VS; Reds/Rays Won 8-4

• Rodriguez: 2-6, R
    • Contreras: 1-6, 2 R
    • Cedeno: 2-5, 2 RBI, R
    • Omana: 1-3, 2B, RBI, BB
    • Hernandez: 1-4, BB, R
    • Rodriguez: 2.2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 3 BB, 2 K
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Tuesday July 3rd minor league updates

No one else mentioned how well Bray and Majewski did tonight. I thought I would be the first. 1 scoreless iining for both sounds pretty good. I am willing to concede its only AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    No one else mentioned how well Bray and Majewski did tonight. I thought I would be the first. 1 scoreless iining for both sounds pretty good. I am willing to concede its only AAA.
    For some reason, I don't think that's what Krivsky had in mind when he traded for him. Fact of the matter is, they should pitch like that every night in AAA.

I think Bray will be back with the Reds soon though. After his first shaky outing, he's been lights out. Majewski, on the other hand, I have given up on.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Kudos to Carson Kainer for 4 hits tonight. Looks like the Reds may have found themselves a good young hitter there.

Also, good to see Dickerson get some hits. I think the Reds plan for him to be with the big club soon, if only for defense. I've heard that he really covers some ground out there and I would love to see him patrolling centerfield in the late innings of close games. He certainly looks like a top athlete.
    Last edited by Kc61; 07-04-2007 at 01:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Kudos to Carson Kainer for 4 hits tonight. Looks like the Reds may have found themselves a good young hitter there.

Also, good to see Dickerson get some hits. I think the Reds plan for him to be with the big club soon, if only for defense. I've heard that he really covers some ground out there and I would love to see him patrolling centerfield in the late innings of close games. He certainly looks like a top athlete.
    After struggling mightly when first being called up to AAA (.215/.319/.354), he rebounded nicely in June posting a .261/.381/.455/.833 line. He's started off well in July too (albeit in 3 games). He certainly has flaws, he's never really hit for a high average, and strikes out aton (97 times in under 300 ABs). However, he has 3 componets that do not slump: defense, speed, and walking. Even in his awful May, his BA/OB split was still over .100. Adding in his 2 walks tonight, in only 173 AAA ABs he has 31 walks. He has good wheels, and he is simply a joy to watch play CF. I just don't know if he will ever hit for a high enough average to warrant playing everyday in the majors. If he could just manage to hit .240-.250, with his OBP and defense he would be an assest to a team in CF.

Another interesting guy I've been following in AAA in Pedro Lopez. We acquired him off waivers this year, and since we have acquired him he hasn't stopped hitting. Coming into tonight, he had been hitting .295 with a .348 OBP in 105 ABs with the Bats (including a .312/.357 line in June). Add in his 3-4 night with 2 BB his numbers will look even better in the morning (probably around .305-.310 with an OBP around .360). He's another guy known as all glove no stick, but if he can hit for a decent average he could stick in the majors. Unlike Dickerson, Lopez has only struck out 11 times in 109 ABs with the Bats (yes I know that doesn't make you a good hitter), which probably means Krivsky loves him. Also, Lopez is barely 23 years old.
    Last edited by reds44; 07-04-2007 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    After struggling mightly when first being called up to AAA (.215/.319/.354), he rebounded nicely in June posting a .261/.381/.455/.833 line. He's started off well in July too (albeit in 3 games). He certainly has flaws, he's never really hit for a high average, and strikes out aton (97 times in under 300 ABs). However, he has 3 componets that do not slump: defense, speed, and walking. Even in his awful May, his BA/OB split was still over .100. Adding in his 2 walks tonight, in only 173 AAA ABs he has 31 walks. He has good wheels, and he is simply a joy to watch play CF. I just don't know if he will ever hit for a high enough average to warrant playing everyday in the majors. If he could just manage to hit .240-.250, with his OBP and defense he would be an assest to a team in CF.

Another interesting guy I've been following in AAA in Pedro Lopez. We acquired him off waivers this year, and since we have acquired him he hasn't stopped hitting. Coming into tonight, he had been hitting .295 with a .348 OBP in 105 ABs with the Bats (including a .312/.357 line in June). Add in his 3-4 night with 2 BB his numbers will look even better in the morning (probably around .305-.310 with an OBP around .360). He's another guy known as all glove no stick, but if he can hit for a decent average he could stick in the majors. Unlike Dickerson, Lopez has only struck out 11 times in 109 ABs with the Bats (yes I know that doesn't make you a good hitter), which probably means Krivsky loves him. Also, Lopez is barely 23 years old.
    Not sure about Dickerson, but I hope you are right. With his size I still expect some power to show up. He may end up being Reggie Taylor who seems like he should be able to do anything on a ball field but simply doesn't. He can be a role player for cheap though.

Lopez may be the sleeper. This kid has had some OBP problems but has always been a little young for his level. He was good last year in AA but struggled in AAA. This year he develops in AAA. Maybe if Krivsky "loves him" as you say, he can come up and signal the end of the "Juan Castro era" in Cincy. Time for Juan to become a coach IMO. With Dent gone, maybe he's the guy to coach the infielders. I'd like to see Lopez up soon.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

What else does Jeff Keppinger have to do to get a call to the bigs? A lot of folks bemoan dumping Harris for Keppinger but look at Jeff's stats this year: .373/.426/.475 with 21 BBs and only 13 Ks. Granted, he's never going to be a starter on this team, but I wouldn't mind seeing Jeff Keppinger given the chance to be the backup infielder the next few years. He's not going to give you any power off the bench but is a guy that can play all 3 positions and you can plug him in once every two weeks or so and not lose much. There's no reason for Castro to be on the team at this point, they need to see if Keppinger might be able to fill that role...
    "In our sundown perambulations of late, through the outer parts of Brooklyn, we have observed several parties of youngsters playing 'base', a certain game of ball. Let us go forth awhile, and get better air in our lungs. Let us leave our close rooms, the game of ball is glorious"
    -Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Not sure about Dickerson, but I hope you are right. With his size I still expect some power to show up. He may end up being Reggie Taylor who seems like he should be able to do anything on a ball field but simply doesn't. He can be a role player for cheap though.

Lopez may be the sleeper. This kid has had some OBP problems but has always been a little young for his level. He was good last year in AA but struggled in AAA. This year he develops in AAA. Maybe if Krivsky "loves him" as you say, he can come up and signal the end of the "Juan Castro era" in Cincy. Time for Juan to become a coach IMO. With Dent gone, maybe he's the guy to coach the infielders. I'd like to see Lopez up soon.
    Lopez line after last night: .312/.372/.394/.766

The thing that concerns me about him even though I love his line so far (albeit in only 109 ABs), is his home/raod splits.

Home: .397/.432/.485
    Away: .171/.277/.244

Considering his past of not hitting, I'm afraid Louisville's park is inflating his numbers. Although, I don't think Louisville is some extreme hitters park so it could just be a coincidence. Either way, I hope he keeps hitting. When you consider his age, like you said, he could be a sleeper.

Dickerson's line sits at .249/.369/..422/.791

This is the guy that has caught my eye recently. He seems to look pretty solid.

Viola: 1.2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 1 K
    Have to keep an eye on him.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    For some reason, I don't think that's what Krivsky had in mind when he traded for him. Fact of the matter is, they should pitch like that every night in AAA.

I think Bray will be back with the Reds soon though. After his first shaky outing, he's been lights out. Majewski, on the other hand, I have given up on.
    Maybe Krivsky was out of his mind when he traded for him or them!

Turn Off Ads?