Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Owings as PH Last 2 Days

Owings as PH Last 2 Days

Let me start with I'm no batting coach. So I wondered if anyone else noticed this over his last two pinch hitting attempts. Both of which pretty much were make or break the game.

Before each pitch, Owings stepped back and out with his lead leg. This opened him up to the pitcher and took him another 6-8 inches off the plate. Then his swing just looked like he was flailing, because of course he was.

I have never noticed before if this is just how he approaches each at bat or not. But I have to believe that it's a terrible approach to hitting. I was always told to step into the pitch or at least step straight ahead toward the mound.

This seems pretty obvious, and I noticed it right away on his first attempt. Then he comes up yesterday and does the same damn thing. I mean it was so obvious on every pitch. Step back and out then reach for the ball.

Am I the only one who see's this? Which brings me to BP and his folly uppercut swing while all his weight is on his back leg. Pop up every time.

Willy does this too. Everytime WT does this I think of Wille Mays Hays in Major League. It's the same damn thing. If I were Dusty, I'd make them both drop and give me 20 everytime they pull that crap. These are MLB players making millions. Learn the basics.

It makes me wonder whether these guys ever watch themselves on tape. I know we are told they do, but come on. This is simple stuff.

Am I just totally making it all easier than it is?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Owings as PH Last 2 Days

Owings always does that. It's not new. It probably needs to be fixed, but, afterall, he's a pitcher.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Owings always does that. It's not new. It probably needs to be fixed, but, afterall, he's a pitcher.
    Thanks for letting me know. It was driving me nuts yesterday.

He is a pitcher, but a pitcher who wants to hit and is used as a pinch hitter in important at bats. You would think Jakoby could at least bring it up once. I watched each pitch yesterday over and over. He takes himself out of the at bat with his approach. That tells me he is a very lucky hitter who could be a great hitter.
    Last edited by Red in Atl; 07-13-2009 at 11:15 AM.

Yep that just what he does. It generates a ton of power for him and he has a pretty good bat control considering.

I see the WT flare...I too would do something to make him hit it on the ground....Remember Juan Pierre with the Marlins? When he was just a young pup....hitting coach used to reward him with ground balls.....didnt matter if he made an out or a double play...if he hit it on the ground, he was rewarded. I cant remember what his reward was, it was minor, something like he got to bring his Playstation to the clubhouse or something small like that......But for a few seasons, JP was a infeild hitting singles machine. Make Willy learn to hit it down or send him down

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Yep that just what he does. It generates a ton of power for him and he has a pretty good bat control considering.
    Yes I was surprised when he was able to hit the ball back up the middle, unfortunately right at the pitcher.

These guys obviously know more than I do, so I will have to let it go. But it makes you wonder when you watch it live.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Yes I was surprised when he was able to hit the ball back up the middle, unfortunately right at the pitcher.

These guys obviously know more than I do, so I will have to let it go. But it makes you wonder when you watch it live.
    Its just a guy who doesnt hit a lot. He swings like that to get the most power he can, and he has the ability to control the bat so it works for the most part.

He cheats on fastballs, but still has the ability to hit the curve. Swing hard in case you hit it type guy but he actually does hit it.

Its just a guy who doesnt hit a lot. He swings like that to get the most power he can, and he has the ability to control the bat so it works for the most part.

He cheats on fastballs, but still has the ability to hit the curve. Swing hard in case you hit it type guy but he actually does hit it.
    This is probably the reason most people say Owings wouldn't hit as well if he played every day in the OF.Flaws like that are usually figured out by other teams and exploited.I wouldn't be surprised if they already have but like it has been said he still is a pitcher and I imagine that goes through the other guys head a little when he facing Owings.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    This is probably the reason most people say Owings wouldn't hit as well if he played every day in the OF.Flaws like that are usually figured out by other teams and exploited.I wouldn't be surprised if they already have but like it has been said he still is a pitcher and I imagine that goes through the other guys head a little when he facing Owings.
    Owings just has a ton of plate coverage.

Owings just has a ton of plate coverage.
    We're talking about his hitting here, not his pitching

5.3 Posts Abv Replacement BluegrassRedleg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    I see the WT flare...I too would do something to make him hit it on the ground....Remember Juan Pierre with the Marlins? When he was just a young pup....hitting coach used to reward him with ground balls.....didnt matter if he made an out or a double play...if he hit it on the ground, he was rewarded. I cant remember what his reward was, it was minor, something like he got to bring his Playstation to the clubhouse or something small like that......But for a few seasons, JP was a infeild hitting singles machine. Make Willy learn to hit it down or send him down
    What a shame that a professional needs to be rewarded not to stink.
    Rounding third and heading for home...

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassRedleg View Post
    What a shame that a professional needs to be rewarded not to stink.
    Can you imagine the real world operating this way? Or I should say small business instead of real world.

The corporate world happily pays their leaders well, even when they stink.

Quote Originally Posted by Red in Atl View Post
    Can you imagine the real world operating this way? Or I should say small business instead of real world.

The corporate world happily pays their leaders well, even when they stink.
    Wouldn't it be great if every player was paid the same and then given their astronomical salary's based on how they did their jobs?The competition that we would see on the field would be fierce every single night.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    Wouldn't it be great if every player was paid the same and then given their astronomical salary's based on how they did their jobs?The competition that we would see on the field would be fierce every single night.

I have been wanting to see this happen for a long time....give everyone 1 million base salary a year to play....Then reward them for their stats. Man Oh Man what a competetive game we could watch.....even when teams are out fo the hunt, they will still be trying to make some extra money.

Turn Off Ads?