Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Friday, June 25, 2010 Minor League Updates

Re: Friday, June 25, 2010 Minor League Updates

Quote Originally Posted by NeilHamburger View Post
    If LeCure pitches poorly tomorrow I wouldn't mind Wood taking his spot in the rotation. Especially since Bailey still appears to be around a month away from starting in Cincy.
    Im guessing Volquez is taking Lecures spots

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Im guessing its because his schedule got messed up for the All Star game the threw in. Who knows for sure though.
    that's what i thought too.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Wood: 8 IP, 5 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 9 K, 103 pitches/68 strikes.
    Okay, it is time to bring Wood up in my opinion in replace of LeCure. Sam has been serviceable, no doubt. But Wood has better stuff clearly and almost made the team out of ST. He is pitching brilliantly.

Not to mention, it would be nice to get a lefty in the rotation.
    Last edited by fearofpopvol1; 06-26-2010 at 12:59 AM.

I'd be disappointed if both Wood and Maloney are still with the organization in August. I'd have to guess one of them will be included in a trade package, otherwise it is almost a waste of resources.

Great to see Travis doing so well. He has really established himself as a major league ready top prospect.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I'd be disappointed if both Wood and Maloney are still with the organization in August. I'd have to guess one of them will be included in a trade package, otherwise it is almost a waste of resources.

Great to see Travis doing so well. He has really established himself as a major league ready top prospect.
    To take the other side of this, Beni, I'd have to say I wouldn't be disappointed because the one that's almost surely to go is Wood, and I suspect we'll come to regard trading him a mistake. Have to think Maloney's been shopped extensively and we've seen the result.

Hopefully Wood keeps raising his trade value.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieRed View Post
    To take the other side of this, Beni, I'd have to say I wouldn't be disappointed because the one that's almost surely to go is Wood, and I suspect we'll come to regard trading him a mistake. Have to think Maloney's been shopped extensively and we've seen the result.
    That's a fair argument, but I'd actually like to sell high on Wood- provided the return is right. If he continues to pitch well, and we could fetch a TOR arm like Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, or Brandon Webb with Wood as the centerpiece, I'd happily take it and not look back.

The Reds need the bolster this year for the stretch run. Wood might turn out to be great but he also very likely could top out at being the #4 starter he was always projected to be. Again, I'm not advocating trading him just to trade him, but if the sell-high opportunity is there and the Reds can strengthen their rotation for the stretch run, I'm all over it. Maloney & LeCure can handle the spot-starting duties for this year and next.
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    That's a fair argument, but I'd actually like to sell high on Wood- provided the return is right. If he continues to pitch well, and we could fetch a TOR arm like Cliff Lee, Dan Haren, or Brandon Webb with Wood as the centerpiece, I'd happily take it and not look back.

The Reds need the bolster this year for the stretch run. Wood might turn out to be great but he also very likely could top out at being the #4 starter he was always projected to be. Again, I'm not advocating trading him just to trade him, but if the sell-high opportunity is there and the Reds can strengthen their rotation for the stretch run, I'm all over it. Maloney & LeCure can handle the spot-starting duties for this year and next.

But Beni...and I see your point 100%, but you cannot give up a Travis Wood for a half year rental of a Cliff Lee...that is not good baseball....I say that with hopes of Travis Wood being a 6-8 year vet of a MLB staff...he has good enough stuff to keep him around with the right leadership. Now if Cliff Lee would sign here then thats a whole other option. I would trade Maloney or Lecure for a rental of Lee though....just not Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by lidspinner View Post
    But Beni...and I see your point 100%, but you cannot give up a Travis Wood for a half year rental of a Cliff Lee...that is not good baseball....I say that with hopes of Travis Wood being a 6-8 year vet of a MLB staff...he has good enough stuff to keep him around with the right leadership. Now if Cliff Lee would sign here then thats a whole other option. I would trade Maloney or Lecure for a rental of Lee though....just not Wood.
    I would happily trade Wood and a few others for Lee...but the problem is that Wood won't be enough. The Twins supposedly are willing to offer up a lot more than that.

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Off of Twitter:

Travis Wood since May 18th has posted this line: 1.62 ERA, 56 strikeouts and 11 walks in 55.2 innings.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I would happily trade Wood and a few others for Lee...but the problem is that Wood won't be enough. The Twins supposedly are willing to offer up a lot more than that.
    Id like to have Lee but I dont know if I can handle dealing a group of prospects for such a short return.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Id like to have Lee but I dont know if I can handle dealing a group of prospects for such a short return.
    It's not really a short return. The Reds get 2 high picks if Lee walks. I'm not in favor of the Reds giving up a top prospect (and I don't think Wood is a top prospect), but I'd be all for them giving up 3 good prospects for Lee. The Reds have a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year and Lee would help a lot.

“We have a primarily left-handed lineup against a tough lefty pitcher throwing the way he was – not the best match-up for us. You saw some textbook pitching out there today.”- Norfolk interim manager Bobby Dickerson on Travis Wood (The Virginian-Pilot)

“He located all of his pitches, fast, slow, up, down. He had command of the strike zone all night and was locating everything.”- Norfolk catcher Michel Hernandez on Wood
    (The Virginian-Pilot)
    http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...s-farm-report/

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    It's not really a short return. The Reds get 2 high picks if Lee walks. I'm not in favor of the Reds giving up a top prospect (and I don't think Wood is a top prospect), but I'd be all for them giving up 3 good prospects for Lee. The Reds have a legitimate shot at the playoffs this year and Lee would help a lot.
    I'm all for restocking the low minors w/ top picks, but trading MLB ready players (and solid ones at that) for a couple month rental isn't the best idea, imo.

Turn Off Ads?