Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jays name Royce Clayton starting shortstop

Jays name Royce Clayton starting shortstop

I'm glad I'm not a Blue Jay fan.

http://toronto.bluejays.mlb.com/news...=.jsp&c_id=tor

SARASOTA, Fla. -- Royce Clayton is penciled in as Toronto's starting shortstop. The Blue Jays were just a little hesistant to say as much when they signed him over the winter.

"There's a good chance he's the everyday shortstop," Toronto manager John Gibbons said Monday, his tone suggesting that the decision was made months ago.

Shortly after inking Clayton to a one-year deal worth $1.5 million in November, Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi said that the Jays might consider using a "two- or three-headed monster" at shortstop. Since then, though, Toronto has decided to hand the everyday job soley to Clayton, who has played in at least 133 games in nine of the past 10 seasons.

"We thought when we signed him he was going to have a chance to play a lot," Ricciardi said. "Gibby's comfortable with him being out there. He brings a lot more stability to our team and that's the way we're going to start."

The way things line up behind the 37-year-old Clayton on the depth chart remains a little hazy, though. Toronto has room to carry two infielders on its bench, but three players are currently in the mix for jobs.

One of the leading candidates would be veteran infielder John McDonald, who started 76 games at short last season for the Jays and is under contract for $750,000. Gibbons wanted to quash any notions that McDonald's status with the team was in jeopardy, though.

"Johnny Mac is a part of this," Gibbons said. "He's a good addition for us. He's helped us in the past, and we have a spot to carry two extra infielders."

Up for a job as an additional utility player is Jason Smith, who Toronto picked up from the Cubs in December's Rule 5 Draft. Smith can play all four infield positions and he would provide a left-handed bat off the bench. The Jays have to keep Smith on their 25-man roster this season. Otherwise, Toronto would have to return the 29-year-old infielder to Chicago.

"If we like him, we'd be crazy to give him back," Gibbons said.

The Blue Jays are also taking a good look this spring at infielder Ray Olmedo, who was claimed off waivers from the Reds in January. Olmedo is a switch-hitter and Toronto has been impressed with his defense.

"I think all of them are in competition with each other, said Ricciardi, referring to McDonald, Smith and Olmedo. "We've got to make our team the best team we can make it, and we'll see which ones give us the best advantage."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Jays name Royce Clayton starting shortstop

Clayton playing SS on an artificial surface?

Why not just lay a giant white flag at the SS position?

J.P. Ricciardi might just be the anti-Billy Beane.

In related news, Blue Jays management put out a press release asking fans to spend all their disposable cash on the team during the season rather than save up for possible playoff tickets. Also Gibbons revealed that the franchise has determined Russ Adams lacks the arm to be a good peanut tosser and that he will be moved to working a set of Molson taps in the club seating level.
    Last edited by M2; 03-13-2007 at 12:40 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

ha

ha
    ha
    whew think i'm done ... boy I needed that.

Expressed graphically:

The Blue Jays "Plan"

I don't think Royce Clayton is as bad as everybody seems to. Ok, he's pretty bad. But he's probably one of the three worst starting shortstops in MLB as opposed to the worst. I'm trying really hard to be sincere here, and I do mean it, but somehow it's not coming across very well.

My mother likes Royce Clayton. This is because she likes to shout "Roll 'em, Royce!" when he does something good. I am not making this up.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

so will we have the Royce watch like we had the Kearns and Lopez watch

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    I don't think Royce Clayton is as bad as everybody seems to. Ok, he's pretty bad. But he's probably one of the three worst starting shortstops in MLB as opposed to the worst. I'm trying really hard to be sincere here, and I do mean it, but somehow it's not coming across very well.

My mother likes Royce Clayton. This is because she likes to shout "Roll 'em, Royce!" when he does something good. I am not making this up.
    This time last year, there was only one little thing that I liked about Royce Clayton's MLB playing career from 2000 season to the beginning of the 2006 season. That one little thing was up until that point, from 2000 to 2005, Royce Clayton had yet to put on a Cincinnati Reds uniform.

That's no longer the case anymore. By this point, there are exactly zero things I like about Royce Clayton's MLB playing career since the 2000 season.

Not one single thing.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Senor Votto

How I envy the Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    This time last year, there was only one little thing that I liked about Royce Clayton's MLB playing career from 2000 season to the beginning of the 2006 season. That one little thing was up until that point, from 2000 to 2005, Royce Clayton had yet to put on a Cincinnati Reds uniform.

That's no longer the case anymore. By this point, there are exactly zero things I like about Royce Clayton's MLB playing career since the 2000 season.

Not one single thing.
    He was in the Rookie. He struck out too.

does that count?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post

Not one single thing.
    I used to like his hair, but he shaved that off.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    I used to like his hair, but he shaved that off.
    I liked the Dreadlocks myself. Made him look younger. Oh well. Maybe if he grew a goatee with a little grey in it I could root for him again.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    How I envy the Jays
    Well, Clayton's pretty bad, but if they're lucky health-wise, that's a pretty good overall team.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Well, Clayton's pretty bad
    I was just joking I don't want to see Clayton in Cincy ever again unless he's on the opposing team.

Good Lord. It's decisions like these that make every baseball fan with internet access think he/she could be a major league GM.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

I say send them Cormier

Turn Off Ads?