Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: UEFA Champions League

UEFA Champions League

We've got a decent number of soccer fans around here and I figured I wasn't alone in following the action.

Bayern Munich, Liverpool, PSV Eindhoven and Valencia are already through to the round of 16. Barring a complete collapse, Chelsea and Roma will be there too. That leaves defending champs Barcelona needing a win against Werder Bremen to advance out of Group B and Inter Milan and Sporting Lisbon vying for the final spot in Group C.

Liverpool's looking particularly strong these days as Luis Garcia has elevated his game to a new level (the man may just have had his best week ever). PSV's been dominating its opponents as well. Those two meet again with first place in the group up for grabs and it could be the best match of the group stages (though I imagine Real Madrid is aching for some revenge against Lyon too).

Anyway, I'm curious to see which clubs people think can win this year and who's rooting for which teams.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: UEFA Champions League

I'm an Arsenal supporter so I don't want to talk about it.

In all seriousness I also like Liverpool, even though I know that's a mortal sin for a Gunner. I grew up cheering for the Reds but have since converted because of my London connections. Liverpool looks mighty strong this year, and until someone else shows otherwise I tab them as favorites.

I think Lyon or Chelsea win. I know it's not going out on a limb really, but Lyon is just incredible.

Michael Essein and Didier Drogba are just out of their minds right now. If Cech comes back to form they are going to be very tough to beat.

I'm rooting for Man U.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Its still early in the season and the draw for the next round will be interesting. I'm a REDS supporter and they have always managed to play well in the cups. They seem to lack consistency in the day in day out grind of the premiership.

Roma's got a lot of talent, but can't seem to put it together this year...even in league play.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I think Lyon or Chelsea win. I know it's not going out on a limb really, but Lyon is just incredible.

Michael Essein and Didier Drogba are just out of their minds right now. If Cech comes back to form they are going to be very tough to beat.

I'm rooting for Man U.
    It doesn't sound like Cech is going to be back anytime remotely soon.

Chelsea is still my pick. They're nowhere close to forming the cohesion that I think they'll eventually achieve but they've got the ability to get by on raw talent and individual brilliance until they do.

If Lyon hadn't recently lost Fred for the season, I'd say they were the hands-down favorites. They're probably the best defensive team in the competition (midfielder Jeremy Toulalan is one man brick wall).

I'm a Real fan and they seem to have found the right combination with a 4-3-3. Helguera's clicked with Cannivaro in the central defense. Sergio Ramos and Roberto Carlos are gifted outer backs. Diarra, Emerson and Guti form solid midfield and Raul, Robinho and Ruud (van Nistlerooy) can attack with the best of them. Basically, benching David Beckham was exactly what the team needed. It doesn't hurt that Iker Casillas is one of the best keepers on the planet.

Though I keep thinking Arsenal's going deep into the tournament too. If Rosicky can mesh with Cesc, Gilberto and Hleb, that's a formidable midfield. Hell, their bench could make the round of 16.

I have no idea what the record is for missing open nets, but Arsenal looks to be well on its way in today's game.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I have no idea what the record is for missing open nets, but Arsenal looks to be well on its way in today's game.
    That's how you lose, you own the other teams half and they have one good corner and end up beating you. Then your next match is in a blizzard in Poland.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'm a Real fan and they seem to have found the right combination with a 4-3-3. Helguera's clicked with Cannivaro in the central defense. Sergio Ramos and Roberto Carlos are gifted outer backs. Diarra, Emerson and Guti form solid midfield and Raul, Robinho and Ruud (van Nistlerooy) can attack with the best of them. Basically, benching David Beckham was exactly what the team needed. It doesn't hurt that Iker Casillas is one of the best keepers on the planet.
    I'm a Real fan, too. I wonder what has happened to Becks since last spring. At the end of last season, he was running his legs off while the other vets on the team were mailing it in. In the World Cup and this Spanish season, he has looked old and lethargic.

The teams I'm pulling for, in no particular order:

Liverpool and Arsenal - From my earlier foray into picking an EPL team to follow, these are two of the teams I've felt drawn to.

Bayern Munich - Lived down the road from Munich in Salzburg, Austria for a while. Munich is my favorite German city.

Celtic - Mom's family is Clan MacAllister. Gotta root for the Hoops.

I'd also like to see an underdog like AEK Athens make it through.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Celtic just took a 1-0 lead late against Man U. Huge upset if it holds.

I don't quite understand Wayne Rooney right now. One moment he's the best striker in the world, the next he is just tentative.

Kills me.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Huge penalty shot save for Celtic in the 88th minute.

And a stadium full of Scotsmen breaks out into song.

Even if you don't like soccer, you've got to love the fans. The spent the last four minutes of the game going crazy after the save by Boruc too. Imagine that. One play and everyone in the stadium is celebrating it for four full minutes.

Turn Off Ads?