Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Re: Free Agents Frenzy Starts here

Jim Bowden has an article up where he predicts final contracts for each FA. Relevant to the Reds:

Michael Bourn 5 years, $75MM
    BJ Upton 5 years, $70MM
    Nick Swisher 3 years, $33MM
    Torii Hunter 2 years, $20MM
    Kevin Youkilis, 2 years $18MM
    Ryan Ludwick, 2 years $13MM
    Jonathan Broxton 2 years, $13MM
    Ryan Madson 1 year, $7.5MM

Hypothetically, if the Reds could pay $15-$17MM on FA, who would you want?

I'd take one of Hunter/Ludwick/Youkilis - probably in that order, and Madson.

No thanks to Broxton at 2/$13M and a BIG no thanks to Bourn or Upton at those prices.

If the Reds are confident in Marshall or some other in-house option closing, or they want to keep Chapman in that role, I would also consider Swisher at 3 years and $33MM. He could play CF against RHP and LF against LHP, and move to LF permanently once Hamilton is ready. He is also a semi-local guy (WV native and OSU alumni).
    Last edited by Benihana; 11-06-2012 at 12:20 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    Jim Bowden has an article up where he predicts final contracts for each FA. Relevant to the Reds:

Michael Bourn 5 years, $75MM
    BJ Upton 5 years, $70MM
    Nick Swisher 3 years, $33MM
    Torii Hunter 2 years, $20MM
    Kevin Youkilis, 2 years $18MM
    Ryan Ludwick, 2 years $13MM
    Jonathan Broxton 2 years, $13MM
    Ryan Madson 1 year, $7.5MM

I'd take one of Hunter/Ludwick/Youkilis - probably in that order, and Madson.

No thanks to Broxton at 2/$13M and a BIG no thanks to Bourn or Upton at those prices.

If the Reds are confident in Marshall or some other in-house option closing, or they want to keep Chapman in that role, I would also consider Swisher at 3 years and $33MM. He could play CF against RHP and LF against LHP, and move to LF permanently once Hamilton is ready. He is also a semi-local guy (WV native and OSU alumni).
    I don't have a problem paying that to both Ludwick and Broxton. The only problem I have is it doesn't solve the CF problem. Could I get Victorino or Pagan for around $5M a year?

IMO getting a close is important for next year. It allows them to try Chapman at SP in spring training and if it doesn't work then it gives them one heck of a pen going into the season.

I would like Ludwick back but at what price. I think he proved his worth this season and proved that his bat can still play outside of the NL West.

CF is the tricky position because Hamilton looks to be the heir apparent soon. But the Reds need production out of the leadoff spot and Stubbs and Cozart aren't going to give that to you. If it can down to it I wouldn't be opposed to Pagan in CF with a move to LF when Hamilton is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I don't have a problem paying that to both Ludwick and Broxton. The only problem I have is it doesn't solve the CF problem. Could I get Victorino or Pagan for around $5M a year?

IMO getting a close is important for next year. It allows them to try Chapman at SP in spring training and if it doesn't work then it gives them one heck of a pen going into the season.

I would like Ludwick back but at what price. I think he proved his worth this season and proved that his bat can still play outside of the NL West.

CF is the tricky position because Hamilton looks to be the heir apparent soon. But the Reds need production out of the leadoff spot and Stubbs and Cozart aren't going to give that to you. If it can down to it I wouldn't be opposed to Pagan in CF with a move to LF when Hamilton is ready.

I was actually just thinking about who I WISH the reds would sign...

My list is Pagan for CF...BUT something tells me we are going to see Billy Ball in CF sooner rather than later, Broxton for CLOSER and Anibal Sanchez for the rotation...I would then trade any combo of Arroyo, Leake, Heissy and Stubbs for David Wright and move Chapman into the rotation while Todd Fraizer mans LF.l
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Jason Bay agrees with Mets on a deal to terminate his contract early and become a Free Agent:

link
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by MartyFan View Post
    I was actually just thinking about who I WISH the reds would sign...

My list is Pagan for CF...BUT something tells me we are going to see Billy Ball in CF sooner rather than later, Broxton for CLOSER and Anibal Sanchez for the rotation...I would then trade any combo of Arroyo, Leake, Heissy and Stubbs for David Wright and move Chapman into the rotation while Todd Fraizer mans LF.l
    Anibal Sanchez seems like that "under the radar" guy that everyone thinks they're going to be able to get with a not so huge contract, but, since everyone's thinking it, I suspect it's going to take a larger contract than everyone imagines.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    Anibal Sanchez seems like that "under the radar" guy that everyone thinks they're going to be able to get with a not so huge contract, but, since everyone's thinking it, I suspect it's going to take a larger contract than everyone imagines.
    I never think of the money on these things...If the Reds can give Joey and Brandon the kind of money they just did, there's more available or at least there better be to put a team around those two.

I think the game and salaries is shifting again to where even small market teams are going to put a huge chunk on the line with players...the Reds just happen to be the forefront of the business model.
    "Sometimes, it's not the sexiest moves that put you over the top," Krivsky said. "It's a series of transactions that help you get there."

Yeah, I wasn't really thinking in relation to the Reds in particular, I just expect him to end up with one of those contracts where everyone looks up and goes "Wow, Anibal Sanchez got that much for that many years?" because of stuff you see around.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Loved the thought of Swisher at one time, but since he and bourn both received qualifying offers, they're now off my list. A bit of a risk, but I'd consider 2 for $13M for Ludwick. I'd also think about Mason for a year at $7.5 (plus an option) if the medicos clear him and Price works him out. That's about $14M - I'd give Pagan (peferrably) or Victorino 2 yrs $10M. I'd also consider something (MiL) incentive-laden for Sizemore if they can determine he's healthy.

7.5 million is too much for me to pay Madson while he recovers from TJ.
    Too much of an unknown.
    [Phil ] Castellini celebrated the team's farm system and noted the team had promising prospects who would one day be great Reds -- and then joke then they'd be ex-Reds, saying "of course we're going to lose them". #SellTheTeamBob

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've always been a Torii Hunter fan. He'd also be a good culture fit - upbeat, plays hard.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Would you flip Bruce to left if Hunter signed?

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corkedbat View Post
    Loved the thought of Swisher at one time, but since he and bourn both received qualifying offers, they're now off my list. A bit of a risk, but I'd consider 2 for $13M for Ludwick. I'd also think about Mason for a year at $7.5 (plus an option) if the medicos clear him and Price works him out. That's about $14M - I'd give Pagan (peferrably) or Victorino 2 yrs $10M. I'd also consider something (MiL) incentive-laden for Sizemore if they can determine he's healthy.
    I think 2/13 for Ludwick is incredibly reasonable. Also, if Swisher only took 3 years as rumored, I think he would be very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Crumbley View Post
    Would you flip Bruce to left if Hunter signed?
    Nyet. The entire point of Hunter would be to play in an OF with Bruce.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Nyet. The entire point of Hunter would be to play in an OF with Bruce.
    I think he meant to move Bruce to left field and put Hunter in right.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    I think he meant to move Bruce to left field and put Hunter in right.
    Man, that was bad reading on my part. Sorry about that Crumbley.

I'd probably keep Bruce in RF,and I suspect Hunter would have no issue playing LF.

Turn Off Ads?