Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Should we have taken Cliff Floyd?

Should we have taken Cliff Floyd?

Cliff Floyd, although off last year, is a very good offensive player, and IMO, could've helped our tremendously depleted offense. The deal he signed with the Cubs is a one year, 3 mil guaranteed. There's also a player and club option AND a vesting option, with the deal maxing out at 2 years and 17.5M. If he gets 425 ABs and/or 100 games, he can opt out and be a free agent this year. He can max out this year at 7.5M if he reaches all his incentives, which are playing-time based.

The only question here is, would you be willing to pay up to an average of 8.75M for the next 2 years for Floyd? And seeing as that's what he would get if he plays all the games, that's what we'll say the price tag is. But when Floyd plays, he delivers. In '05, Floyd posted 273/358/505 with 34 bombs. Last year he was terrible at 244/324/407, but he was injured all year.

In my mind, this would have been a great deal for us. If necessary, he could've been put at 1B, and could've OF when Jr./Freel went down.

What's your take?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Should we have taken Cliff Floyd?

Don't think so. Only twice in 13 years has he hit 30 homers. That 30 homer season in 2005 is the only one in last 4 where he hit over 18.

He's 34.5 starting season, so he's likely to start heading down in production fairly soon.

He's only played in 1/3 of the Cubs games as he is coming off ankle surgery, and they are babying him by playing him at DH.
    Bud Selig: "I'm the worst commissioner ever"
    Rob Manfred: "Hold my beer"

https://redsintelligence.com/smforum/index.php

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

I don't think so. He's getting up there in age, is coming off an injury and IMO we have nowhere to put him.

I'd take him over Conine in a heartbeat though if he would have been willing to take a paycut and be relegated to the bench/platoon duty

Cliff Floyd in my opinion has downgraded himself to a DH, situational/bench player or pinch hitter.

He's a injury waiting to happen with his knees. His lost speed hurts him defensively and we have enough left handers in our line up as we speak.

IMO, He was a waste of money and I'm glad the Cubs got stuck with him. He's declining, injury prone and at this point I'd be inlcined to say that he might have a attitude problem being stuck on the bench.
    "For every moment of triumph, for every instance of beauty, many souls must be trampled."
    -Hunter S. Thompson

I'd prefer him at first over Hat and Conine at least
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I'd prefer him at first over Hat and Conine at least
    For some reason, I can't remember exactly what happened, but I believe Floyd was seriously injured playing 1B a long time ago, and that he's strongly resisted playing there again ever since. Or am I confusing him with someone else? Anyone else remember something like that?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

I thought that was in the OF and he was 1B now?
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by KronoRed View Post
    I thought that was in the OF and he was 1B now?
    Nope, he's still OF.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    For some reason, I can't remember exactly what happened, but I believe Floyd was seriously injured playing 1B a long time ago, and that he's strongly resisted playing there again ever since. Or am I confusing him with someone else? Anyone else remember something like that?
    You right, he broke his wrist playing for Montreal because they were full in the OF. Floyd had a bright future but he just can't stay healthy. A healthy Floyd would be a starter in Cincy or about any where else. I don't think you could take a chance on him!

We have enough big hitting, poor hitting left fielders. The best thing that could happen to the Reds is Pinella sits Murton and plays Floyd.

Having Jr and Freel would seem to be a full complement of OFs with injury issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigredfan#1 View Post
    You right, he broke his wrist playing for Montreal because they were full in the OF. Floyd had a bright future but he just can't stay healthy. A healthy Floyd would be a starter in Cincy or about any where else. I don't think you could take a chance on him!

Yes things went down hill for Clifford after that.I remember when they were drawing comparisons to Mccovey.

Clifford is from the Chicago area, I imagine this will be his final stop.
    "My mission is to be the ray of hope, the guy who stands out there on that beautiful field and owns up to his mistakes and lets people know it's never completely hopeless, no matter how bad it seems at the time. I have a platform and a message, and now I go to bed at night, sober and happy, praying I can be a good messenger." -Josh Hamilton

Turn Off Ads?