Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chris Buckley's list of players Reds are interested in with #12 pick

Re: Chris Buckley's list of players Reds are interested in with #12 pick

I think Bucksfan is exactly right. I bet you they even run it by Castellini as a formality.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    I would doubt that this is universal practice. Remember when Alonso was drafted? Walt knew him extremely well and discussed him at length with the media. It was apparent that Walt had very substantial input into that decision.

There are probably some years when the GM is indifferent. Perhaps if the Reds had the 25th pick, I could see Walt simply deferring.

But with a high first draft choice I think the buck stops with the GM, ownership expects the GM to be on top of it, and the GM ultimately has veto power to say no if he disagrees.
    Not to quibble, but what you detail here doesn't necessarily Jocketty had "substantial input." I would suggest that it may mean he was thoroughly briefed, enough that he could speak very easily about the pick. There is a difference there. Of course, that's not to say that a GM doesn't give any input. I find that doubtful, but WJ ultimately seems to leave the final decision to Buckley.
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    My two cents says it's:

Georgia Tech's RHP Deck McGuire
    I would be willing to bet that McGuire would be off the board by the time the Reds pick at 12...I would guess it'll be Wimmers, if he's still around

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    Not to quibble, but what you detail here doesn't necessarily Jocketty had "substantial input." I would suggest that it may mean he was thoroughly briefed, enough that he could speak very easily about the pick. There is a difference there. Of course, that's not to say that a GM doesn't give any input. I find that doubtful, but WJ ultimately seems to leave the final decision to Buckley.
    I recall watching Jocketty speak after the Alonso pick. He said, if I recall correctly, that he knew or had followed Alonso for many years. That he had personal knowledge of the player. Walt gave me the distinct impression that Yonder was "his guy" and that Walt was hands on in making that selection.

I'm sure there is an effort at consensus among Buckley, Jocketty, ownership, etc. But high first round draft choices are major decisions because they involve substantial bucks and they often have significant baseball impact. I just don't believe that Walt says "whatever you say, Chris" on these high choices.

As I've said before, I'm sure Walt doesn't get intimately involved with 10th round selections, Buckley obviously has a lot of power to control the draft. I just think the top pick is different.

Most importantly, given where the Reds are now, I hope they use the first pick for a college player who can contribute relatively soon. At pick 12, I don't see the Reds getting the most highly touted guy, so I'd err on somebody who can contribute in the next couple of years to build on the current team.
    Last edited by Kc61; 06-03-2010 at 10:44 AM.

I'd be surprised if all this stuff hasnt already been talked about with Walt and Bob. These guys know who they are picking in the 1st round already. Everything after is just going to get a quick pass up the chain of command.

Quote Originally Posted by Az. Reds Fan View Post
    I would be willing to bet that McGuire would be off the board by the time the Reds pick at 12...I would guess it'll be Wimmers, if he's still around

Everything I've seen is that he's around 7, true.

But, I think he slips past that.

Once a player starts slipping, then they can slip quite a bit.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    I can't see how Walt would have nothing to do with the first pick. I would bet that he gets involved in overall draft philosophy (organization is shallow in pitching, for example) and would probably need to sign off on the top pick, at a minimum. If Buckley wanted to take a non-once in a generation must draft first baseman, I would think that Walt would have to get involved.
    I doubt Jocketty has input on the draft philosophy. The scouting director was put in place (or in this case, kept in place) because he gets Jocketty's approval for his philosophy he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    Everything I've seen is that he's around 7, true.

But, I think he slips past that.

Once a player starts slipping, then they can slip quite a bit.
    No doubt, a player can certainly slip...There's been a lot of talk of McGuire going to the D'backs at #6, if he gets past them, he could fall to #12

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I doubt Jocketty has input on the draft philosophy. The scouting director was put in place (or in this case, kept in place) because he gets Jocketty's approval for his philosophy he had.
    Not sure I agree...the scouting director is in charge of assessing players, Jocketty is in charge of constructing the organization. If the organization is loaded with pitching and lacking in hitting, I would venture to guess that the GM will ensure that the scouting director is aware and look to fill in the needs. Not to say that Jocketty is shouting commands from the mountain and then closing the door, but my guess would be that the scouting director has his list of targets, then some sort of group or committee sits down and discusses pros and cons. Maybe the GM hates one guy's agent. Maybe the GM thinks the team needs pitching and wants to see a lean in that direction. Maybe the GM wants college guys because he wants dividends paid in the near term rather than the long term.

The scouts are paid to assess players and no doubt have a huge amount of input into the process. But they aren't paid to construct the overall organization. I can't see a top choice being made without the GM agreeing to it.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post

The scouts are paid to assess players and no doubt have a huge amount of input into the process. But they aren't paid to construct the overall organization. I can't see a top choice being made without the GM agreeing to it.
    Since Walt became GM, the Reds' first picks have been college guys, Alonso and Leake. I believe this is a direct result of Walt's current view about high draft choices.

In the four years previous, three were high schoolers and one college. I believe that O'Brien and Krivsky were both far more open to high school top draft choices.

We'll see about this year. I strongly suspect we'll have a college first pick. Again reflecting Walt's philosophy.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Since Walt became GM, the Reds' first picks have been college guys, Alonso and Leake. I believe this is a direct result of Walt's current view about high draft choices.

In the four years previous, three were high schoolers and one college. I believe that O'Brien and Krivsky were both far more open to high school top draft choices.

We'll see about this year. I strongly suspect we'll have a college first pick. Again reflecting Walt's philosophy.
    Chris Buckley, even back to his days in Toronto favored college guys. Since he took over for the Reds, here is how his breakdown is for HS/College in the first three rounds:
    College Players
    Drew Stubbs
    Sean Watson
    Chris Valaika
    Todd Frazier
    Zack Cozart
    Scott Carroll
    Yonder Alonso
    Zack Stewart
    Mike Leake
    Brad Boxberger
    Donnie Joseph

High School Players
    Devin Mesoraco
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Neftali Soto
    Billy Hamilton

That is 11 to 4 in the first 3 rounds since Buckley has been here, through multiple GM's. Three of those high school players came in the same year, 2007, when the Reds had 6 picks in the first three rounds as they also nabbed Frazier, Cozart and Scott Carroll in the first three rounds.

Chris Buckley, even back to his days in Toronto favored college guys. Since he took over for the Reds, here is how his breakdown is for HS/College in the first three rounds:
    College Players
    Drew Stubbs
    Sean Watson
    Chris Valaika
    Todd Frazier
    Zack Cozart
    Scott Carroll
    Yonder Alonso
    Zack Stewart
    Mike Leake
    Brad Boxberger
    Donnie Joseph

High School Players
    Devin Mesoraco
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Neftali Soto
    Billy Hamilton

That is 11 to 4 in the first 3 rounds since Buckley has been here, through multiple GM's. Three of those high school players came in the same year, 2007, when the Reds had 6 picks in the first three rounds as they also nabbed Frazier, Cozart and Scott Carroll in the first three rounds.
    Thanks Doug, that list really shows how well Buckley is doing in the draft, as very few of the above have yet to be a bust. I guess one could hope for bigger impact players, but it's still too early to tell, and oops, Mike Leake IS on that list, so...
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

From the Reds website:

First-round buzz
    The Reds have been linked to a few players in mock Drafts, including that of MLB.com's Mayo, which recently had them picking outfielder Bryce Brentz out of Middle Tennessee State. If he is still around, Georgia Tech pitcher Deck McGuire is someone the club likes, as is Univ. of Texas-Arlington outfielder Michael Choice. An intriguing possibility is Ohio State right-handed pitcher Alex Wimmers, a Cincinnati native who attended Moeller High School.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

College Players
    Drew Stubbs
    Sean Watson
    Chris Valaika
    Todd Frazier
    Zack Cozart
    Scott Carroll
    Yonder Alonso
    Zack Stewart
    Mike Leake
    Brad Boxberger
    Donnie Joseph

High School Players
    Devin Mesoraco
    Kyle Lotzkar
    Neftali Soto
    Billy Hamilton

Good round up doug. As mdccclxix pointed out, outside of injuries and Watson, that's a list that has so far panned out quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I find it wildly interesting that Brentz name has been linked to the Reds but the Reds didnt say anything about it.
    Last edited by GIDP; 06-03-2010 at 03:33 PM.

Turn Off Ads?