Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Melky Cabrera?

Salukifan2

Melky Cabrera?

Since i'm not allowed to post on The Old Red Guard i'll just create this thread on the sun deck. He's gonna come cheap because of the PED suspension and if he is half as good as he was was this year he would still be a thousand times better than stubbs. Only question is whether or not he or Bruce could handle center field. HE could also have pretty insane power numbers in cincy

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Melky Cabrera?

Quote Originally Posted by Brittingham.Sam View Post
    Since i'm not allowed to post on The Old Red Guard i'll just create this thread on the sun deck. He's gonna come cheap because of the PED suspension and if he is half as good as he was was this year he would still be a thousand times better than stubbs. Only question is whether or not he or Bruce could handle center field. HE could also have pretty insane power numbers in cincy
    Still does not answer the question as to who will hit lead off. IF for some reason Ludwick gets away, we have a great spot in left field. Otherwise, I don't think he will come as Cheaply as people think.

Salukifan2

TO be honest i think the reds are crazy for not batting Phillips leadoff. He has good speed and a great on base. The guy would be an awesome power leadoff hitter

TO be honest i think the reds are crazy for not batting Phillips leadoff. He has good speed and a great on base. The guy would be an awesome power leadoff hitter
    While that may be true, I really like DatDudeBP in the 2 spot in front of Joey. He would see so many more good pitches that he can drive to all fields. Walking him would be the very last thing that any pitcher would ever want to do. It also gives him a chance to get some RBI's if our leadoff hitter ever gets on.

Salukifan2

I think that no matter if phillips is batting 1st or 2nd if votto is healthy he is going to get his 30 bombs and 100 rbis. Also i think melky could bat lead off especially because he's a switch hitter. Cincy is a small park so you don't need your center fielder to run a 4.40 40-yard dash. And becuase its the great american small park it makes more sense to build your team around power. Idk, PEDs aside he would definitely be a boost offensively which is what i, as an outsider, think is the number 1 issue to fix

Well I sure like his bat but will it be as good off the peds? Plus the Reds are a very squeaky clean org....don't think they'd go for him...

Quote Originally Posted by redsrolen View Post
    Well I sure like his bat but will it be as good off the peds? Plus the Reds are a very squeaky clean org....don't think they'd go for him...
    Edinson Volquez might disagree with you.

Salukifan2

Jocketty also needs to shmooze ownership into opening up some pay roll. That was his problem in st louis. He never spent much money, then mozeliak gets hired and all of the sudden ownership opens up its wallet. I agree that the reds are a squeaky clean organization, they have never had a player test positive before and if they signed Cabrera they should have stipulations about PEDs in the fine print. Additionaly, I think the reds could trade Mesoraco for solid veteran help wherever it is needed and then they should sign Napoli. Maybe i'm over estimating that capablity of the reds front office but you have to spend money to make money

I agree that the reds are a squeaky clean organization, they have never had a player test positive before
    Again, what about Volquez?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock of Truth View Post
    Again, what about Volquez?
    LMFAO at anyone who thinks "The Reds" are cleaner than anyone else...people are gonna do whatever it takes to win period.

I just want to get Drew Stubbs off PDDs. Performance-depressing drugs.

Resident Giants Fan

I hope you guys get him. Cabrera is an exceptional hitter and these national analysts who question what kind of player he is without PED's clearly didn't watch him hit this year.

Firstly, Cabrera wasn't blasting home runs out of the park like a textbook 'roid case. He was spraying knocks all over the park; going to both sides of the field and hitting seeds with incredible consistency. Angel Pagan broke the SF era triples record this year... And at the time of his suspension, Melky Cabrera had 3 more triples than Pagan did. He continued to lead the NL in total hits for 2 weeks after he was put on the shelf. I contest that while PED's can help you hit the ball farther, they won't help you put the bat on ball and that's what Cabrera excelled at. He's a natural hitter than understands the game and was leading the world in multi-hit games at the time of his suspension.

Cabrera's stigma has always been his conditioning: he was extremely fat and out of shape in Atlanta and, to a lesser degree, New York. I hypothesize that Cabrera's recent commitment to fitness include a testosterone enhancer that helped him keep his gut in check, moreso than turning him into a fitness monster. Melky never looked like a masher at the plate; he was a .330 hitter on pace to hit around 20 home runs. Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon in the outfield.

I'm one of many Giants fans that are absolutely begging management to give him another shot... But the word is, with Huff, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez' money coming off the books, the Giants are gonna make a serious run at Josh Hamilton. If that's the case and Cabrera is made to walk, I suggest you guys give him a serious look. You won't be disappointed.

Salukifan2

Damn. Yeah i gotta stop trusting chacha. They said no reds had ever been busted for PEDs doesn't change the fact that they should still go after him
    Last edited by Salukifan2; 10-15-2012 at 11:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonster View Post
    I hope you guys get him. Cabrera is an exceptional hitter and these national analysts who question what kind of player he is without PED's clearly didn't watch him hit this year.

Firstly, Cabrera wasn't blasting home runs out of the park like a textbook 'roid case. He was spraying knocks all over the park; going to both sides of the field and hitting seeds with incredible consistency. Angel Pagan broke the SF era triples record this year... And at the time of his suspension, Melky Cabrera had 3 more triples than Pagan did. He continued to lead the NL in total hits for 2 weeks after he was put on the shelf. I contest that while PED's can help you hit the ball farther, they won't help you put the bat on ball and that's what Cabrera excelled at. He's a natural hitter than understands the game and was leading the world in multi-hit games at the time of his suspension.

Cabrera's stigma has always been his conditioning: he was extremely fat and out of shape in Atlanta and, to a lesser degree, New York. I hypothesize that Cabrera's recent commitment to fitness include a testosterone enhancer that helped him keep his gut in check, moreso than turning him into a fitness monster. Melky never looked like a masher at the plate; he was a .330 hitter on pace to hit around 20 home runs. Not to mention, he has an absolute cannon in the outfield.

I'm one of many Giants fans that are absolutely begging management to give him another shot... But the word is, with Huff, Rowand, and Freddy Sanchez' money coming off the books, the Giants are gonna make a serious run at Josh Hamilton. If that's the case and Cabrera is made to walk, I suggest you guys give him a serious look. You won't be disappointed.

I really hope the Reds get him to. I just feel that during the offseason he will be motivated because of this scandal and will only continue to improve with his overall fitness and game.

But, knowing the reds, we'll probably get some old vet to replace stubbs will will barely perform better than what we had in the first place.

Resident Giants Fan

I've always thought Stubbs had 5-tool potential. From the outside looking in, he seemed like one of your guys' studs. What happened? He literally just can't stop striking out or what?

Turn Off Ads?