Turn Off Ads?

Thread: King's Island travel time to GABP

King's Island travel time to GABP

I will be going to Kings Island on June 8 and will be going to the Reds game that night, a 7:10 start. How much time will it take to travel from King's Island to the Holiday Inn (Covington)? I usually take the bus from the hotel to the GABP. I would like to be at GABP by 6:30 or so. Thanks.
    We only live in patches. - H. G. Wells

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: King's Island travel time to GABP

That's a Friday, right? So you have to drive to the hotel, check in, grab a bus to the park? During with Friday rush hour...

I'd leave K.I. nlt 4:30. But I don't like to be late.
    Will trade this space for a #1 starter.

I live out that way. 4:30 is probably safe.

Coming southbound down I-71 on a Friday evening can get rather trafficky. Particularly from about Fields-Ertel (just outside the I-275 outerbelt) down about to Red Bank (stop and go on a 3 lane interstate). After Red Bank it usually clears up and moves along to downtown.

If everything goes decently, you can make it in 30-40 minutes from KI to downtown. But I-71 traffic is volatile and wrecks (which are commonplace) can instantly add 30-60 minutes.

And if nothing goes wrong, you arrive at the ballpark early. Which is not a bad thing at all.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

We would already be checked into the hotel but that's about what I was thinking. Is 6 hours at KI enough to do most of the better rides and such? I have not been ther for over 20 years.

Manliness Personified HumnHilghtFreel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    We would already be checked into the hotel but that's about what I was thinking. Is 6 hours at KI enough to do most of the better rides and such? I have not been ther for over 20 years.
    In my experiences, if you're there early enough you can get on most everything with reasonable waits. 6 hours might not get in everything, but you should be able to get on a lot of rides

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson24 View Post
    Is 6 hours at KI enough to do most of the better rides and such? I have not been ther for over 20 years.
    When I go to KI, I get there right when it opens, and the lines are short. By lunchtime, I've ridden all of my high-priority rides, leaving the afternoon to take in everything else, and go back to those rides I want to do again.

Makes all the routine posts.

Since we're on the subject, where is the best place to park off of I-71 for GABP? I've always used I-75, but since I am new to using 71 (we moved late last year) where is the best place?

I get off at the 3rd Street exit and then turn right onto Vine. Go up two blocks or so and park under the Westin Hotel for $1.

If you don't want to walk the four or five blocks that separate the Westin and the ballpark, there are a half-dozen garages on 3rd Street. They charge $10, give or take.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    I get off at the 3rd Street exit and then turn right onto Vine. Go up two blocks or so and park under the Westin Hotel for $1.

If you don't want to walk the four or five blocks that separate the Westin and the ballpark, there are a half-dozen garages on 3rd Street. They charge $10, give or take.
    Is it easy to get out after the game? Thanks for the input!

Yep.

I park at the Holiday Inn in Covington and take the bus for $1 each way. There seems to be some parking lots across the street, as well as parking at the hotel's lot. I'm sure there are a number of other parking options on the bus route too. This method may take a little longer but it is pretty easy.

I almost always park at the Westin (under Fountain Square is also $1).

One thing I've found if parking in the garages along third... it takes FOREVER to get out of the parking building. I hate it and will NEVER park in any of those lots again.

I also like parking under the arena on Pete Rose Way; a much better choice for about the same money as those pits on 3rd. Take the elevator to street level, walk past the arena, and you're there.

If you get REALLY lucky, you might even find a spot on the street for free.
    "Enjoy this Reds fans, you are watching a legend grow up before your very eyes" ... DoogMinAmo on Adam Dunn

Quote Originally Posted by TeamBoone View Post

One thing I've found if parking in the garages along third... it takes FOREVER to get out of the parking building. I hate it and will NEVER park in any of those lots again.
    There is a garage at 3rd and Broadway that works. You get to turn right out of the garage onto Broadway which takes you up to 5th and on to I-71. Avoids the pedestrian traffic.

But yeah, the closer to Main St. you park on 3rd, the more you encounter all the people streaming out of the ballpark which slows things down considerably.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Supreme Jar Opener

Quote Originally Posted by HumnHilghtFreel View Post
    In my experiences, if you're there early enough you can get on most everything with reasonable waits. 6 hours might not get in everything, but you should be able to get on a lot of rides
    I've done it... on a slow day... rainy wednesdays are good Kings Island Days. On a Friday... You can leave later if you cut down Columbia Road to Loveland, get on I-275 and go to Covington that way.

Turn Off Ads?