Turn Off Ads?
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

Re: Holy Grail (First Restaurant/Bar at The Banks) set to open 3/17

My friends and I will be heading down for our first games since opening day this tomorrow and Saturday. Friday we'll probably stay outside of the city for dinner and go to Chi-nnati's but Saturday night I think we'll get down early and check out Moerline's menu. Anyone have anything that they would recommend?

Looking forward to it!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    My friends and I will be heading down for our first games since opening day this tomorrow and Saturday. Friday we'll probably stay outside of the city for dinner and go to Chi-nnati's but Saturday night I think we'll get down early and check out Moerline's menu. Anyone have anything that they would recommend?

Looking forward to it!
    If Sat is a nice day head down early and enjoy the beer garden. Put your name in for a table then enjoy a couple of beers in the Moerline beer garden. You can't beat that on a nice afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    If Sat is a nice day head down early and enjoy the beer garden. Put your name in for a table then enjoy a couple of beers in the Moerline beer garden. You can't beat that on a nice afternoon.
    Yeah, we checked that out on Opening day and played some cornhole down there. It's a much better situation than in years past. We loved it.

Have you had anything (other than beer) on the menu that absolutely stood out?

I haven't had it since Moerlein's opening weekend, but the crispy pork belly was quite good.

Ask and you shall recieve. http://www.carlsdeli.com/
    Wow! You give great service.

That's just the kind of place I like for lunches. I'll give 'em a try, maybe even as soon as tomorrow...

Quote Originally Posted by schmidty622 View Post
    Yeah, we checked that out on Opening day and played some cornhole down there. It's a much better situation than in years past. We loved it.

Have you had anything (other than beer) on the menu that absolutely stood out?
    Can't really say I have. The menu is pretty big and the sandwhich I had was pretty average. I did have a met from a vendor in the beer garden that was ok.

We have a yard house here in Hawaii. It's an awesome place to eat or just to hang out and have a fee drinks. That'll be a great addition down by the park. Looking forward to checking out the holy grail tonight!! But coming 6000 miles, only to see leake is pitching tonight, sucks!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BPhil4 View Post
    We have a yard house here in Hawaii. It's an awesome place to eat or just to hang out and have a fee drinks. That'll be a great addition down by the park. Looking forward to checking out the holy grail tonight!! But coming 6000 miles, only to see leake is pitching tonight, sucks!!!
    Well, you could see the first home run hit by Bryce Harper in his career.... so that could be worth the trip!

Isn't Vienna in Austria???

Actually my German food experience was from Munich which I found pretty disgusting. But German McDonalds makes one hell of a double cheesburger, a little pricey though. It was only for a short period of time but I found the food to be bland and foul smelling in general.
    Yes, Vienna is in Austria, but Austrians are ethnically Germans. In general, Austrian German food is interesting in that, having once been part of a large Central European empire, the cuisine shows a lot of influence from Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the Balkans. The standard pork and sauerkraut can be found everywhere, but in general food there tends toward the spicier, with plenty of paprika, and Gulasch/gulasch soup is very popular. Wild game, such as deer and boar, is common and quite tasty. Roast chicken is big and of course Schnitzel reigns supreme, with varieties made using veal, pork, chicken or turkey and all kinds of different sauces and toppings added. Figlmueller is a Viennese restaurant famous for its schnitzel, which is so big it covers the entire plate.

It's a shame you weren't able to find anything to your liking in Munich. Munich also has a number of great restaurants. One of the things I miss most about Bavaria and Austria are the sausages. The bratwurst and kaesekrainers (kind of like a Slovenian-style kielbasa with bits of swiss cheese) were awesome and so much tastier than anything made by Johnsonville. Served with spicy mustard and a crusty roll called a Semmel (like a kaiser roll with the crust of a baguette), delicious!
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    What do you think of Mecklenberg's? Is that authenic German food?
    Meaning Mecklenburg Gardens? Haven't been there. I wanted to try it out last time I was down there for a Reds game, but unfortunately, it was a Sunday and they were closed.

I like a lot of the food they serve up at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati, but a lot of it has evolved from what would be called traditional German to what I'd say is Cincinnati German. For example, I never saw anything close to goetta anywhere in Germany and Austria.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    Yes, Vienna is in Austria, but Austrians are ethnically Germans. In general, Austrian German food is interesting in that, having once been part of a large Central European empire, the cuisine shows a lot of influence from Hungary, Italy, Switzerland, the Czech Republic, Slovakia and the Balkans. The standard pork and sauerkraut can be found everywhere, but in general food there tends toward the spicier, with plenty of paprika, and Gulasch/gulasch soup is very popular. Wild game, such as deer and boar, is common and quite tasty. Roast chicken is big and of course Schnitzel reigns supreme, with varieties made using veal, pork, chicken or turkey and all kinds of different sauces and toppings added. Figlmueller is a Viennese restaurant famous for its schnitzel, which is so big it covers the entire plate.

It's a shame you weren't able to find anything to your liking in Munich. Munich also has a number of great restaurants. One of the things I miss most about Bavaria and Austria are the sausages. The bratwurst and kaesekrainers (kind of like a Slovenian-style kielbasa with bits of swiss cheese) were awesome and so much tastier than anything made by Johnsonville. Served with spicy mustard and a crusty roll called a Semmel (like a kaiser roll with the crust of a baguette), delicious!
    Since we are on this subject, two of my main problems with German food were the smell and the language barrier. It sounds odd but a lot of the German food has a pretty sour smell. If you think about it bratwurst don't really smell all that great. The other factor was German is such a difficult language to understand what the actual food is. In Italy or France I can get buy more because the food is more familiar and the language isn't as difficult to understand. If I wanted a sausage I just found it way to difficult to understand what each sausage was. German words run on for sentenaces.

Its unfortunate because I like sausage and their roasted chickens looked good. But when push came to shove I just couldn't pull the trigger. Don't get me started abotu the breakfast they served in our hotel. I will just say that waking up with a hangover and just looking at the food really didn't entice me. Mush, warm meants, and warm milk is the way I would describe it. I did have a steak sandwhich at Oktoberfest that was pretty good. I think we went back to the same vendor later that night. Continuing on my tangent we were at Oktoberfest one night and the beer gardens all close around 10. But we were able to go out and get shots of some vodka type liquor chased with pop rocks.

dp

Score Early, Score Often gonelong's Avatar

I've heard Schmidt's Haus in Columbus is "authentic", but I have not been able to get there to verify.

http://www.schmidthaus.com/

GL

I also spent some time in Austria and loved the food. I never once had a craving for a cheeseburger because the local food was just that much better. The small country restaurants, especially in Tirol, had some of the best food I've ever eaten, anywhere.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

I don't see how this could be popular in Cincinnati:

Turn Off Ads?