Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    - Starbucks.
    - "Green".
    - Star Wars Episodes 1-3.
    - The Rolling Stones.
    - Football coverage (not football itself...just how it's covered.)
    - Lobster. It's OK but I don't go ga-ga over it like some do.
    - Gotta go along with *BaseClogger* on ESPN/SportsCenter
    The Stones? Seriously?

Lobster? Seriously?

Of course, I can't really argue with anyone that has Starbucks at the top of their list.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    ESPN/SportsCenter
    I agree, yet when I have time to watch TV, why do I find myself turning it on? It's not the personalities that bother me so much (as it is for some people), it's the stupid product extensions that get in the way of the sports coverage:

The ESPYs

Title Town: Who T F cares?

"Who's Now"? That was the most painful of all. Celebrating celebrity, as opposed to merit.

---

Most overrated: Eric Clapton.
    Stick to your guns.

Blogs ... so many bad ones that it's tough to find the few gems out there.

Celebrities ... don't care about their politics, don't care if they have babies with odd names, don't care if they're in rehab.

Media hype ... everything is either going to kill you or break you. Somewhere along the line the media stopped covering the news and tried to become a paranoid parent.
    Last edited by NJReds; 07-26-2008 at 11:41 AM.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Media hype ... everything is either going to kill you or break you. Somewhere along the line the media stopped covering the news and tried to become a paranoid parent.
    That's a simple one to explain. Those stories are cheap and easy to produce. They really don't have to do any work, they don't have to pay correspondents, and they don't really have to ruffle any feathers.

In a way, this is where ESPN and the Olympics fail. They think that people watch sports because of the fluff stories. Yes, the Josh Hamilton story is great and adds some great color to the game, but the only reason people care about Hamilton is because he can destroy a hanging curve ball. If he were just some random junkie who cleaned himself up, we wouldn't bat an eyebrow.

I love the games, I love the competition, and I love to gain some insight into the game I am watching. The only show that gives you that is NFL Match-up. But, in the end, it it easier to cover the Brett Favre, Clemens, Bonds, TO, Chad Johnson, or A-Rod than it is to analyze game tape and give us insight. So, we get Entertainment Tonight Sports Edition. Sad.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Derek Jeter...yeah, he has the rings, but when a guy like Iwamura from the Rays is putting up similar numbers and Jeter is "still so great" I have to question it. Yanks/Red Sox also overrated. Graeter's ice cream...they should call it Greater's because it's greater than anyone else. Red Lobster...having going to the east coast, it just flat out sucks.

Some other overrated things:
    1) Hot Wings - So, I really want to each the worst part of the chicken, get very little meat, and drown myself in vinegar. I think I'll pass.
    2) Ranch Dressing - Trivia Question - How can a salad cause a heart attack?
    3) Euchre - Play two tricks, throw in your cards, play two tricks, throw in your cards...rinse and repeat
    4) Montgomery Inn
    5) Any Stallone Movie
    6) The Wiggles - I'm not a fan of kids shows that star adults...kind of creepy
    7) Gas Grills - Messy and no charcoal flavor
    8) Ben Stiller
    9) Adam Sandler
    10) 1980's nostalgia - it wasn't that great guys...
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    I'm not sure how Sportscenter can be overrated when a growing population of people say they don't enjoy the show. Respected media members, ESPNs Ombudsman, regular joes. At some point the term "overrated" ceases to apply.

At the top of my list are hipsters. The clothes they wear, the bands they listen to that no one knows about, art in their condo, the desperate need to be in a WiFi zone even when not conducting business, must be the first to have and dump the latest gadgets...what does all of that really get you? What am I missing out on?
    Are SportsCenter's ratings down? Sure, some groups don't watch, but trust me, there is still a huge draw amongst young people. It's like the show has some kind of power over people...

Family Guy

Senor Votto

The Godfather
    Titantic
    Basketball
    College Sports
    Yanks vs Red Sox
    Cubs
    Patriots
    David Beckham
    McDonalds
    Cell Phones
    Rap music

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

7) Gas Grills - Messy and no charcoal flavor
    Could not disagree with you more here. You can control the temperature, and anything cooked over an open flame will taste delicious if you season it right.

Has anyone mentioned Miley Cyrus? I don't get it at all.

Others:

Derek Jeter
    Mike Lowell
    Eli Manning
    M. Night Shamalyan
    Applebee's
    Chili's

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    Could not disagree with you more here. You can control the temperature, and anything cooked over an open flame will taste delicious if you season it right.

Has anyone mentioned Miley Cyrus? I don't get it at all.

Others:

Derek Jeter
    Mike Lowell
    Eli Manning
    M. Night Shamalyan
    Applebee's
    Chili's
    I agree with Dom. (Is that a first?) Taste the meat not the heat! If you want that Charcoal flavor you can buy smoker boxes for your gas grills, or some grills come with smoker boxes built in. Who wants to mess with all the ash from a charcoal grill anyway? How do you city folk do it?

Applebee's is by far an away the most overratted restaurant that I know of. All of the food is pre processed crap, and the service is almost always lousy. The only thing they get right consistently is the temperature of the beer.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    3) Euchre - Play two tricks, throw in your cards, play two tricks, throw in your cards...rinse and repeat
    Strongly disagree. Euchre is an awesome game and your description doesn't do it justice. I mean, why not add "11.) Baseball - throw the ball, hit the ball, run, throw the ball, hit the ball, run...rinse and repeat"?

There's a lot more to both.

UFC/"pro" wrestling - So, you get a couple of grown men, grease them up, put them in a confined place and let them start hugging each other.
    Modern pop/country music - Seriously, besides the twang or lack of...what is the difference?
    Any fast food. Where is the taste? Where is the health value? And where is the value - 5 bucks is a great deal for a wafer thin burrito, taco and pop? Huh.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Oh dear, how can I forget the all-time most overrated thing in the world: Radiohead.

I don't care how many 5 star reviews RS throws at them, or how innovative they are.

You may think you're cool by liking them, but you don't really like it. You feel hip placing it on the counter, it sounds cool to talk about with people you just met, but it's just noise. Crappy noise. Just admit it and throw on a Backstreet Boys CD. Sure, it's cheesy, but at least it has a chorus, keyboards, guitars, drums and it's not a wasteland filled with things that sound like a violin being played with a tire iron.

Radiohead takes something wonderful like music, and turns it into an unbearable experience.

People thought it was a big deal that they released an album online.

Well if you wait a bit, you'll be able to buy it at garage sales nationwide.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Screwball View Post
    Strongly disagree. Euchre is an awesome game and your description doesn't do it justice. I mean, why not add "11.) Baseball - throw the ball, hit the ball, run, throw the ball, hit the ball, run...rinse and repeat"?

There's a lot more to both.
    I agree. I like the more complex games too like bridge and even spades. But Euchre is quicker, and a fun to play with family.

Euchre is to wiffle ball as bridge is to baseball. All good times.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?