Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Re: Your comfort level with Cozart (non-poll poll)

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It was under 15% in AAA this year, but lets just assume its 16-17%.... That puts him in line with Fred Lewis and Joey Votto.

That's the only time in his career it was under 16%, and it's less than half a year.

Votto and Lewis strike out quite a bit. 100 times a season is quite a bit. Of course Votto walks a ton, and deap counts mean increased strike outs. Cozart strikes out without the benefit of a lot of walks.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    That's the only time in his career it was under 16%, and it's less than half a year.

Votto and Lewis strike out quite a bit. 100 times a season is quite a bit. Of course Votto walks a ton, and deap counts mean increased strike outs. Cozart strikes out without the benefit of a lot of walks.
    Eh, Cozart walks about half as often as he strikes out.

And 17% is about average. In 2010 there were 205 players with at least 400 PA in the Majors. The players at #102 and #103 on the strikeout % list struck out 16.2% of the time.

If Cozart bats 8th, he'll be better than almost all other 8th place hitters.

If he bats, 7th, he'll be about league average.

If he bats anywhere else, he'll be lucky to be average.

With the lineup the Reds should put together in 2012, it's a good bet he'll be the worst everyday hitter on the team.

Very comfortable with Cozart at this point. I think he's got solid tools across the board and good instincts.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    With the lineup the Reds should put together in 2012, it's a good bet he'll be the worst everyday hitter on the team.
    If that is the case, then the Reds offense will be very strong.

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post

100 times per season, while not low, is not that many either. It's probably around average.

Also, I see the Dusty batting ZC leadoff if we don't have a leadoff hitter and 2nd if we do have one.

If that is the case, then the Reds offense will be very strong.
    Who projects poorer?

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    I like Cozart. But with Rolen questionable, I think you have to sign a vet infielder this winter.
    Omar Infante is a great fit. Can play all around the IF and even LF in a pinch and is a solid hitter for average, even though he isn't the greatest at taking a walk. He would be a nice #2 hitter playing all over including SS. And I would ideally work Cozart in semi-slowly for a few months at SS. But I have no qualms with just letting Cozart run with it either, he is gonna have some struggles for awhile but that is the nature of relying on youth, gotta live thru their struggles.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Who projects poorer?
    Rolen? Phillips? I could see Cozart out hitting both of them next year.

Rolen? Phillips? I could see Cozart out hitting both of them next year.
    I like Cozart but I'd take that bet with BP in a heartbeat.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I would with Rolen as well. Sure, the guy doesn't belong in the cleanup spot, but he's a better hitter than Cozart.

Regardless, the Red offense, with Cozart, looks to have above average performers at every spot aside from perhaps LF and 3B.

Add a bench that should prove exceptional and all the Reds need focus on is pretty much the entire pitching staff.

(Snicker.)

I would with Rolen as well. Sure, the guy doesn't belong in the cleanup spot, but he's a better hitter than Cozart.

Regardless, the Red offense, with Cozart, looks to have above average performers at every spot aside from perhaps LF and 3B.

Add a bench that should prove exceptional and all the Reds need focus on is pretty much the entire pitching staff.

(Snicker.)
    If I were to bet, I would take your side. But at the same time, I think Cozart could be a .750 OPS guy next year too. And well, that is better than Rolen this year by far and right in line with Phillips who isn't getting any younger. Like I said, I could see it. Doesn't mean I think its very likely to happen.

And I'm with you as well.

I could see Cozart go all late-career Nomar Garciaparra offensively.

But, more than likely, he'll OPS from 675 - 725 with good pop, a few BBs (more if he hits 8th), and good defense at SS. Rolen should hit a bit better than that (715 - 765 range).

I know it's a young season (and career), but Cozart has impressed the heck out of me not only with the glove, but the bat too. What's crazy is in his young major league career, he's hit in 15 out of 17 games!!

So to answer the question in this thread, my comfort level is completely fine!

I've been a Cozart fan since he hit AAA. Color me impressed but expecting this.

Turn Off Ads?