Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Fantasy Football Championship

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Fantasy Football Championship

I have to tell you guys about this one.

So in my league, we play championship week in week 17. Stupid, but we do.

Every single one of my guys except for one was resting, or I suspected of resting: Brady, Moss, Benson, Grant, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates.

So I go to the waiver wire and pull this out, for my first championship:

Jay Cutler
    Arian Foster
    Jamaal Charles (my only true player)
    Jabar Gaffney
    Devin Areshevido or whatever his name is...
    Brent Celek (he was a bench player behind Gates)

Not only did I kill my opponent, I had the high score for the year with a bunch of scrubs.

How did you guys do?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Fantasy Football Championship

I lost by .4 points. Believe it or not my kicker missed an extra point. It was a miracle that I got in the playoffs so I am still happy.

Mr.Redlegs is my homeboy Eric_the_Red's Avatar

My worst fantasy year ever...highest I finished was a loss in the semis.

But, I did win both my Pick'Em league against the spread, and my survivor league.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Took 1st place in all 3 fantasy leagues I was in this year -- including one where my team started the year 1-6 and rallied back to make the playoffs at 6-7.

Sometimes it all just falls into place.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I have to tell you guys about this one.

So in my league, we play championship week in week 17. Stupid, but we do.

Every single one of my guys except for one was resting, or I suspected of resting: Brady, Moss, Benson, Grant, Vincent Jackson, Antonio Gates.

So I go to the waiver wire and pull this out, for my first championship:

Jay Cutler
    Arian Foster
    Jamaal Charles (my only true player)
    Jabar Gaffney
    Devin Areshevido or whatever his name is...
    Brent Celek (he was a bench player behind Gates)

Not only did I kill my opponent, I had the high score for the year with a bunch of scrubs.

How did you guys do?
    I wouldn't be proud of winning a league where any of Jamal Charles, Jay Cutler, Arian Foster or Brent Celek were on waivers at the end of the season.

That'd be equivalent to beating 1st graders in a race when you're a High School State Champion.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I wouldn't be proud of winning a league where any of Jamal Charles, Jay Cutler, Arian Foster or Brent Celek were on waivers at the end of the season.

That'd be equivalent to beating 1st graders in a race when you're a High School State Champion.
    He clearly states that Charles and Celek were on his team already. The only one I see that probably was on 75% of rosters is Cutler. If he added Devin, Arian, and Jabar that would not be unheard of in a fantasy league of 10 teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye33 View Post
    He clearly states that Charles and Celek were on his team already. The only one I see that probably was on 75% of rosters is Cutler. If he added Devin, Arian, and Jabar that would not be unheard of in a fantasy league of 10 teams.
    Well, then, I wouldn't be proud of winning a 10-team league where Jay Cutler AND Arian Foster were on waivers before Week 17. That's a very weak league, at best. It's a waste of time anyway to play in a 10-team league. There's no skill involved.

Potential Lunch Winner Dom Heffner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Well, then, I wouldn't be proud of winning a 10-team league where Jay Cutler AND Arian Foster were on waivers before Week 17. That's a very weak league, at best. It's a waste of time anyway to play in a 10-team league. There's no skill involved.
    I know you mentioned this thread in another thread, but I have to point out it's a 12 team league.

Cutler was on the waiver wire because up until that game against the Vikings he was terrible. He led the league in interceptions. He had fallen to #15 in our league, which means he wasn't a starter.

Arian Foster, on the other hand, had one good game in his entire life before that week, and he was a super risky play because Kubiak pulls pretty much anyone who fumbles. That's risky for a championship game.

Sorry you weren't impressed- I wasn't feeling too good about Cutler, Foster and Gaffney after the lineup I had that got me to the finals.

That waiver wire lineup was the high scoring lineup for the whole year in our league.

What's also funny is that Arian Foster wasn't even a factor until after the playoffs started, so he should have been on the waiver wire- what team int he finals needs a plug and play RB, other than a rest situation?
    Last edited by Dom Heffner; 01-24-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Heffner View Post
    I know you mentioned this thread in another thread, but I have to point out it's a 12 team league.

Cutler was on the waiver wire because up until that game against the Vikings he was terrible. He led the league in interceptions. He had fallen to #15 in our league, which means he wasn't a starter.

Arian Foster, on the other hand, had one good game in his entire life before that week, and he was a super risky play because Kubiak pulls pretty much anyone who fumbles. That's risky for a championship game.

Sorry you weren't impressed- I wasn't feeling too good about Cutler, Foster and Gaffney after the lineup I had that got me to the finals.

That waiver wire lineup was the high scoring lineup for the whole year in our league.

What's also funny is that Arian Foster wasn't even a factor until after the playoffs started, so he should have been on the waiver wire- what team int he finals needs a plug and play RB, other than a rest situation?
    We did have some things in common. My Championship Week Lineup (but I had Cutler on my team for the last half of the season after trading for him (looking ahead to Championship Week, Week 17); a bad trade at the time, but it paid off in Week 17 as I traded Ricky Williams (the week before Ronnie Brown got hurt, Donovan McNabb (who'd been unhealthy and Westbrook had problems), and LT (right when he was starting to score his touchdowns). I really thought Cutler would start doing better sooner, but he worked out for me in the end.

Cutler, Jay CHI QB.................35.540
    Mendenhall, Rashard PIT RB.....12.500
    Rice, Ray BAL RB....................10.900
    Gaffney, Jabar DEN WR............28.300
    Mason, Derrick BAL WR.............2.800
    Sims-Walker, Mike JAC WR........3.800
    Miller, Zach OAK TE................13.300
    Bironas, Rob TEN PK.................6.000
    Bears, Chicago CHI Def.............6.000
    Starter Total:.........................119.14
    Potential Points:....................126.94
    Efficiency Rating: 93.9%

Non-Starters
    Garrard, David JAC QB..............24.080
    Smith, Alex SFO QB.................14.980
    Forsett, Justin SEA RB...............9.800
    Collie, Austin IND WR.................2.000
    Jennings, Greg GBP WR..............4.400
    Thomas, Mike JAC WR...............10.000
    Gates, Antonio SDC TE...............7.700
    Graham, Daniel DEN TE...............4.900
    Non-Starter Total:...................77.860

Like you, I won because I picked up Gaffney. I hate Week 17 Championship Games, as we had never done it before and I hope we never do it again. I had to sit Gates, Austin Collie and Greg Jennings. I had to pick up Zach Miller, too. I had been riding Alex Smith at QB for about 6 weeks and getting great production out of him. Rice and Mendenhall had weak Week 17 games for me, but I held on for a 7-point win. It was also a 12-Team Keeper League, that I wish could get to 14, but that probably won't happen. It's the 3rd Season of the league, and I won the 1st year and finished 2nd last year.

I made a big mistake, though. I traded Chris Johnson away for Rashard Mendenhall the week before both LenDale White was removed from Goal-line duties and Vince Young took over at Quarterback. Up to that time, Chris Johnson was only getting 11% of the Redzone carries with White getting most of the rest. Johnson was also a keeper of mine and I had only 2 more years to keep him after that. With Mendenhall, I'll have 3 more years to keep him and he had just been annointed the 3rd-down back and already had goal-line duties. I was looking for more consistency at the time instead of the up-mostly-down games of Chris Johnson the first 5 games of the year (and all of last year, too.) I also thought that with Vince Young at QB, opposing teams could play closer to the line of scrimmage and that would effect Chris Johnson. In the end it all worked out as I won the league, but, of course, I'd rather have Chris Johnson for the next two seasons, than Mendenhall for the next 3 seasons (before both have to go back into the pool, as there's a 4-year limit of having a Keeper. You only get two keepers in this league and can't keep anyone who was originally a 3rd through 5th round draft pick). I also won't get to keep Ray Rice this year as he was a 5th Round pick, a player that I had last year and chose to put him back into the pool and try to re-draft (I kept Pierre Thomas instead, who was a bust this year, as he was constantly injured and would get TD's vultured by Mike Bell.) I'll keep Mendenhall, for sure, and probably Forsett.

Now you can laugh at me.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 01-24-2010 at 10:46 PM.

Turn Off Ads?