Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 62 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Ohio State Football 2013

Re: Ohio State Football 2013

The Iowa TE is faster than the CB that replaced Roby... Yikes.

2. Turn Off Ads?

This team has to find a way to play a complete game. They are getting away with it because of who they are playing and the pieces are there, but a performance like today's isn't good enough.

Terrible first half, good second half.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Football is a total joke. That wasn't even a penalty on Roby and he gets ejected? Completely livid right now. That stupid rule needs to be elimated by next Saturday.
    I respectfully disagree with you on this one 27. There was no need for Roby to lay that kind of hit on him (above the numbers). That kid could have been seriously hurt. When I see any player lay a hit like that on the opposition, IMO, the intent is to hurt them.

And Roby is lucky he didn't get called a couple plays earlier, when he drove the player out of bounds, on a helmet to helmet hit.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsdale87 View Post
    Doesn't look like the defense got any better over the bye week. I think they've run a bootleg pass to a TE about 5 times so far. No adjustments
    I've questioned OSU's (Fickell's) defense all season. Iowa didn't have their first punt until somewhere around the first half's two minute warning. And they were basically running the ball at will on OSU.

The D played better in the second half - and yes, they were without Roby - but still, not impressed.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

7. Likes:

joshua (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I respectfully disagree with you on this one 27. There was no need for Roby to lay that kind of hit on him (above the numbers). That kid could have been seriously hurt. When I see any player lay a hit like that on the opposition, IMO, the intent is to hurt them.

And Roby is lucky he didn't get called a couple plays earlier, when he drove the player out of bounds, on a helmet to helmet hit.
    If you are a reciever coming over the middle you are going to get hit. Roby should be wasting that guy and trying to knock the ball out. That hit wasn't even in the helmet. It was a bad call and a bad rule that should be eliminated.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    If you are a reciever coming over the middle you are going to get hit. Roby should be wasting that guy and trying to knock the ball out. That hit wasn't even in the helmet. It was a bad call and a bad rule that should be eliminated.
    It sure looked like helmet-to-helmet to me. We can debate the merits of the rule, but I think that was a pretty clear cut ejection. They want defenders going after the numbers and not the head.
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    It sure looked like helmet-to-helmet to me. We can debate the merits of the rule, but I think that was a pretty clear cut ejection. They want defenders going after the numbers and not the head.
    I think the problem with the rule is that the definition of defenseless is vague. I've seen several over the middle hits that seem text book violations of the rule but are also text book "clean" plays and weren't called.

I'm a fan of protecting the noggins of players (the defender puts himself at risk too by launching). I'm willing to trust the replay booth concerning ejections until it's clear that the rule is absolutely untenable in its application.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

11. Likes:

joshua (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    All that is going to happen is guys are going to start going low and blowing out knees. I don't debate the intention of the rule, but it isn't a good rule the way it is now.

That play is a good example because Roby didn't lead with his head, he led with his sholder, hit a much taller player above the numbers and the face mask only made contact with Roby's helmet after initial contact was made. How is the defensive player going to avoid that? If that is the type of play that is included in the targeting rule than I say again it is a bad rule that needs to be eliminated.

13. Likes:

joshua (11-01-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The D played better in the second half - and yes, they were without Roby - but still, not impressed.
    The D only looked better because the offense played better and held onto the ball, knocking Iowa out of rhythm. As soon as Iowa abandoned the run the game was over, but the credit for this should not go to the D IMO...

The safety rules make perfect sense. The only problem is that they are penalizing things that can happen without malicious intent and treating it as if its malicious intent.

Here's a thought: coaches, teach your players good tackling technique, which is going to be a hit at the hips or lower, and then you don't have to put the ref in the position of interpreting a high hit rule. Guys trying to "blow somebody up" so they can make the ESPN top 10 plays would fall by the way side.

As for Roby, he has got to be the worst shut down corner the Buckeyes have had in years. All he did by staying in school was drop his draft status.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

16. Likes:

LoganBuck (10-21-2013),sonny (10-21-2013)

Michigan and Michigan State this week. Just curious who Ohio State fans root for this year. I would assume Michigan State because that would be a stronger Big Ten Championship game bump for OSU. I know Michigan is the big rivalry game and having them week before with only one loss might be appealing but having watched them both I think Michigan State has stronger resume. As a ND fan I want MSU just because we beat them and that strengthens them.

Just curious
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Michigan and Michigan State this week. Just curious who Ohio State fans root for this year. I would assume Michigan State because that would be a stronger Big Ten Championship game bump for OSU. I know Michigan is the big rivalry game and having them week before with only one loss might be appealing but having watched them both I think Michigan State has stronger resume. As a ND fan I want MSU just because we beat them and that strengthens them.

Just curious
    To be fair I never "root" for Michigan, but I certainly want Michigan State this year. Only real chance to have a highly rated team on the schedule the rest of the year and I think it would be a good test. That defense is legit.

Go Spartans!

Sparty. As much as I'd love to beat up on UM in back to back weeks, rematches are always tough. We'd be better off playing each team only once, with Sparty coming in with 1 loss to make it look good.
    Is it "next season" yet?

21. Likes:

LoganBuck (11-02-2013)

Turn Off Ads?