Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Im done with Dickerson, Bring up Gomes

Gary Redus Ruled

Im done with Dickerson, Bring up Gomes

Ive seen enough. Hes lost his confidence..He needs to go to AAA badly...His D sucks and his at bats are awful. Bring up Gomes and platoon him with Nix. Do it NOW.
    Hoping for another Reds October

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Re: Im done with Dickerson, Bring up Gomes

There's a reason why he is a minor league lifer. The Reds don't need to resort to second-rate talent. I see nothing unlikeable about C-Dick, but it's becoming evident that he just doesn't have the talent for an extended role in The Show.

I don't know if the answer is Gomes, Hopper, or Gapper. I haven't been paying attention to the AAA club. There have to be more options than these guys. Stubbs is hitting .329 and has swiped 10 bags while committing 0 errors. Maybe give this kid a shot?
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

Votto = MVP

I've about had enough from Dickerson myself. I think he and McDonald both deserve to be in AAA. And if somebody needs to be waived to bring up a player that's not on the 40-man, I vote McDonald.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

I agree.

Let's bring up Gomes and his .242 average.

The truth is, there really isn't anyone in AAA that deserves to be called up to the OF right now with power. McDonald on the roster doesn't bother me. He doesn't play everyday and he's the perfect 4/5 OF with his speed/defense. Not to mention, he does what he's supposed to do when called upon unlike Dickerson. McDonald is Norris Hopper: Part Deux. One of those guys should be on the roster and not both.

Votto = MVP

We wouldn't be bringing Gomes up to play LF everyday. We'd obviously make him part of the Righty/Lefty Platoon in LF. Nix should stay as the left fielder for RHP and Gomes could be the right handed batter against lefties. Part of his low average has to do with the fact that he's seen righties over three times as much as lefties. His line thus far against lefties:

.364/3 HR/.481 OBP/.818 SLG/ 1.300 OPS

I know it's in limited action against lefties (22 ABs), but I still like the Nix/Gomes platoon in left much more than Nix/Hairston. Let Hairston be the utility man he is.
    2009 Attendance Record: 7-2

McDonald is worse IMO. That AB today sealed the deal with me, waive him tomorrow.

Dude Rock

The guy who needs to be up here is Heisey, but he's still in double A. They need to move him up and see how he does. He has speed, pop, average, and a good OBP.

Quote Originally Posted by Dude Rock View Post
    The guy who needs to be up here is Heisey, but he's still in double A. They need to move him up and see how he does. He has speed, pop, average, and a good OBP.
    I totally agree. Get Heisey up to AAA and see how he can do, if he proves himself there get him up to the big leagues. Also, I agree with everyone else about dickerson and mcdonald they are not contributing on this team. McDonald mid as well have went up to the plate today without a bat. He was no where close to making contact with any of the pitches he swung at. I feel bad for the guy I wish he could make it in the big leagues, but he is just not helping out the team. We need to bring up guys to fill these two spots.

[QUOTE=Cant Touch This;1863561]There's a reason why he is a minor league lifer. The Reds don't need to resort to second-rate talent. I see nothing unlikeable about C-Dick, but it's becoming evident that he just doesn't have the talent for an extended role in The Show.

I don't know if I am ready to make this pronouncement after so few at-bats this year, as I was not ready to call him Babe Ruth after even more at bats last year. The guy just seems to me like he has lost confidence and needs to find his swing in Louisville. Certainly, there are players who have had fine careers who struggled even more than Dickerson this early in their major league careers. Dickerson got off to an incredibly slow start last year and then tore up triple a and then major league pitching. I would send him down to help him find his stroke from last year and spring training, but the problem is who do you bring up. There are a number of interesting choices, but none of them really excite you (Gomes, Hopper). There are some young guys who are intriguing but don't want to see them rushed (Heisey, Stubbs). I would probably send Mcdonald down. I am not sure he is fit for the role the reds want him for.

Quote Originally Posted by corwinator3407 View Post
    McDonald is worse IMO. That AB today sealed the deal with me, waive him tomorrow.
    Agreed, I forgot he was even on the team today. But he needs to be gone so Dusty can't give him his chance to "stay sharp" in an important game where we could have gotten a sweep. Janish has been hitting well and Owings was on the bench with a lefty pitching. I don't know Owings splits but I would much rather have him up there than McDonald.

Stubbs in LF would be nice, solid defense, and some speed, When Taveras or Stubbs get on they would make the Pitchers think about them, send Dikerson and McDonald down and call up Stubbs and Some other player like Castillo who is versitle with some speed also

Kneel before Zod Cant Touch This's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kfm View Post

I don't know if I am ready to make this pronouncement after so few at-bats this year, as I was not ready to call him Babe Ruth after even more at bats last year. The guy just seems to me like he has lost confidence and needs to find his swing in Louisville. Certainly, there are players who have had fine careers who struggled even more than Dickerson this early in their major league careers. Dickerson got off to an incredibly slow start last year and then tore up triple a and then major league pitching. I would send him down to help him find his stroke from last year and spring training, but the problem is who do you bring up. There are a number of interesting choices, but none of them really excite you (Gomes, Hopper). There are some young guys who are intriguing but don't want to see them rushed (Heisey, Stubbs). I would probably send Mcdonald down. I am not sure he is fit for the role the reds want him for.
    Fair enough. I was in the camp that Dickerson should be given the nod in LF based on his resurgence last year. Still, if I were a betting man, and I were, I'd be inclined to think that his ship has sailed unfortunately. It hasn't sailed as far off shore as Old MacDonald's boat, but it left port. Let's hope he can find a life raft to take him back to his ship. HMS Stop Sucking.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Dickerson definitely isn't the upgrade over Adam Dunn that everyone said he'd be. Gomes is only hitting .242 in Louisville. That's nothing special. http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe...ny-Gomes.shtml
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Look at Gomes' splits against LHP. It's a very small sample size but he's killing lefties.

There's a big factor no one is mentioning. EE will be returning in a couple weeks probably, and Gonzo probably sooner. When that happens I don't think Rosales or Janish get sent down. Instead, I think Hairston returns to left field and McDonald or Dickerson get sent down then. You'd have to send them both down to bring up Gomes.

My vote would be to send McDonald down for Gomes now to give Gomes some starts against lefties and see how he does. Then when EE comes back, send Dickerson down. That would leave a bench of Hairston, Nix/Gomes, Rosales, Janish, Hannigan.

Turn Off Ads?