Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Masters Pool

Re: Masters Pool

Quote Originally Posted by rotnoid View Post
    Tiger just dropped a GD and an SOB on the live feed. whoops.
    He does that all the time. F Bombs too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    He dropped a string of a solid bakers dozen during the U.S. Open at Pebble Beach after hooking his teeshot into the Pacific on 18.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Tiger is the worst role model of any top athlete at the top of his sport in the world. After his round he told Bill Mcatee that he was going to go break a few things to prepare for Friday's round.

I picked him, but I can't stand him and hope like heck he shoots 79 and misses the cut. I just don't like his antics. He gets in a sand trap, swings, sees it going awry and then the next thing you know he is doubled over with sand in his eye. I've never seen anyone else do this, but with Tiger it happens ALL the time. Is there something he does that makes the sand fly up into his eye on bad shots that other players aren't doing?

Also, despite hardly being the only guy having his picture taken, Tiger blames bad shots on cameramen more than the rest of the field combined. He also seems to be bothered by insects more than anyone else. There is always theatre on TV with Tiger and the latest knat that is after him. He backs off more shots due to bugs than the rest of the field combined it seems.

I edited the list to add HHFreel and paintmered. Thanks guys.

HoosierRed's pick of David Toms is the best selection so far.
    Last edited by MaineRed; 04-06-2007 at 07:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MaineRed View Post
    To be fair, Puffy also picked David Toms.

On Tiger Woods, I love the guy. His dedication, his competitiveness, his work ethic, his talent, his incredible creativity, and his incredible shot making. He's a phenom. It's not very often that you get to watch a player play a game at that high of a level that posesses all of the above. I'm glad I get to watch him play.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

On Tiger Woods, I love the guy. His dedication, his competitiveness, his work ethic, his talent, his incredible creativity, and his incredible shot making. He's a phenom. It's not very often that you get to watch a player play a game at that high of a level that posesses all of the above. I'm glad I get to watch him play.

Me too.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

Tiger is the worst role model of any top athlete at the top of his sport in the world. After his round he told Bill Mcatee that he was going to go break a few things to prepare for Friday's round.

I picked him, but I can't stand him and hope like heck he shoots 79 and misses the cut. I just don't like his antics. He gets in a sand trap, swings, sees it going awry and then the next thing you know he is doubled over with sand in his eye. I've never seen anyone else do this, but with Tiger it happens ALL the time. Is there something he does that makes the sand fly up into his eye on bad shots that other players aren't doing?

Also, despite hardly being the only guy having his picture taken, Tiger blames bad shots on cameramen more than the rest of the field combined. He also seems to be bothered by insects more than anyone else. There is always theatre on TV with Tiger and the latest knat that is after him. He backs off more shots due to bugs than the rest of the field combined it seems.

I edited the list to add HHFreel and paintmered. Thanks guys.

Wow. I didn't read this earlier. It doesn't bother me that you think that about Tiger, but I don't really understand it and couldn't disagree more. I liked golf before Tiger, but there wasn't really anybody that I rooted for, maybe Davis Love III. I think small things bother him more than anyone else because he is able to focus more on small things in his game more than anyone else. Not that he tries harder than anyone else, but I don't think anyone else on tour has any where near the mental game that Tiger has. I think obviously he has a physical advantage over everybody else in the field, but I think his mental advantage over everyone else is even bigger.

My brother hates Tiger too and we've round and round for years and I still don't understand why he hates him either. Just one of those things I guess.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post

Yeah I really love his "killer instinct", how if he's got a lead going into the weekend everybody else might as well see how much 2nd place pays. I love how he trounced Stephen Ames 9 and 8 last year after Ames said something about Woods being off his game. I like that in any athlete, I think Jr. has that quality more so probably when he played in Seattle though.

Watching Tiger now is like watching Willie Mays in his prime..... Secretariat..... Ali...

It's something special.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Razor Shines View Post
    Wow. I didn't read this earlier. It doesn't bother me that you think that about Tiger, but I don't really understand it and couldn't disagree more. I liked golf before Tiger, but there wasn't really anybody that I rooted for, maybe Davis Love III. I think small things bother him more than anyone else because he is able to focus more on small things in his game more than anyone else. Not that he tries harder than anyone else, but I don't think anyone else on tour has any where near the mental game that Tiger has. I think obviously he has a physical advantage over everybody else in the field, but I think his mental advantage over everyone else is even bigger.

My brother hates Tiger too and we've round and round for years and I still don't understand why he hates him either. Just one of those things I guess.
    A lot of people didn't like Michael Jordan in his prime either. Sometimes you just hate a guy for being too damn good at what he does.

I wasn't slamming his mental game but no matter how hard he focuses I don't see why he has to say on national TV that the answer to a bad round is to go break stuff (this sets as poor an example as you can set) nor do I see how extreme mental focus forces you to get more sand in your eyes than the rest of the players combined. The guy constantly has something in his eye and it is NEVER after a good shot.

I'm not taking anything away from him. We had a thread here about the greatest player ever awhile ago and I backed Tiger. But I don't like him. He's an incredible player, but I don't like him. It has nothing to do with winning. I'm a Celtics fan but I loved Jordan. But I hated Isiah Thomas. Its not the winning, its the person and Tiger the person I don't like.

This thread has proved to me why when Tiger is playing I don't get to see anyone else ever hit a shot. Golf fans aren't watching, its Tiger fans.

I wasn't slamming his mental game but no matter how hard he focuses I don't see why he has to say on national TV that the answer to a bad round is to go break stuff (this sets as poor an example as you can set) nor do I see how extreme mental focus forces you to get more sand in your eyes than the rest of the players combined. The guy constantly has something in his eye and it is NEVER after a good shot.

I'm not taking anything away from him. We had a thread here about the greatest player ever awhile ago and I backed Tiger. But I don't like him. He's an incredible player, but I don't like him. It has nothing to do with winning. I'm a Celtics fan but I loved Jordan. But I hated Isiah Thomas. Its not the winning, its the person and Tiger the person I don't like.

This thread has proved to me why when Tiger is playing I don't get to see anyone else ever hit a shot. Golf fans aren't watching, its Tiger fans.
    Actually I've seen him "get something in his eye" several times after great sand shots. And to your point of not getting to see other players, well maybe that's why it seems like Tiger gets something in his eye or stops because of a bug more often, just because we see so much more of him. I for one love that they show all of his shots, but yesterday you didn't see just Tiger. He was done playing by the time USA's coverage began.

The whole "getting something in your eye" thing has me confused. Are you suggesting that he acts like he got something in his eye to excuse a poor shot?

If that's what you mean, and I'm not completely sure it is, then you haven't been paying very close attention to his career.

I can't think of any golfer on the tour who would be less likely to make a lame excuse than Tiger.

Your obvious personal dislike for the guy is keeping you from appreciating one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Now go ahead and tell me why he's not an athlete.

who won? The pool, not the Masters.
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    who won? The pool, not the Masters.
    Not me. That's for sure.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

I figured out the winner using one method. I am not sure if everyone will agree with it. I took the score for each player who made the cut in relation to par. E.G. - if you picked Tiger you got a +3. If a player did not make the cut they received a +22. The way I came up with this is the worst players picked by someone who played all four rounds were Fasth and Immelman at +21. Since the scores were all over par I did not feel anyone should be penalized more by picking someone who made the cut over picking someone who did not make the cut. Anyway, using this logic, this year's winner would be Puffy. (God that was hard to type) The results are as follows and are unofficial since this is really MaineRed's puppy:

Puffy: 36
    rotnoid: 43
    RedHook: 43
    TexasDave: 44
    RedLeader: 45
    HHFreel: 46
    Jpup: 47
    RFS62: 47
    HoosierRed: 48
    HighLifeMan: 53
    Razor Shines: 55
    paintmered: 55
    HotCorner: 58
    SunDeck: 58
    dabvu: 65
    Cyclone792: 66
    MaineRed: 74

If anyone is still unsure why there should be a penalty for picking players that did not make the cut simply look at it this way. Say you picked the top five players: Johnson, Goosen, Sabatini, Woods and Kelly. Your score would be 14. If there is no penalty then someone who picked Fred Couples and four other golfers that did not even make the cut would have a score of 13. It does not seem right that a person picking the top five loses out to a person picking number 30 and four others who did not make it to the weekend. That is how I see it. But, as stated earlier, this is MaineRed's doing so he can figure out any way he sees fit to pick the winner.

PS The attachment is the worksheet I used to figure out everyone's totals.
    I think the numbers are correct. I apologize in advance if I left out anyone's picks or made a mistake on their score. On the attachment R2P = relative to par. P4PWMC = penalty for players who missed cut (22 per player)

Thanks.

Turn Off Ads?