Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Academy Award nominations are out

Re: Academy Award nominations are out

Almost forgot... I thought Hyde Park on Hudson was gonna be Murray's Oscar vehicle. That sure fizzled out...hardly got any press at all.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by WMR View Post
    I think Silver Linings Playbook is my favorite of the ones I've seen so far (about half the list). It comes dangerously close to audience pandering, though, but it is so damn likeable.
    I'm pretty torn between Zero Dark Thirty, Django, and Silver Linings. ZDT seems like the most Oscar-bait movie of the three though and I think it has the best chance of winning, so I guess I'll pull for it...

rest in power, king Wonderful Monds's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    I'm pretty torn between Zero Dark Thirty, Django, and Silver Linings. ZDT seems like the most Oscar-bait movie of the three though and I think it has the best chance of winning, so I guess I'll pull for it...
    To be included in that conversation, does that mean you think Django Unchained seems like Oscar bait to some degree as well? Because I really don't see that at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Wonderful Monds View Post
    To be included in that conversation, does that mean you think Django Unchained seems like Oscar bait to some degree as well? Because I really don't see that at all.
    No I don't. I'm just saying those are my three personal favorite. I'm pulling for ZDT because I think it has a much greater chance of winning than the other two. I think ZDT, Lincoln, Argo, and Les Miz are the only nominees with a shot...

The Miserables will win. It's a period piece about the French with over-the-top singing. Three things the Academy loves.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Saw "Lincoln" last night. There is no way Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win best actor. Hands down.

My only complaint about the movie was that it was a smidge long. They could have cut the whole son Robert arc and the better ending would have been Lincoln's butler watching Lincoln walking down the White House hallway. We knew he got assassinated and it was a bit of an anticlimax.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    Saw "Lincoln" last night. There is no way Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't win best actor. Hands down.

My only complaint about the movie was that it was a smidge long. They could have cut the whole son Robert arc and the better ending would have been Lincoln's butler watching Lincoln walking down the White House hallway. We knew he got assassinated and it was a bit of an anticlimax.
    I think Spielberg (or the writers) tried to get too cute with the assassination scene. So people thought it was unique, but me, eh.

I think just about everybody (including myself) agrees with your criticism. Spot on.

For the category of Best Actor, I must ask: did you see The Master?

I attended ZDT with 7 other people. Not one of us thought it was a great movie.

Quote Originally Posted by RBA View Post
    I attended ZDT with 7 other people. Not one of us thought it was a great movie.
    What's your pick?

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Almost forgot... I thought Hyde Park on Hudson was gonna be Murray's Oscar vehicle. That sure fizzled out...hardly got any press at all.
    I was actually wondering if that was "released" in time. It got so little attention, did they actually hold it until after new years so it's in contention for next year's awards?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by *BaseClogger* View Post
    What's your pick?
    Django Unchained is the only other movie I have seen on the list. So I really don't have an informed opinion on which one is best. I did like Django.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I was actually wondering if that was "released" in time. It got so little attention, did they actually hold it until after new years so it's in contention for next year's awards?
    Surely it was, I believe the official release was Dec 7. Django was Dec 25.

If you want to see all the big Oscar movies, AMC has a pretty cool deal. I think Newport is doing it.

http://www.amctheatres.com/programs/...cture-showcase
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

If you want to see all the big Oscar movies, AMC has a pretty cool deal. I think Newport is doing it.

http://www.amctheatres.com/programs/...cture-showcase
    9 movies in one day? Not sure I could even make it that long without falling asleep.

Turn Off Ads?