Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How is David Weathers still in MLB?

Re: How is David Weathers still in MLB?

Quote Originally Posted by tommycash View Post
    Stats can be a bit deceiving in this case. (Just a bit). On June 25 Weathers came in and blew a save without giving up any ER at all. He just came in and allowed 4 hits. But it you only look at a relievers ERA, instead of taking into effect that people actually watch games and see batters hit Weathers hard, you may come up with an assumption that because Weathers hasn't given up a run in a while means that he is actually getting better. Weathers is a lifetime mediocre reliever who has happened to have a couple of better than average (for him) seasons with the Reds. I see him as a 41 year old man who will never have a end of season sub 4 ERA anymore because he simply gives up too many hits (guys are hitting .288 against him this year). If batters continue to hit that against him (and if you watch Weathers play this year you know they will), his ERA will go up and numbers only guys will turn on him too.
    Sometimes stats can overlook nuances. Even so, ignoring stats in many cases means you depend on inaccurate prejudices or incorrect assumptions.

Weathers managed to blow a save without giving up a run, but he's only blown 2 all year. His lifetime stats and age aside, lately he has been an extremely reliable reliever who has done what he's supposed to do as a reliever, and doing it better than almost any other pitcher in the bullpen.

Weather's isn't a long-term solution for the Reds and I'm sure he knows it. But if he were to continue to pitch this well for the rest of the year, he will be an incredible asset to the team. The OP said Weathers doesn't belong in baseball. His accomplishments as of late show that he does.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by durl View Post
    Sometimes stats can overlook nuances. Even so, ignoring stats in many cases means you depend on inaccurate prejudices or incorrect assumptions.

Weathers managed to blow a save without giving up a run, but he's only blown 2 all year. His lifetime stats and age aside, lately he has been an extremely reliable reliever who has done what he's supposed to do as a reliever, and doing it better than almost any other pitcher in the bullpen.

Weather's isn't a long-term solution for the Reds and I'm sure he knows it. But if he were to continue to pitch this well for the rest of the year, he will be an incredible asset to the team. The OP said Weathers doesn't belong in baseball. His accomplishments as of late show that he does.
    Wow! Some people are easy to please. Anyone happy with Weathers is obviously a relative of his.

Yep. I'm easy to please. I'm one of those crazy guys who thinks a 1.93 ERA for the month of June is good. And a reliever who allows less that 10% of inherited runners to score for a month? I'm just wacky enough to think that's a good thing.

It's obvious you pick a player a day to bash regardless of their positive contributions.

I don't think I can overlook how many hits he gives up. Thanks for the last 3 seasons, but I think it is time for him to go elsewhere.
    Jack Eliot: I'm a World Series MVP!
    Skip: That was four years ago, Jack. Last season, you hit .235.
    Jack Eliot: LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!

---Mr. Baseball 1992

Yep. I'm easy to please. I'm one of those crazy guys who thinks a 1.93 ERA for the month of June is good. And a reliever who allows less that 10% of inherited runners to score for a month? I'm just wacky enough to think that's a good thing.

It's obvious you pick a player a day to bash regardless of their positive contributions.
    Nope. I just tell it like it is. I don't wear rosey-red colored glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    It's one thing to "tell it like it is" and another to, on a daily basis, come up with ways to demean every person who works with the Reds organization. I believe everyone should express their opinion, but I would hope that it would be grounded in fact and tactfully expressed.

I'm one of those crazy guys that looks at the whole season instead of a short stint he's had recently, and see's a .370 opp. BA, and that was before he got torched. David Weathers is chasing Ted Williams!!

Quote Originally Posted by 44Magnum View Post
    44Magnum should just go ahead and change his/her name to Debie Downer and get it over with

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    I'm one of those crazy guys that looks at the whole season instead of a short stint he's had recently, and see's a .370 opp. BA, and that was before he got torched. David Weathers is chasing Ted Williams!!
    I'm with you...partially. I think we should look at several factors together in order to get the best idea of a player's potential. We can look at the past 2-3 seasons, the current year, and the current month. The past 2-3 years give us an idea of their overall performance. The current year gives us a more recent trend, and the current month shows a what type of rhythm they may be in.

Do I believe that Weathers can have a season ERA of 1.90 based upon his last month? No, because his longer trend shows me otherwise. Still, if a guy is pitching well over the course of 4-5 weeks, that shows me that he's in a groove and I'll stick with it while I can.

Batters are hitting .288 against him this year but I can also look back and see that in the previous 4 seasons, they hit .233, .226, .242, and .232 against him. The man saved 33 games last year at the age of 37. Certainly age is going to cause him to be less effective and Weathers is near the end of his playing days. Even so, I wonder if adjusting to his new role has been a factor on his diminished performance.

I don't believe Weathers is going to be very effective much longer and he's definitely on his way out. But he's also been more reliable that a lot of other relievers the Reds have put on the mound over the past few years.

Turn Off Ads?