Likes:

SoTxRedsFan (07-09-2016)

Fair enough. You asked me who I would have taken and I told you. Best college OF available at 43, then Sean Murphy in the early third. You're happy with Okey and Hanson in those spots, all good. I obviously hope it works out well for the Reds.
    You still didn't answer the question (which OFer?) but that's fine. I just find most of your reasoning for the Okey dislike rather convoluted. But you prefer Murphy, I get that.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

There was no way in this world he was going back to college as a senior and turning down $1.5M, IMO.
    The Reds obviously disagreed with you.

They of course had a host of information available to them relating to t is subject, including directly with Okey.

You really have nothing more than what you would do in that situation.

I gotta think the Reds had a better grasp of the situation.

Any chance this guy sees Dayton this year? I know he's young, holding his own in Billings.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Old school 1983 View Post
    Any chance this guy sees Dayton this year? I know he's young, holding his own in Billings.
    Next to no chance.

Jesse Winker tore through Billings, hitting .338 with some power and he stayed in Billings all year. I don't recall the Reds pushing anyone directly from high school into Dayton until their first full season. Can't imagine they are going to start now.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    The Reds obviously disagreed with you.

They of course had a host of information available to them relating to t is subject, including directly with Okey.

You really have nothing more than what you would do in that situation.

I gotta think the Reds had a better grasp of the situation.
    Did the Reds have a better grasp on the Alfredo Rodriguez situation? Were they smarter because they paid more than 2x of what was necessary for a prospect of that stature (at least according to...everyone?)

I ask that rhetorically not trying to derail the thread, but I do not think this regime has mastered the art of negotiating with and signing amateur talent. Rodriguez and Okey are two meaningful examples (although I'm nowhere near as annoyed about Okey's signing bonus).
    Go BLUE!!!

Taylor Trammell has three consecutive multi-hit games, and four in the last five games, and has walked seven times compared to seven strikeouts in his last seven games. His slash line through his first 193 career plate appearances sits at .299/.371/.384. Not bad for an 18-year old two sport star who is just now starting to focus on baseball only. After collecting only four extra-base hits in his first 31 career games (117 AB), he has eight XBH in his last 17 games, spanning 60 at bats. At 6-foot-2, 195 pounds, he should have room to develop average power at least. He won't move as fast as Senzel, but his upside is quite high.

20. Likes:

Griffey012 (08-21-2016),Redeyecat (08-22-2016),REDREAD (08-22-2016),RiverRat13 (08-21-2016),Tom Servo (08-21-2016),WrongVerb (08-21-2016)

Turn Off Ads?