Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Most Overrated

Re: Most Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Backyard burgers. What do people see in a singed meatball on too-chunky bun.

Fastfood has it right -- a flat burger on a bun that fits. The idea is to get a mouthful of everything -- burger, bun, condiments, lettuce, tomato, etc.... -- in every bite.

They also get fries right. Small fries give you a great ratio of golden, delicious surface to bland starchiness. Those awful big planky fries? Those are for seagulls.
    I had a burger and fries at Ruth's Chris during happy hour (aka the only time I can afford the place). They get it right if you've never had one.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    As a man who suffers from kidney stone disease (I've had them 13 different times) I have to agree. I've tried every "cure" and diet change and none of that **** works. Shots of vinegar every day, whole lemons squeezed into water every day, avoiding nealy every food you can think of...the only thing that's slows down their formation for me is drinking two gallons of water a day. That's it.

As for overrated stuff

The NFL

The Beatles

Cable News/politics (they're all equally full of it. I think all these bastards work together)

Facebook

Frisch's

Logan's Steakhouse

And I agree with everyone in this thread who says Radiohead is overrated. I remember reading an interview where Thom Yorke was talking crap about his fan base when they wanted him to sing a particular song live because he doesn't think they "get it" since the song is so "painful" for him. That is the ultimate example of being a pretentious *****. God forbid your fans, who are the sole reason you are millionaires, want to see you perform a song they enjoy. Before that moment I would probably say they just aren't my style, now its pretty obvious to me that they are being arty and weird for the sake of it. What a load a crap.
    That is factually incorrect, and the interview in which you are referring to is not Thom Yorke "talking crap" about the fan base. He was referring to the song Street Spirit and the fact that it was bizarre to him to see crowds of people excited and happy to hear the song, when only he knew (having wrote it) just how dark it was.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    Family Guy. Started off funny, but became full of its trendy self. It's given in to nihilism. South Park has an actual pov, but FG has all the cutting edge humor of a seventh grader.
    Really? Family Guy started as a pale Simpsons rip off then became pretty dam funny. South Park was and is witless.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

South Park and Family Guy are both fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    Really? Family Guy started as a pale Simpsons rip off then became pretty dam funny. South Park was and is witless.
    Different strokes for different folks. I personally love Family Guy (Stewie and Brian should have gotten the spin off IMO) and South Park (although more of passing interest).
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

To me, Family Guy just doesn't care about anything. That, and I'm not sure they've ever, at the core, told more than two jokes. I didn't like South Park at first, mostly because I have trouble understanding anything Cartman says, but a few outstanding episodes have made me reconsider. What other cartoon has featured an in character guest appearance by Cthulhu (on an episode that leant some pathos to Kenny's plight, nonetheless?)

But yeah, it's personal taste. I've found very few people who agree with me on this.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Quote Originally Posted by marcshoe View Post
    To me, Family Guy just doesn't care about anything.
    So you like the "moral of the story" endings of South Park? Ick.

Not really; stated morals tend to be suspect anyway. What I'm talking about is how that the highest value on Family Guy is the crass, juvenile laugh line.

fwiw, I'm not really a huge South Park fan. While I can name several intelligent, funny episode, there are also several that make me change channels immediately. I do have to give the show credit for showing some intelligence and not going after the lowest common denominator, though. Family Guy, not so much.
    It is on the whole probable that we continually dream, but that consciousness makes such a noise that we do not hear it. Carl Jung.

Beatles overrated?

Funniest thing ever typed

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    That is factually incorrect, and the interview in which you are referring to is not Thom Yorke "talking crap" about the fan base. He was referring to the song Street Spirit and the fact that it was bizarre to him to see crowds of people excited and happy to hear the song, when only he knew (having wrote it) just how dark it was.
    Radiohead is like an Atom Egoyan book.

Everyone raves, I can't get through it. And I've tried.

But there is hope: I used to hate Zeppelin and Bowie, now I can't get enough.

Thanks a lot, Bowie Kuhn Revering4Blue's Avatar

I'll get flamed for this... ACC Basketball.

Face it.. America's so-called "premier" College BBall Conference has been a two-team league for years and has been vastly overrated from a top-to-bottom standpoint.

That stated, a reinvigorated N.C State program along with the future additions of Syracuse and Notre Dame may well change that.
    Last edited by Revering4Blue; 10-22-2012 at 10:46 PM.
    Whatever you do, do your best to not allow the struggles of life to interfere with the pleasures of living.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Beatles overrated?

No kidding.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Revering4Blue View Post
    I'll get flamed for this... ACC Basketball.

Face it.. America's so-called "premier" College BBall Conference has been a two-team league for years and has been vastly overrated from a top-to-bottom standpoint.

That stated, a reinvigorated N.C State program along with the future additions of Syracuse and Notre Dame may well change that.
    You're kidding right? You think Tobacco Road will let Syracuse play the style that has made their program a premier one (read Big East basketball)? I don't see a BC style collapse from Syracuse but at the same time I don't see them being allowed to dominate over the Chosen Ones in Blue (UNC/Duke). Also nice slight of Pittsburgh but thats easy as they haven't done crap in the tourney in a number of years.

But alas I agree with you the ACC has fallen mightly and is only held up because Duke's allowed to flop around like a fish out of water come tournament time.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Beatles overrated?

I am with the OP. I simply don't get the appeal. Maybe it would make more sense if I grew up in the 60's, but I listen to them and I just can't keep listening. It isn't special, it doesn't "make my ears happy".

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I am with the OP. I simply don't get the appeal. Maybe it would make more sense if I grew up in the 60's, but I listen to them and I just can't keep listening. It isn't special, it doesn't "make my ears happy".
    They only redefined the genre twice, laid ground work for artists to write their own songs.

Isn't special?

I guess you could say that.

One thing for sure the Beatles are bigger than the 60's.

By October 1972, the Beatles’ worldwide sales total stood at 545 million units. To date The Beatles record sales are over 1 billion units worldwide.

Turn Off Ads?