Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cueto's Return

Posting from Southwest VA redsfaninbsg's Avatar

Cueto's Return

Evidently the plan is one more rehab start on Tuesday. If all goes well, when is he activated? Do you give Bailey an extra day or do you just wait til the 20th and let him pitch in NYC. This would push Leake back a day, assuming the schedule stays as is.
    This is the ol Left Hander rounding third and heading for home.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Future Fame of Holler WildcatFan's Avatar

Re: Cueto's Return

Last couple times Homer's pitched in NYC it's gone very well.
    "I never argue with people who say baseball is boring, because baseball is boring. And then, suddenly, it isn't. And that's what makes it great." - Joe Posnanski

Are we assuming Leake stays in the rotation upon Cueto's return?? I don't know how you can send Cingrani back down...he;s undefeated I believe...I suggest Leake as a good long relief option and get rid of Parra.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfunguy View Post
    Are we assuming Leake stays in the rotation upon Cueto's return?? I don't know how you can send Cingrani back down...he;s undefeated I believe...I suggest Leake as a good long relief option and get rid of Parra.

IIRC, Cingrani does have one loss. But the record isn't the reason he may be sent down. IMO, the league is catching on to the fact that he throws 90% fast balls. He needs to learn to control and throw his two other pitches to stay in the big leagues. Unless something changes in the next week Cingrani will probably go down to Louisville.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    IIRC, Cingrani does have one loss. But the record isn't the reason he may be sent down. IMO, the league is catching on to the fact that he throws 90% fast balls. He needs to learn to control and throw his two other pitches to stay in the big leagues. Unless something changes in the next week Cingrani will probably go down to Louisville.
    I don't think it is an issue of the league catching on to the 90% fastball usage as much as his not having as good a placement with it in the last couple of starts. I think a 5 second google search would tell the league that Cingrani throws almost all fastballs and I imagine the MLB team would at least get a scouting report from their Milb scouts about Cingrani. (Though he did face the Cubs twice, so maybe not ). Otherwise I would not be surprised if he does go back to AAA to continue starting. I don't see the Reds putting him in the pen unless their is an injury, esp one with Marshall.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

They propbely wanted to give Cingrani an extra day of rest, plus thought he's a better match up vs. the lefties in Philly.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Cingrani has pitched well, but certainly he's slowed down considerably after rocketing onto the scene.

Setting my dislike for Mike Leake aside, I have a tough time seeing how they'll keep Cingrani up over him at this point.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    They propbely wanted to give Cingrani an extra day of rest, plus thought he's a better match up vs. the lefties in Philly.
    I think it's the lefty-lefty thing.

Dusty, I sense, tends to consider opposing offenses to be "lefty" or "righty." He didn't use Marshall against the Brewers, not for one batter, and he pulled Cingrani early. Righty team. Phils are a lefty team.

I kind of doubt that Leake is going down and Cingrani staying.

BTW, to set the record straight, Cingrani is 2-0. He doesn't have a loss.

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

If Cingrani lays an egg on Friday, it will make the decision easier, but something tells me that won't happen.

Otherwise, I think the reds would be fiolish to send him down when he is this dominant . I don't care if he's throwing 99% fastballs . Roll with it until it's not working anymore. Then, and only then, send him down to focus on secondary pitches
    Stick to your guns.

I see Leake with ability to go deeper in games right now. I'm more concerned about having a rested bullpen then the difference between a 4.32 and 2.89 ERA right now.

It is a gamble as I know every game counts but I see the Reds making playoffs either way. If that starts to look in question than I make the move back to Cingrani.

14. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Well, if what some here has said is true and Leake can't be sent down to AAA without his permission, then I think it's all but a certainty that Cingrani will head back down once Cueto's given the go ahead. They'll just look at the Cingrani situation and count it as valuable experience going forward and he'll have a more realistic shot at the rotation next spring.

Leake is not suited for the pen IMO. And I want he and Cingrani logging starters innings personally.

16. Likes:

bigredmechanism (05-14-2013),Billy Hamilton's Legs (05-14-2013),Old school 1983 (05-14-2013),REDREAD (05-15-2013),remdog (05-15-2013)

always ask questions bigredmechanism's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Well, if what some here has said is true and Leake can't be sent down to AAA without his permission, then I think it's all but a certainty that Cingrani will head back down once Cueto's given the go ahead. They'll just look at the Cingrani situation and count it as valuable experience going forward and he'll have a more realistic shot at the rotation next spring.

Leake is not suited for the pen IMO. And I want he and Cingrani logging starters innings personally.
    Echoing what someone else said: If Cingrani is sent down, and I expect that to be the case, I'd like to see him convert to a bullpen arm in September and October. He can win Bronson's job next Spring.
    Award Winning Baseball Player

18. Likes:

REDREAD (05-15-2013)

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bigredmechanism View Post
    Echoing what someone else said: If Cingrani is sent down, and I expect that to be the case, I'd like to see him convert to a bullpen arm in September and October. He can win Bronson's job next Spring.
    Even that's not a sure thing. I really think they make the conversion of Arolids next year. So I envision a battle between Leake & Cingrani. I'm hoping that, by then, we've seen the extensions of Homer & Latos.

Turn Off Ads?