Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brandon Jennings to sign in Europe...

Brandon Jennings to sign in Europe...

Looks like he couldn't cut it academically in Arizona so he will be headed to the Euroleague. Interesting. Anyone think this will end up being a trend for high school stars? If he can handle the different culture/languate/etc and will get solid minutes, I think it will be very valuable to him. Euroleague has way tougher competition than NCAA, but I'm wondering how his development will be in a different country.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Brandon Jennings to sign in Europe...

As a Wildcat fan, PGU will be missing a PG.

The reason is because he re-took the test for the second time (3 times overall), and decided before the 3rd test results were in that he'd go to Europe instead of Arizona.

Bayless gone, no Jennings....can Nic Wise be the lone PG? Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    Euroleague has way tougher competition than NCAA, but I'm wondering how his development will be in a different country.
    Depends on the league, and even then I'm not sure I buy it. Playing in the PAC-10, ACC, SEC etc... is pretty close to world class competition. And it's a style of play much closer to the NBA game.

He's going to Europe as a fallback plan. He wasn't going to qualify, probably knew it even before the results came back, and Europe was basically his only option. To me, anything he may say otherwise is just hollow spin.

He may make some money in the short term, but by not starring on the college level in front of American companies, he's risking some serious endorsement potential.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Depends on the league, and even then I'm not sure I buy it. Playing in the PAC-10, ACC, SEC etc... is pretty close to world class competition. And it's a style of play much closer to the NBA game.
    This is exactly what Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas want you to believe.

If kids have a chance at making money overseas rather than wasting a year in a college that they have no intention of staying in, they will go for the money. Wait a year, and then come back for the millions of dollars.

All in all, they need to just lift the one year rule and let the Brandon Jennings of the world just go pro. If anything, the college game might be able to retain more players.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    This is exactly what Dick Vitale and Jay Bilas want you to believe.
    Doesn't make it untrue. Only the elite level of Euro ball is anything like college, and not every Elite league is any good. Good college players fgo over to Europe and star in Elite leagues. Most Euro players come to America and fare about as well as the college entrants. The competition between those leagues and the best college conferences is very similar as a whole. The only difference is money.

It's not about making millions. He'll make millions regardless. People will be watching to see if he ends up making less money than he likely would have after starring in college. He's going to be compared to Rose, Bayless, and even Beasley, Oden, and Durant.
    Last edited by guttle11; 07-13-2008 at 09:20 PM.

I've been waiting for this to happen. I think it is a fabulous idea for a number of reasons.
    1. Many guys have no business being in college. Maybe this is the way that the NCAA slowly returns the idea of the student-athlete to college basketball.
    2. The one and done thing is a joke and it allows kids to hold schools hostage and hang them out to dry.
    3. Players will leave the hype machine of the NCAA and the American media. They will probably get a truer view of their skills in the international game, particularly guards.
    4. They will get to learn from other professionals, experience other cultures, and expand their horizons. Does anyone believe that happened to OJ Mayo at USC?
    5. They will learn better fundamentals than are being taught at most colleges. What did DerMarr Johnson learn at Cincy or Eric Gordon at Indiana? These one and done guys are told by their "handlers" that they need to get as much as the can in college to help their draft stock.

I see only positives in this. BUT, I'm a serious NBA guy, so anything that helps to improve the NBA product is fine by me.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

Euroleague >>>> NCAA. Some European teams aren't that impressive, but the Euroleague is 2nd to the NBA as far as competition IMO. If you post solid/decent numbers in Euroleague as a young player, you are usually a top pick in the draft.

Euroleague also has grown men, solid veteran players. Won't find that in the college game.

I wonder why he didn't just go to a D-league team, but I read that they make anywhere from 14,000 to 24,000.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

This is definitely a trend I see continuing. Make good money overseas, gaining valuable experience. Even if they go over and don't make it to the NBA, they can still notch out a good career there and make a small fortune for themselves.

It's also better training for celebrity than any NCAA team could offer.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamSelig View Post
    I wonder why he didn't just go to a D-league team, but I read that they make anywhere from 14,000 to 24,000.
    There is such a stigma against players who go to the D-League. These guys are always looking out for their marketing capabilities, and companies don't want guys who were in the D-League. Its just a perception thing.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Even if you buy that argument (which I think is dubious), if you're in one of those leagues, maybe there are a half-dozen or ten games that involve "world-class competition." You also spend a good deal of time playing Little Sisters of the Poor as well as competition in the bottom half of those conferences that is far from world class.

I'm all for this. If a guy wants to play sports while getting an education that's great. But the idea of college ball serving as a farm league full of players who could not otherwise get in to a given school and who have no intention of earning a degree just bugs me to no end.

Let the guy go earn a nice living doing what he does best. There should be no reason for him so go through the farce of being a student. If and when the NBA deems him ready, he can make the jump.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Red View Post
    Even if you buy that argument (which I think is dubious), if you're in one of those leagues, maybe there are a half-dozen or ten games that involve "world-class competition." You also spend a good deal of time playing Little Sisters of the Poor as well as competition in the bottom half of those conferences that is far from world class.
    How is that different than playing Northwestern? Look at any college schedule. In any given season, you play 10 patsies, 10 mediocre teams, and 10 good-really good clubs, no matter what conference you are in.

Carolina played:
    Nichols State
    Valpo
    Nevada
    Cal Santa Barbara
    Old Dominion
    South Carolina State
    Iona
    Rutgers
    Penn
    Mt. St. Mary's
    UNC - Asheville

There might have been 1 or 2 D-League players in that group, but not much more. That is not exactly a murderers row.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm all for this. If a guy wants to play sports while getting an education that's great. But the idea of college ball serving as a farm league full of players who could not otherwise get in to a given school and who have no intention of earning a degree just bugs me to no end.

Let the guy go earn a nice living doing what he does best. There should be no reason for him so go through the farce of being a student. If and when the NBA deems him ready, he can make the jump.

I agree. While I wouldn't want to force a guy to have to attend college for a year, they might want to think long and hard as to what they are missing from not going to college. I'm not just talking about classes - since they aren't there for an education - but being a BMOC, having the team built around you, getting a lot of media attention and just the college experience as a whole.

Sure, if they are going to Europe, they are getting paid but it becomes more of a job plus there is the culture change they need to go through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by improbus View Post
    How is that different than playing Northwestern? Look at any college schedule. In any given season, you play 10 patsies, 10 mediocre teams, and 10 good-really good clubs, no matter what conference you are in.

Carolina played:
    Nichols State
    Valpo
    Nevada
    Cal Santa Barbara
    Old Dominion
    South Carolina State
    Iona
    Rutgers
    Penn
    Mt. St. Mary's
    UNC - Asheville

There might have been 1 or 2 D-League players in that group, but not much more. That is not exactly a murderers row.
    Pretty sure you're arguing the same thing I am.

I think the international leagues play a ton more games too.

Turn Off Ads?