Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "What if" v. Playoff rotation

"What if" v. Playoff rotation

I was going to make this thread earlier today but never really got around to it.

What would your reds playoff rotation look like right now.

Id have to go:
    Cueto
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Wood if we needed a 4th starter.

If Leake is available Id probably put him in there instead of Wood. Also Volquez depends on how healthy the guy is.

I guess what I was really going for is who would you give the ball to if the playoffs started tomorrow and all the pitchers were rested.

What say you guys.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Johnny Cueto Fan

Re: "What if" v. Playoff rotation

Cueto would be my ace for sure. Arroyo and Volquez after.

1. Arroyo The guy gets it done in big games
    2. Cueto Arguably the best pitcher for the Reds this year, high pitch count would be a concern for the playoffs
    3. Leake If he's still availible he's the guy, pretty consistent all year
    4. Harang... JK Volquez, just because he's capable of completely shutting teams down

Depends on how Volquez finishes the season. I would love to have Leake involved, but who knows what will happen since he's on an inning count. I would go:

Cueto
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Leake

It's truly a debatable question. Bronson has the most postseason experience but its been 5 or 6 years since he tasted October. I believe Edinson has the best stuff and potential. Cueto has probably been the most consistent. Leake is arguably the most competitive and bulldog like. Depending on the opponent Travis Wood may be the best matchup. With all that said, if the playoffs started tomorrow I'd go
    Game 1 - Leake
    Game 2 - Cueto
    Game 3 - Volquez
    Game 4 - Arroyo

Bullpen would consist of Wood, Bailey, Chapman, Ondrusek, Masset, Rhodes, Cordero
    * If this is October I'd replace Masset with Isringhausen. Since I mentioned if the playoffs start tomorrow, Izzy isn't ready yet.
    Last edited by Eric the Red; 07-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.

I would acquire Zach Grienke and Place him in the 1st hole...

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    Depends on how Volquez finishes the season. I would love to have Leake involved, but who knows what will happen since he's on an inning count. I would go:

Cueto
    Arroyo
    Volquez
    Leake
    Ditto for me. Use Wood in bullpen to help get lefties out.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric the Red View Post
    It's truly a debatable question. Bronson has the most postseason experience but its been 5 or 6 years since he tasted October. I believe Edinson has the best stuff and potential. Cueto has probably been the most consistent. Leake is arguably the most competitive and bulldog like. Depending on the opponent Travis Wood may be the best matchup. With all that said, if the playoffs started tomorrow I'd go
    Game 1 - Leake
    Game 2 - Cueto
    Game 3 - Volquez
    Game 4 - Arroyo

Bullpen would consist of Wood, Bailey, Chapman, Ondrusek, Masset, Rhodes, Cordero
    * If this is October I'd replace Masset with Isringhausen. Since I mentioned if the playoffs start tomorrow, Izzy isn't ready yet.
    No way Arroyo isn't one of the top 2 pitchers in the playoff rotation.
    Last edited by bshall2105; 07-24-2010 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bshall2105 View Post
    No way Arroyo isn't one of the rop 2 pitchers in the playoff rotation.
    I should probably look up some stats but its Saturday night and I'm a little lazy so I'll just say that I don't trust Bronson as much as the other three against the playoff lineups of Atl, Phi, LA, or Col that we'll face in the Division series. When Bronson's control of strike zone is there, he is as good as we have. It's the inconsistency of his command that worries me.

For sure I'd go with Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez in that order for the first three games. At this point I'd much rather have Leake pitching in that 4th spot, but time could change my opinion on that. If Wood shows the consistency that Leake had over the first half over the first half of the season then I'd go with Wood. I'm afraid of Leake's arm getting tired late in the season, yet alone in mid to late October.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsLvr View Post
    For sure I'd go with Cueto, Arroyo, Volquez in that order for the first three games. At this point I'd much rather have Leake pitching in that 4th spot, but time could change my opinion on that. If Wood shows the consistency that Leake had over the first half over the first half of the season then I'd go with Wood. I'm afraid of Leake's arm getting tired late in the season, yet alone in mid to late October.
    Fair point about Leake and his workload. I just think he gives the team the best chance to win among all of our starters. He has only had one start all year in which the team really didn't have a chance to win (Philly @ home) so given how important game 1 of a 5 game series is, I'd go with the rookie. His mentality and composure is incredible.

Even if Leake is out of innings for the playoffs, I keep him on the team to leadoff and play SS.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

It's a tough call for me. None of them have playoff experience to my knowledge.

Do you go with veterans or the young guys getting it done?

I would imagine they'd all be nervous.

Not sure what I'd do. Probably go with the hot hand leading up to the postseason.

Formerly Farsighted Fan sabometrics's Avatar

#1 - Arroyo - Only one with playoff experience, he's the guy I want getting the ball in game one to deal with the pressure, not either of the rookies or the still young Cueto/Volquez.

#2 - Cueto - Has been our best pitcher thus far, earns this spot, but his relative inexperience keeps him from being the top guy.

#3 - Volquez - Could be lower depending on how he continues to progress, but this is where I'd want him.

#4 - Wood - This is the "I hope" pick. Leake will be unavailable, that much we know. Out of Wood/Bailey/Harang, Wood is the guy I want, but it remains to be seen how each of these guys will be throwing down the stretch.

Best Bullpen w/o any trades: Cordero, Masset, Rhodes, Ondrusek, Chapman, Bailey + 1 more (probably Harang, but I still hate the idea of him in the bullpen)
    "He looked like a surfer kid from SoCal," manager Dusty Baker says. "He didn't say much, but you could tell he was cool."

Arroyo was in the postseason in 2003-2005 with the Sawx. Coming out of the bullpen, he posted a 7.41 ERA in 17.0 IP and a 1.647 WHIP.

Not particularly dominant, but I think it shows he isn't effective out of the bullpen. He had pitched well during those regular seasons as a starter.

So anyway.. I would definitely put him as our #1 or #2 starter in the playoffs.

And I really REALLY hope that Harang does not get to sniff the playoffs if we make if there. I do not want him in there at all.

Turn Off Ads?